Hard to believe

Capt7383

We called Heartland today and asked for a replacement ceiling led for our four week old big country 3070re the one in question had three working led's out of 15. I would have been happy to replace it myself. We were told we had to have a service tech verify the problem. We have the rv in a campground and we are not going to drag it in for service for a non working light. The rep. At Heartland said we should pay for a service call from a mobile repair tech. And once verified that the light don't work heartland would pay for the light but not the service call. We declined of course. Heartland said the problem would be documented and covered when we take the unit in for service. Would it not be cheaper for heartland to mail me an led as opposed to paying a shop to install it? One of the reasons we bought Heartland was that we were told several times that replacement parts under warranty could be mailed to me so I could make the repair myself at no charge to heartland. This was confirmed by a heartland rep at the Cleveland rv show. After all we heard about the outstanding customer service at heartland this is disheartning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Capt, yes, HL has at times sent parts to owners. There is maybe a reason they did not sent you this part. They may need the old part back to get paid back for the part. Thats the way it works in the automodile industry. Dealers have to buy the part and sometimes have to return it to be paid and have to prove that it is defective. Any auto dealer will not just give you a warranty part over the phone unless they inspect it 1st.

After all HL does not make these parts, they buy them like you would. Best I can explain it to you.

dave10a

I guess times change. Heartland has sent me parts and requested return which I did. If I didn't return the bad part they would charge me for the part after 30days.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I recently had my living room entry door lock fail on our Cyclone 4000 and locked us out. Thank goodness we had the rear door to gain entry. I contacted Heartland and without question they shipped us a new door lock, and did not request the other lock in exchange.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

danemayer

Hi Capt7383,

You might try taking a picture of the light if you can get one that shows the 3LEDs lit out of 15. If the customer service person looked at a photo, he might be more inclined to agree that there's really no reason to involve an authorized technician to verify that the bulb is defective. And no reason to pay a tech to replace a bulb that is user replaceable. An no reason for you to spend $50 in diesel or $80 in mobile tech charges to get a professional to replace a light bulb.

You may have just gotten Nicky Newguy before he had his 2nd coffee. Call back.

ParkIt

Dan, my thought would be HL is wondering if there may be an electrical issue vs some burned out bulbs - if only 3 of 15 are working it could be more than just the bulb.
Our insurance covers a mobile tech so I never worry about that and if I had the same problem, I'd want the electrical and light housings checked for documentation. HL could have been sent a bad batch (which come in pallets) and need to get on the vendor that they bought them from.

Always better to be safe than have major electrical issues! IMO

wdk450

We called Heartland today and asked for a replacement ceiling led for our four week old big country 3070re the one in question had three working led's out of 15. I would have been happy to replace it myself. We were told we had to have a service tech verify the problem. We have the rv in a campground and we are not going to drag it in for service for a non working light. The rep. At Heartland said we should pay for a service call from a mobile repair tech. And once verified that the light don't work heartland would pay for the light but not the service call. We declined of course. Heartland said the problem would be documented and covered when we take the unit in for service. Would it not be cheaper for heartland to mail me an led as opposed to paying a shop to install it? One of the reasons we bought Heartland was that we were told several times that replacement parts under warranty could be mailed to me so I could make the repair myself at no charge to heartland. This was confirmed by a heartland rep at the Cleveland rv show. After all we heard about the outstanding customer service at heartland this is disheartning.

Suggest you copy your posting and send it to Eric McDaniel (Service Department Manager) ( Eric.McDaniel@HeartlandRVs.com ) at Heartland with your contact data and VIN number. I bet this will get taken care of soon.

DonnyB007

To me, what seems unusual are 12 non-working LED's in a 2 week old unit. If it was just 3 non-working LED's then sure, here are your bulbs. But with that many bulbs not working you have to wonder if there is a cause for making them blow. The HL guy likely wanted a service tech guy explore this problem so it won't happen again. No sense in sending out 40 dollar LED bulbs and have them immediately blow again. Just my thoughts....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that the OP is saying that one light fixture is not working properly.
The ceiling LED fixtures have 15 LED's mounted on a plastic board. Only 3 of the 15 are glowing.
There are no expensive bulbs as entire fixture costs about $15 and is mounted with 3 screws.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
FIW, the roof marker lamps on GMC and Chevy trucks are LED's, made in our favorite exporting country. All of them failed on my truck within three months, and not at the same time. Warranty covered it. Cheap LED's either work, don't work, or die prematurely. All if the LED's I've put in the rig, replacing all of the 12V lights continue to function. They were not exactly cheap, but made "over there." The ones I've installed in my house are assembled in the USA and have a 10 year guarantee. But they are anything but cheap.

Just my discounted $0.02 worth.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Heartland just called me. The light is on the way. Many thanks to all especially Heartland service

Good to hear! Methinks maybe there was a little intervention behind the scenes to make it happen. It was done for me (with a similar vendor issue) back in 2009.