Starlight Smart Light 1000 lens defect - replacement

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All who have replaced their porch light with Starlight's Smart Light 1000 motion detecting LED light, please read! I saw this in the Startlights "Morning Star" Newsletter.

15_lg.jpg
66.jpg

StarLights product alert.
Dear friends. Recently we have experienced an abnormally high rate of failure with respect to the small lenses that cover the PIR sensor on either side of the Smart Light 1000. We traced the failures back to a container we received a little over 2 years ago. The problem we found was that the plastics factory did not follow our formula, and consequently there was not enough UV additive in the plastics. Thus, the sun "ate" the lenses and caused them to crumble. While there is no risk of damage to the internal workings of the Smart Light, a missing lens will cause the unit to function improperly.

We have checked all inventory and verified that none of the fixtures on hand have this issue. However, there are many in the field that slipped by us. If you or anyone you know has a problem with these lenses, please contact us so that we can send you complimentary replacements. So sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, but we are committed to resolving this issue for you. Thank you for your patronage. Happy Camping!

contact@starlightsinc.com
Phone: (800) 883-5444 • (805) 685-8500

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Mine look OK, but have quit working. Suspect this may be the issue. Thanks for the contact info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

I had not had the chance to report yet but will comment here. Noticed mine had crumbled on my last trip. Called and someone answered the phone and was directed to the designer/owner. Spent 15 minutes with me on the phone chewing the fat.

3 - 4 days later the lenses arrived.

Found out out this light is built like a tank. 5 screws to remove the lens, 4 more to take off the unit. Once off 4 more tiny screws to remove and the old bits slide out and the new easily went back in.

All is working again. Great product, great support!

Boca_Shuffles

I had not had the chance to report yet but will comment here. Noticed mine had crumbled on my last trip. Called and someone answered the phone and was directed to the designer/owner. Spent 15 minutes with me on the phone chewing the fat.

3 - 4 days later the lenses arrived.

Found out out this light is built like a tank. 5 screws to remove the lens, 4 more to take off the unit. Once off 4 more tiny screws to remove and the old bits slide out and the new easily went back in.

All is working again. Great product, great support!

I fully agree with the above statements.

Our lenses disintegrated when touched. Called Starlights and talked to Customer Support. They had me send an email with my shipping address for the replacement Fresnel lenses. No questions, no charges.

Lenses came about three days later in a standard business envelope.

Easy replacement. Hardest part was removing the excess caulking that I put on during the original installation.

Great company to buy from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pegmikef

Thanks Erika, Checked mine and must have the new ones as they are still ok, Will keep an eye on them.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
One of mine is broken. I put this off and need to call. Thanks for the reminder. Trace