Prices on used...

iaflatlander

Just made the drive from Texas to Iowa on I35. There must be 1,000 pickup of any variety along that stretch. What I'm trying to figure out is why do they hold so much value? Supply and demand should clobber their worth. Another bubble?

Sumo

I just bought a used GMC duramax, 2006 with 95000 miles. Payed $25,0000 about 35% of a new one. I'm happy. But your right they do want a lot for a new or used truck.

Miltp920

I bought my 2003 GMC 2500 HD CC SB 4x4 from a dealer, sure I paid near the top of the range. 165,000 miles $17,000. Garage kept, very clean.

scottyb

I just bought a used GMC duramax, 2006 with 95000 miles. Payed $25,0000 about 35% of a new one. I'm happy. But your right they do want a lot for a new or used truck.

You could have gotten a gasser a lot cheaper with 95K on it. :D My trade-ins (diesels) with high mileage (186K-256K) have brought 35-40% of their new cost, going back to the early 90's. I drove them 6 - 7 years and part of it was due to the rising cost of the new trucks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There was a great-looking 2013 Chevy 3500 4x4 crew cab LTZ DRW with 15k on the local dealer's lot. I happened to see it in their ad, going into the local paper, when I was working there on Monday. Stopped by and looked at it. $49,699. Sweet ride! silver with tow prep and black leather, spray bed liner, lots of chrome, not a scratch anywhere. Stopped by Tuesday to look again, it's moved to back of lot. Used car salesman sees me, asks to help. Tells me it's sold. :(

Before I knew it was sold, I had looked up blue book trade in value on our 2004 3500 GMC 4x4 DRW. $15k! We paid $18k for it (used) in 2010.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been shopping for a new truck (hope to sign the deal tomorrow) . . .

I've looked at both new and used . . . and right now used trucks are selling for about the same price as new ones!

So it looks like a brand new truck will be in my driveway.

iaflatlander

I've been shopping for a new truck (hope to sign the deal tomorrow) . . .

I've looked at both new and used . . . and right now used trucks are selling for about the same price as new ones!

So it looks like a brand new truck will be in my driveway.

Frankly, this is the point of the thread. Why are used being sold at nearly new prices? Who does this make sense to? Given the used inventory, what happened to supply and demand?

pegmikef

Here in west Texas they can't keep used diesel pickups on the lot. When I traded my 2011 F250 in on my 2013 F350 they gave me a little over 30K in trade and I had paid a litlle over 36K two and a half years earlier. Since it had low mileage for a diesel (35,000 almost all towing) it was sold before I had final delivery of my F350. Between the oil field and ranchers, they are snapped up immediately.

argyll1st

This thread makes my ears perk up, I'm sitting in Scotland (UK) looking to buy a truck in the US, I've narrowed down the search for a 5er but I'm looking at truck prices and there huge ! especially used trucks, I virtually had to give my last F-350 king ranch away in CA 3 years ago and I'm finding it hard to get a replacement, the new 5th wheel will be in Grand Rapids so I need to fly from the UK to wherever has the cheapest trucks ( I Had thought Detroit ) but as I sit here on autotrader & Ebay I'm really struggling to work out where to buy from ! what is the cheapest state to buy a new ford F-250 from , or at least a near new second hand one.

mobilcastle

I am hoping my dually gives me a lot of miles. These diesel trucks are not cheap!! I tried to find a used one but it was just as cheap to buy the new one-strange.

scottyb

This thread makes my ears perk up, I'm sitting in Scotland (UK) looking to buy a truck in the US, I've narrowed down the search for a 5er but I'm looking at truck prices and there huge ! especially used trucks, I virtually had to give my last F-350 king ranch away in CA 3 years ago and I'm finding it hard to get a replacement, the new 5th wheel will be in Grand Rapids so I need to fly from the UK to wherever has the cheapest trucks ( I Had thought Detroit ) but as I sit here on autotrader & Ebay I'm really struggling to work out where to buy from ! what is the cheapest state to buy a new ford F-250 from , or at least a near new second hand one.

Yep, you had the misfortune of having the 6.0L. Even if your's was perfect in every way, the reputation followed it. I would guess that Texas would be among the least expensive since every dealer in the state has their lots full of them. However, the oil field seems to be driving prices on everything right now. You can see the inventories of every dealer in the state at Texas Ford Dealers Do you have a residence in the US. If you had a Texas residence, you only pay taxes on the difference between trade-in and new.

Lynn1130

As long as there are farms, ranches and trailers of any kind and cowboys both real and wanna be there will be pickup trucks. There are still a lot of dirt roads left but who knows they may try to pave all those over too.

Last edited:

argyll1st

Yep, you had the misfortune of having the 6.0L. Even if your's was perfect in every way, the reputation followed it. I would guess that Texas would be among the least expensive since every dealer in the state has their lots full of them. However, the oil field seems to be driving prices on everything right now. You can see the inventories of every dealer in the state at Texas Ford Dealers Do you have a residence in the US. If you had a Texas residence, you only pay taxes on the difference between trade-in and new.

Yes your right there, it only had 55,000miles on it but the 6.0L did come up a few times when potential buyers tried googling that model, I'm not entirely set on the ford but I am down sizing , the big dually is a nightmare to park in and around the LA & San Francisco areas without taking up two spaces, I'm looking at a lightweight 5er and a 2500 single axle this time, but I'm undecided,might just go for a new basic work style 4 door truck, I take it everyone is committed to 4x4 as a hauler truck ? I see some cheap 4x2 stuff, we don't pay tax on our purchases as they are registered in the UK rather than US , (final destination)