What item can you not camp without?

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Do I have to pick just one item!!?? I can't...so....a good book, my knitting/crocheting and a lawn chair to read that good book and work on my crafts while outside enjoying the weather. The coffee & coffee pot are also important:)

Of course getting "there" is another story...all safety stuff is important, like the TPMS, ABC fire extinguisher, flares & phones/charger to name a few.

Now Don will have a different list as far as once we get to where we are going...I'm thinking that as long as his satellite is working and we have electricity he's truly a "happy camper"!!!

Utopia2

As our camping style changed over the years, our must have list also changed. If my only option was a tent, I wouldn't be camping anymore. My back couldn't take it. Now in my wonderful trailer, with a nice comfy mattress all is good. Just need a good book, my knitting, coffee maker for morning, and some kind of adult beverage for later. I am one happy camper.

pegmikef

For functional stuff I always carry a short step ladder (5 feet) and a folding extension ladder (14 feet).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What item can you not camp without? . . . Actually . . . electricity!

Actually . . . electricity!

As long as I have electric and can charge camera batteries, run the microwave, coffee maker, the TV's and DVD players . . . I'm all set!

A generator is in the future . . . but due to weight restrictions . . . not today!

JohnD

;)Suck up...ha ha ha

I know . . . !

I will be going to our first campout of the season on Memorial Day, but as it turns out, my wife has to work the next two days . . . so I'll be setting up by myself!

I'll have a couple of our cats with me . . . but I will have to cook for myself!

Campout2012SpicyChecksEmail-PC260023.jpg

skyguy

RV keys! Don't ask how I know.

And JohnD, I'll be by to check up on that beer at the Spring Rally!

Al

wdk450

Re: What item can you not camp without? . . . Actually . . . electricity!

John:
Have you thought about solar power? The weighty thing you may have to add is another battery. There are new, lightweight, flexible, solar panels. I have seen boondockers at Quartzsite that use not only roof mounted solar, but portable panels they bring outside and just angle and bungee/stake down. On the generator, how about something like a Honda 2000 in your truck bed? Just plug your shore power cable into that.That might not run the Air conditioner, but will be fine for everything else.

SailorDon

......On the generator, how about something like a Honda 2000 in your truck bed? Just plug your shore power cable into that.That might not run the Air conditioner, but will be fine for everything else.
I agree 100% with the generator. It is a "must have" item. For campsites with no hook-ups, rest areas, and boondocking, with summertime temperatures in the 90's, I have to have air conditioning.
My Champion 3100W powers my 13.5 Kbtu air conditioner (but I can't use the microwave and A/C together).

It weighs 90 pounds and fits nicely in the back of my pickup truck.

It even has a separate 12 VDC output in case you ran your batteries down and need to recharge them.

Other than the microwave and the A/C, I can run everything else from propane and 12 VDC battery (with inverter).
Why have a generator that isn't powerful enough to run the air conditioner? I don't think the Honda 2000 generator will run a travel trailer air conditioner.

priorguy

After last weekend I'm glad we had a good first aid kit and St. John Ambulance training to use it. Our oldest son (7) crashed his bike on a gravel hill and got scraped up pretty bad. Needed 4 stitches on his chin. I'll also add bike helmets as I'm pretty sure it saved his face. He's gonna pull through and it'll be a story to tell his kids one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonnyB007

Yes, we purchased the Honda EU3000si generator and that powers everything in our trailer including the A/C 13,500 BTU). Used it lots and no problems at all yet.

JohnD

John:
Have you thought about solar power? The weighty thing you may have to add is another battery. There are new, lightweight, flexible, solar panels. I have seen boondockers at Quartzsite that use not only roof mounted solar, but portable panels they bring outside and just angle and bungee/stake down. On the generator, how about something like a Honda 2000 in your truck bed? Just plug your shore power cable into that.That might not run the Air conditioner, but will be fine for everything else.

We were in Quartzsite this weekend, and I was amazed at the hundreds . . . or maybe thousands of campers boondocking along the highway!

The weight issue is no longer an issue as we replaced our old truck with a new one that has more than enough juice for whatever we put in it!

So we will be looking at generators this winter, and maybe solar options as well!

Rodbuster

I try to be nice, I don't bother anybody, I just hang around saying my rosary and everybody still picks on me.

Dick

AAdams

Everything is in the RV. Just do the checklist and hook up. We just don't know where we are going next, or when that will be.