Am I OK with this rig!?

OtterMN

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, and maybe that is what adds to my confusion... so many answers! Here is my set-up:

2012 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel, automatic (factory brake controller & engine brake)
Pull-Rite 18K sliding hitch
Air-ride lift bags
2011 Cyclone 3950 with Onan 5.5

My son races motocross, we usually have an electric golf cart, and several 65cc motorcycles, plus full water and gas tanks. We've been using it with no issues, but I'm wondering what the correct answer is... and your opinions. Are we legal? Thanks!

Dan O

MTPockets

No way to know without payload. Your truck will have a sticker on the driver door post that shows maximum payload for your truck. Your towing power I'm sure is fine, but you need to know how much weight is on the truck, including people, hitch, any other cargo in the truck, then the pin weight of your fifth wheel. My guess is you're over, but only a trip to the scales will tell.

danemayer

For a while on the RAM 3500 single rear wheel, the payload was only about 2700 lbs - 300 more than a 2500 model. Don't know if they changed that on 2012s. But the door sticker will tell the story.

RobP

Correct! We just pulled our 4100 from Missouri to Colorado, pulled across a set of cat scales and this was our weight
steer axle. 4960
drive axle. 7800
trailer axle. 14600
i had the truck weighed before we left and I was at 8860 fully loaded. So my pin weight came in at 3900.
My 2012 dually has a GWR of 13300 so we were within 540 lbs. not hauling toys or water. A little fuel and some furniture.
these toyhaulers are heavy beasts. I hit 40 Mph winds going across kansas and I am really glad I had the dually. Truck did great but when the winds were on my nose my mileage went to pot! :(
Good luck!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If you have your VIN handy you can go the the Ram Trucks website and click on "Look Up My Vehicle" to get your numbers

DW_Gray

Dan O,

In order to ensure you are not exceeding the weight ratings, you'll need to weigh your truck and Cyclone. Follow the step by step weighing process and get your weight safety report at FWS.