Whole Coach Water Filtration

EPaulikonis

Has the factory ever considered offering whole coach water filtration as an option, especially on the higher end, full-time coaches?

I recently purchased a Savannah floorplan and was somewhat surprised that there was no option available on the build sheet for whole coach water filtration system. The dealer said they can put in inline system under the sink, but that's somewhat short sighted in my opinion.

I plan on purchasing and installing a Metal Trap Ultra Dual System 22 from Hydro Pure Technologies, but I'm concerned that it will void warranty on the water lines installed. I'm also unsure of where/how I'll mount the filters. I plan to install on an interior space somewhere, but I also want to insure I maintain access to keep an eye on leaks and make filter changes easier.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello EPaulikonis and welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.
I doubt that the addition of the filter system will have any effect on your warranty.
A lot of people have added a system to their coach. Do a search here on the forum for some ideas.
But for the $350 price tag on the Metal Trap Ultra Dual System 22 I think you could do the same using filters from Home Depot or Menards for a lot less.
JMHO.
One more thing, consider attending the Ohio Chapter Rally in June.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Many of us use a dual filtration system. Mine is enclosed in a tote that also houses a couple different lengths of hose and a Watts regulator. My hoses are equipped with brass quick disconnects for easy hook ups and departures. In my filter housings I use a basic sediment and a charcoal filter.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have the exact same set up as Ray and it is very simple to hook and unhook and makes changing the filters out a breeze. No basement to unpack, no basement walls to remove, etc..

Rod Ditrich

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine is the same as Ray's, too. And I added a water meter to the output side. It feeds a homemade manifold in the UDC that connects to the city water and tank flush (they have real backflow valves). Another outlet on the manifold is for my short utility hose.

EPaulikonis

Appreciate all the immediate feedback. I will check out the local home stores to see what's available before purchasing. Do you put the tote outside the coach when in use? My coach is still being built, so I'm not sure how I could plumb a hose or hard line that would enable me to keep the tote in the basement storage area all the time. Any photos you'd be willing to share on your setups is appreciated.

Thanks...Eric

JohnDar

The tote sets under the coach while in use and the hose is fed up into the UDC via the port on the bottom of it. For travel, it all goes in the basement. I'll post some photos later when I get back to my PC.

JohnDar

OK, here's my set up. Since the filters are rated to 100 psi, I have the regulator on the output side to protect the coach. I put a pressure gage on the input side of the filter set for information. Between it and the regulator gage, I can see if the filters are getting clogged by noting any pressure difference. The inline water meter follows the regulator and gives me an accurate of water use, which also indicates when the filters need changing. It's also handy when adding water to the black tank to tell how much I've put in. As I mentioned, there are actual backflow preventers on both the city water and the black tank flush (I changed that fitting), so there is no concern of getting tank water back into the system, especially with the anti-siphon valve in place. And all connections have quick-connect fittings. I also don't leave my extra supply hose lying on the ground. I have a hose support that stakes into the ground and I droop the excess around that, near the pedestal. Makes clean up when breaking camp a lot easier than wiping 50 feet of muddy hose.
The photo of the UDC is a bit older and doesn't show the newer fitting on the tank flush, quick-connects or the extra 90° fittings I put on the connections on the UDC wall.

View attachment 29522View attachment 29523View attachment 29524

Hunter11

John, what did you use to seal off the hole where the hose comes up into the UDC? It appears to be green but I can't tell what you used.

JohnDar

John, what did you use to seal off the hole where the hose comes up into the UDC? It appears to be green but I can't tell what you used.

I got a remnant of 2" thick foam from JoAnn Fabric. Use the close-out cap as a template and cut about 1/2" - 3/4" wider in diameter.
Then cut a slit to the center and stuff it in the opening. Foam closes nicely around the hose and the satelite antenna cable after you stick them in the slit.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I was one of the Minority that installed a dual filter system in the basement of my rig. you can find my Cyclone Mod detailed here on the forum

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/30108-On-Board-Fresh-Water-Filtration-System

How ever you go about it - make sure you use a high flow filter so it does not affect the flow in the rig.

I selected two whole house GE Filters that have bypass so if the water quality is good ( like at home ) I can turn them off and improve the flow.

Kevin

piet10

OK, here's my set up. Since the filters are rated to 100 psi, I have the regulator on the output side to protect the coach. I put a pressure gage on the input side of the filter set for information. Between it and the regulator gage, I can see if the filters are getting clogged by noting any pressure difference. The inline water meter follows the regulator and gives me an accurate of water use, which also indicates when the filters need changing. It's also handy when adding water to the black tank to tell how much I've put in. As I mentioned, there are actual backflow preventers on both the city water and the black tank flush (I changed that fitting), so there is no concern of getting tank water back into the system, especially with the anti-siphon valve in place. And all connections have quick-connect fittings. I also don't leave my extra supply hose lying on the ground. I have a hose support that stakes into the ground and I droop the excess around that, near the pedestal. Makes clean up when breaking camp a lot easier than wiping 50 feet of muddy hose.
The photo of the UDC is a bit older and doesn't show the newer fitting on the tank flush, quick-connects or the extra 90° fittings I put on the connections on the UDC wall.

View attachment 29522View attachment 29523View attachment 29524

John, I like your manifold setup, but one question. I assume you use this setup at a campsite with fresh water for the backflush, and if at a dump station you disconnect that hose and run direct to the dump hose bib?

Al

JohnDar

Al, if I was at a place that I had to use a dump station, then I would run it direct to the tank flush. But for the 5 years we've had the BH, we've only been at full hook ups. Mostly at the CG where we have the seasonal site.

bdb2047

I installed a filter in UDC. 1 quick connect to hook up all water. I have a valve before filter to do tank flusher 2 valves after filter,1 can fill fresh water tank or to let pressure off when disconnecting,1 shuts camper off also have a pressure gauge. The hose from valve for tank flusher can be disconnected and used for hose to wash ect.001.jpg

jbeletti

Eric,

In your Savannah, there will be room behind the UDC to install a dual filter system. During a rally last fall, a friend and I removed my utility wall behind the UDC to install my system. I ganged 2 GE whole-house water filter canisters. I removed a short hose from the back of the Anderson valve and fed the output of the valve into my filtration system, then back to the valve. I created a stand out of 2x4s to mount the filters to. Worked out well. I used Sharkbite fittings so the whole thing can be removed in 5 minutes for me to reinstall in the next coach. Looks like I wrote an article about it with pictures on my blog (link).

SeattleLion

Many of us use a dual filtration system. Mine is enclosed in a tote that also houses a couple different lengths of hose and a Watts regulator. My hoses are equipped with brass quick disconnects for easy hook ups and departures. In my filter housings I use a basic sediment and a charcoal filter.

x2 I have the same system.