Radio Antenna to Coax to Exterior Jack Antenna

wb2nco

We have a Focus T22 with a bundled up dipole radio antenna that is stuffed in a small compartment above the radio. There is no exterior radio antenna. I get terrible radio reception!!. There is no room to stretch out the dipole antenna.. So I was wondering if I could tap into the coax rv antenna to achieve better radio reception? Will this work? I installed a Jack Antenna this past weekend and wondered if I could install a coax splitter and tap the radio antenna into it? Does radio shack or anyone have such a wire adapter? Will it short out the radio if there is a booster involved with the Jack tv antenna?

Anyone?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some of us with 5th wheels have done just that. If your radio has a coax connection, run it to the TV antenna connector with a 75ohm splitter to branch between the TV and the radio. I had an external radio antenna that was useless. It actually fell off somewhere on the road (after I quit using it).

wb2nco

Thanks for the reply. The radio does not have a coax input/output. However it does have 'audio input coax female connector' (only to assume that this is not for used as an antenna). The dipole antenna is a standard motorola dipole male push in style antenna. 2613_small.gifHas anyone seen this adapt to coax?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The OEM antenna wire on mine was a shop made hybrid. One end, to the antenna, had that style of connector. It was cobbled to a coax connector to attach to the stereo. I think it's still in the rig someplace.

Tool958

I'm not sure the Jensen adapter will work as it is a two piece antenna. I don't know if the coax and dipole antennae systems are compatible being ran together. If it is, it would sure make a better antenna than the one we lost somewhere along the road. I opted to put in the Tune Trapper amplified antenna. It installed behind the radio in the wall and seems to pick up stations as well or better than the factory one. I don't have to worry about the outside one coming off or being torn off again.
Maybe somebody will chime in about the adapter as to whether or not it will work that knows more about it than I do. I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ICamel

I just ordered one from Jensen direct. $9.99 + free shipping. I will report back after receipt and installation.

Westwind

OK - can you explain what you did - I'm assuming this purchase was to connect the radio to the jack antenna via the coax cable that is connected to the TV?
What model Jenson Radio do you have?

ICamel

5r is put away for the winter or I would take some photo's for you. The Jensen cable plugs into the back of the radio using the standard motorola dipole male push in connector as wb2nco shows in the post on 5/6/14. The other end of the Jensen cable has the male coax connector that I screwed into one of the connections on the back side of the TV Antenna/Satellite/Cable wall plate connection that you would run to your TV. I don't recall the manufacturer of our AM/FM/CD player, but the antenna connection should be universal and the Jensen adapter would fit most any radio.
OK - can you explain what you did - I'm assuming this purchase was to connect the radio to the jack antenna via the coax cable that is connected to the TV?
What model Jenson Radio do you have?