It finally happened to me-blowout

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
After a great time at the Indiana Chapter Rally, I get about 40 minutes from home on southbound I75 and "BOOM!" there goes one of my Goodyear G614 tires. As it turns out my bottle jack did not have enough lift to allow me to change the tire so I had to call for service. This event kind of took the wind out of my sail from having such a great weekend. Luckily no one was hurt and the damage to the rig is minimal but non-the-less disappointing. I do have TPMS but there was no warning until after the fact. I did chuckle and then had a few words for that. Full disclosure here, these are the original tires on this unit that I purchased in April 2008. The remaining tires still look very good regarding the treads and no dry rotting but being this old I will be replacing all of them soon. Not sure what I'm going to do about fixing the skirting on the slideout yet. More later.

dbbls59

I thought Goodyear would pay for the trailer repair. I would check with a Goodyear dealer when you get home.

wdk450

I thought Goodyear would pay for the trailer repair. I would check with a Goodyear dealer when you get home.
If this was a 2008, it was probably built in 2007, so these tires are about 7 years old. Most internet sources say that 5 years is about the maximum expected lifetime for RV tires due to rubber composition deterioration over the years. I would think if that the tires lasted 7 years, Goodyear doesn't owe anything.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If this was a 2008, it was probably built in 2007, so these tires are about 7 years old. Most internet sources say that 5 years is about the maximum expected lifetime for RV tires due to rubber composition deterioration over the years. I would think if that the tires lasted 7 years, Goodyear doesn't owe anything.

I agree. I wasn't even going to try. According to their website they are willing to look at them withing (4) years of purchase for any warranty claims.

Niles

Mark, I posted the following a few weeks ago, I have found Goodyear to be very good about their tire issues. Just saying it might be worth a call. I also had a truck tire go bad on my pickup several years ago it was 7 years old, I swapped from winter tires to summer tires and they had no miles on them. Anyway one went boom and $2500 damage to the pickup, Goodyear took care of it all. By the way all of these tires have been replaced and with Goodyears.
[h=2]Re: Tire Concerns![/h]
I just want to say that G614's have some issues also. I changed our 3670 to the 614's, has I did on our toyhauler we traded for the BH. Never had a issue on the toyhauler and had many miles on it. The BH is another story, with maybe 15 to 20k on these tires we blew one, at that point I thought it was a freak thing, no problem right, wrong. We went another 2500 miles with no issue. Then less than 40 mile from the house we blew another one,went another 60 mile and blew another. We were able to get off the road the instance these blow outs happened, not saying the other tires didn't get stressed. Just this is so unusual for the 614's please don't ask me if they were under inflated as I do check tires all the time and we are not overloaded. However with all this being said Goodyear took care of all the damage and replaced the tires, I not badmouthing the tires or the company, but sometimes you just have issues no matter what you do. It's all part of the fun of camping, right!! I've said before I drive a truck for a living and goodyear is a large part of it at one time I had 82 tires on the road and all goodyear so my investment in tires was huge, and I've never lost faith in them.​

porthole

Retired
Mark...now's the time to upgrade to 17.5's and rims....

And you live in the area of he one of the better customer service dealers, TrailerTire and Wheels in Edon.

But, if you already have 110psi wheels it is hard to justify the upgrade to the 17.5's

kkamshop

Sorry to hear that Mark! Ken did his own repair when we had a blowout - PM or call him for details. He might even come help if you say "pretty please" LOL

Miltp920

Camping in northern Michigan, below the bridge. Talked to a guy who blew out a goodyear marathon E rated tire on a 2014 Keystone Montana. He was surprised when I told him ST tires are rated for a max of 65 mph. Sounds like he pulls at the speed limit 70 mph. he said he read made in China on the marathon. Must be just the 614 made in USA. Filled him in on some things I learned from this site.

haulinem

Camping in northern Michigan, below the bridge. Talked to a guy who blew out a goodyear marathon E rated tire on a 2014 Keystone Montana. He was surprised when I told him ST tires are rated for a max of 65 mph. Sounds like he pulls at the speed limit 70 mph. he said he read made in China on the marathon. Must be just the 614 made in USA. Filled him in on some things I learned from this site.

Not all ST tires are rated for 65 MPH. After reading all the horror stories on this forum I replaced my OEM wheels and tires with 17.5" wheels and Sumitomo ST 727 tires. They are an all position rib with a 75 MPH rating. Not a cheap conversion but worth the peace of mind and I feel better not towing at the tires max weight or speed rating.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Mark,

Sorry you've joined the club. The list is long but distinguished.

Now go get new tires.

Paul & Nan

I agree. I wasn't even going to try. According to their website they are willing to look at them withing (4) years of purchase for any warranty claims.
Mark-we had a blowout on our rig in April, 50 miles from home. It turned out our G614 was made in 07, we still contacted Goodyear and just got a check for our insurance deductable and $350 for a new tire. Talk to Goodyear, they just may help you. Nan

Miltp920

I am sure there are exceptions to the 65 mph rule. I am guessing that the OEM E rated, 10 ply tires are 65 mph (towmax, GY marathons). The upgrades that people are putting on as replacement tires may be higher. I believe I read it on a tire website, ST tires are 65 mph unless it is stamped on them otherwise. I think that each owner of a camper should research and understand their tires and their tires speed ratings.