I noticed something interesting the other day . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Tuesday, while at my dealership having my trailer de-winterized, I was walking around the lot looking at new trailers, and noticed one thing!

All of the new Heartland travel trailers on the lot didn't have Towmax (ie.- BlowMax) tires on them!

They had a brand name of "Tow King" on them! :confused:

Has Heartland finally seen the error of their ways???

Or are these 'BlowMax' tires just renamed to throw us off?

I also noticed that none of the other brands on the lot had' BlowMax Power King' tires on them as well . . .

That being said, I didn't recognize any of the other brand of tires that I saw.

But they weren't 'BlowMax' tires! :cool:

oldmannj

I'm thinking it's probably the same "poo" with a different name. Molds are cheaper to redo than tire compounds. I guess time will tell. ED.:angel:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Tuesday, while at my dealership having my trailer de-winterized, I was walking around the lot looking at new trailers, and noticed one thing!

All of the new Heartland travel trailers on the lot didn't have Towmax (ie.- BlowMax) tires on them!

I also noticed that none of the other brands on the lot had' BlowMax Power King' tires on them as well . . .

Just wondering why you pay a dealer to de-winterize your coach? Really it not that difficult.

JohnD

Just wondering why you pay a dealer to de-winterize your coach? Really it not that difficult.

Originally the de-winterizing was supposed to be included in the cost of the winterizing, but apparently over the winter they (dealership) decided to not honor their fall price and started charging extra for this service without bothering to tell their customers until the job was done and handed out the bill.

As for it not being all that difficult, that may be, but that is just something I choose to let the service department handle!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not wanting to stay "off topic" I'll comment on having someone else winterize the rig. Hopefully they would warranty their work in the event a freeze occured that damaged a component in the trailer. Just for the peace of mind, I think it's a good idea and convenient.
Back to tires now...

JohnD

I'll comment on having someone else winterize the rig. Hopefully they would warranty their work in the event a freeze occured that damaged a component in the trailer. Just for the peace of mind, I think it's a good idea and convenient.

Exactly.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm wondering why someone would pay someone to "winterize" it. Air compressor, & some antifreeze in the traps, done:D

I pump antifreeze into the system after using the compressor to blow the water out. Then pour extra into the traps. I have exposed low point drains on my rig, so I'll flow some AF out of them, too. In the spring, I use the compressor to blow out the antifreeze, then pump fresh water into the system to clear it. Once at the CG and hooked to city water, I let all faucets run for several minutes to finish the job.

wal_mart

Tow Max are manufactured by power King or visa versa. The tires I had on my 2012 had Power King/Tow Max on sidewall.

JohnD

Tow Max are manufactured by power King or visa versa. The tires I had on my 2012 had Power King/Tow Max on sidewall.

We all know that . . . matter of fact, thats what is on my trailer right now.

The new ones on the lot had a different brand name on them . . . TOW KING . . . not Tow Max Power King.

I know it's highly possible that they are the same tires as Tow Max as they may have changed the name because all of the bad press they have been getting.

When I pick up my trailer next week I'll take a closer look and grab a couple of photos of them.

wdk450

Back to Tires:
Did you see any BIG 5th wheels with "Tow King" on them (i.e. the 235-85R16 LRG size)?
BTW a Google search on "Tow King Tires" gave no valid hits - all of the results were for Towmax PowerKing tires. I wonder if these are so new there is nothing on the internet about them.

JohnDar

Back to Tires:
Did you see any BIG 5th wheels with "Tow King" on them (i.e. the 235-85R16 LRG size)?
BTW a Google search on "Tow King Tires" gave no valid hits - all of the results were for Towmax PowerKing tires. I wonder if these are so new there is nothing on the internet about them.

If you check the BH models on the HL website, you'll find some of the ones with a GVWR of 15500 lbs. coming with load range E, not G, tires on them. The later models of the 3670 were switched to E's, too, if I recall. They did this a couple of years ago. Fortunately, mine are G's and will never be E's.

wdk450

If you check the BH models on the HL website, you'll find some of the ones with a GVWR of 15500 lbs. coming with load range E, not G, tires on them. The later models of the 3670 were switched to E's, too, if I recall. They did this a couple of years ago. Fortunately, mine are G's and will never be E's.

John:
When my Bighorn came out of factory frame flex repair last summer, I noted that the outside VIN sticker had been replaced near the front cap where they worked. The new sticker had a GVW of 15500, where my original sticker had 16000. I wonder if ALL the Bighorns previously produced have been downgraded in GVW?

JohnD

Back to Tires:

I didn't look at any of the 5th-wheel trailers when I was there, but I will be picking up my trailer next week and will check them out to see what tires are on the new ones!

I will say that the Tow King tires I saw sure looked a lot like the Blow Max Power Kings that are on my trailer!

I also looked at a couple of other non-Heartland trailers that were there and none of them had the Blow Max tires on them, either.

One was a brand name tire that started with a 'W' that I had never heard of . . .

Last edited:

JohnDar

John:
When my Bighorn came out of factory frame flex repair last summer, I noted that the outside VIN sticker had been replaced near the front cap where they worked. The new sticker had a GVW of 15500, where my original sticker had 16000. I wonder if ALL the Bighorns previously produced have been downgraded in GVW?

That's a possibility to agree with using the lower rated tires. My sticker has 16000 on it and it came with Freestar G's.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John:
Interesting... Mine wenet in with 14,000 and came out with 14,600.