Low-hanging underbelly

SDfromSD

I suppose most of you reading that title thought I had a personal problem..
Just had a quick question regarding the underbelly of the camper. Our 37QB has a black "ribbed" panel that runs the length of the camper underneath. After looking closer at it this weekend there were a couple bolts that sheared off while drilling through the frame enabling it to hang down a bit. Upon pushing it up a bunch of water came out the side which I'm hoping is from the rain that I pulled it home in, and not leaking lines. I can see a reflective mat in there which I'm assuming is an insulating layer of some sort, but there is/was water accumulating in the middle. I have since added a couple screws along the frame but the weight of the wires and hoses inside tend to push down a bit on the underbelly.
I'm looking at adding a piece of aluminum angle iron across the bottom to hold it up a little better, just curious if anyone else has done the same or don't worry about it? Also is there any concern with remaining water under there? I'd rather not drill weep holes but I guess I could.
Any advice is appreciated.

whp4262

I have the same coroplast under my Cyclone and it hangs down a little but I don't think I have ever had water collect in there, or at least enough to matter when pulling in the rain. I would suspect that you may have a leak.

SDfromSD

I'm hoping it's not a leak but certainly could be I guess. The dealer said they tested all the water lines but doubtful they would have caught this. The part that was hanging down a bit is right in front of the tires which is why I suspected it was rain. There would be a ton of water splashing around in that area while pulling. I guess I'll know more this weekend while camping and running the water. It certainly isn't sealed along the frame to keep all water out.
Thanks

thibideau

We had a problem with water in the underbelly of our Cyclone as well. The overflow drains from the fresh water tanks were draining into the underbelly. Drains are now visible and working properly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Quick fix, drill a 1/4" hole in the coroplast at the lowest point.....just dont drill any deeper that a 1/4"......could be a holding tank there. It is very possible driving in the rain caused the water. If you do have a water leak, it will keep leaking and you will know it.

SDfromSD

Good point, if there is a leak it will keep dripping. I'll pop a hole with the drill or maybe just use a utility knife to cut a little slot. Only reason I hesitated on that was the foil-looking insulation piece. I guess one little hole won't hurt.
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
SD, drilling a 1/4" hole would be better. The insulation is nothing special.....tin foil with bubble wrap in the middle that you can buy a HD or Lowes. You might need to use an awl or something to poke a hole in the insulation.

BTW, Hope it has warmed up In South D some. March 3rd 2014....-6* from Belfourch (spellin) on 212 headed east and the next day blizzard in Aberdeen. 17* the highest for the next week in Ellendale ND. BRRUUUUUUUUUUUUR

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We had a split kitchen drain pipe that was leaking into the underbelly area... dealer had not winterized that particular drain pipe while we were having them work on rig over winter. Took rig out on spring trip, two days of washing dishes with all the sink water basically draining into the underbelly area!!! I stepped out of rv after washing dishes the second/third day and saw soapy water coming out and all over the concrete pad site.... I was a "newbie" and asked DH if it was suppose to do that:p...of course he said "no" and proceeded to fix problem. When he partially removed the coroplast a bunch more water came out. So, of course, it could be something like a broken/split pipe and water was being "stored" till it reached the spill point. Hopefully it is buildup from rain...Don was not pleased at all to be working on something that should not have happened. He did save the pipe section to take back to dealer to show them and they were apologetic and did "make amends".
Good luck trouble-shooting.

SDfromSD

Thanks all for your help.
Bob&Patty, the weather isn't all that great right now but supposed to warm up close to 60 this weekend so we're going on our maiden voyage with the new camper. I'm hoping I'm not repairing leaky lines but will deal with it then.

pegmikef

We had a problem with water in the underbelly of our Cyclone as well. The overflow drains from the fresh water tanks were draining into the underbelly. Drains are now visible and working properly.

SDfromSD. Can you see your fresh water tank overflow under your rig? Mine is just behind the DS rear tire and is a tannish color. I don't know where the overflows are on the Cyclone.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I am a bit confused where the water is in your underbelly. Front of wheels, could be grey water tank issues and if it is on top and rear of tires it is fresh water. I had problems in both areas. Front area was from road water spray coming off TV tires. Rear area was from over flow lines which pulled back into frame and dumped water into under belly. Have you filled and travelled with fresh water tank filled? If not then it is not your fresh water tank.

SDfromSD

PegMikeF, I haven't looked for my tank overflows yet.
Murry135, the water in my underbelly was in front of the axels, and it was exactly where it was hanging down where a couple screws had broke off in front of the tires. Looks like they were that way from factory. We pulled home in a snow/rain storm so I am hoping it is rain. We literally just picked it up from the dealer a couple weeks ago and have not had it out. As far as I know the fresh water was never filled, or the grey tanks. Maybe they did at the dealership but I doubt it.
i just need to poke a hole or two and monitor it I think. I gathered some ideas on it though so I'm glad I asked, but honestly I hadn't done much digging or monitoring yet.

murry135

SD,
Sounds like water infiltrated from road and tire spray. My recommendation is if you can take it to dealer to open and reseal for warranty purpose or if you want just drop a section of coroplast let it dry out and the replace and seal with black silicone caulking and if needed black expanding foam insulation. Make sure it is sealed all around front section.

Murry135

SDfromSD

Is your coroplast sealed to the frame? Mine is definitely not. Maybe the foil insulating layer is somewhere above it but my coroplast is not. Just some self-tapping screws with large washers are holding it to the bottom of the frame.
Curious what others have?

jnbhobe

Is your coroplast sealed to the frame? Mine is definitely not. Maybe the foil insulating layer is somewhere above it but my coroplast is not. Just some self-tapping screws with large washers are holding it to the bottom of the frame.

That's the way they are all held up TEC screws and fender washers.

murry135

After I found water from tire/road spray I had dealership reseal and add more TEC screws to make it more secure and hopefully more water tight.

whp4262

SDfromSD my coroplast is fastened the same way and is not sealed to the frame.

SDfromSD

Thank you all for your input, glad I am not missing a bunch of sealant. I did add a couple screws to that area but will still probably put a hole or two in the coroplast for remaining water, then monitor it this weekend.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many of us have experienced the 'water in the underbelly' syndrome. When driving in the rain the tires kick up water which will find its way in any little opening in the underbelly. It will then cause the underbelly to sag until the water is drained or evaporates. Trying the best the seal it is the best solution. The foil looking stuff above the 'coroplast' is just foil insulation. Some units have fiberglass batt type insulation above the foil. Making a drain hole in the coroplast to drain the water is the solution many of us have done.

We have 14 Silverado 35SE That has a problem with the Black Water Flush. The fitting going into the tank was cracked. If you let black tank get more than half full you have more than just water in there. Dealer ordered new tank and installed it and guess what the fitting is leaking. Not broken this time just not properly sealed when assembling it from the factory. Not a very happy camper right now. My fresh water tank has 2 over flow pipes coming out under the slides they are both red pipes coming out of the frame under the slides. I filled my blank tank up full into the toilet and let it sit for a couple hours and came back only to find the water level was not there confirming my suspitions of a leak in the tank. Hope some of this helps with you figure out your situation?

Scott & Kelly