Big Horn 3010RE Weight

Dave

Traveling Two
We full time in our Big Horn so I wanted to make sure I wasn't over loading the tires. I weighted both fully loaded truck and camper and the total weight came in at 23,780 lbs. I weighted the fully loaded truck and it came in at 8,480 lbs. Subtracting the two leaves me with a camper weight of 15,300 lbs which is 1,300 lbs over the camper 14,000 GVWR rating. I don't carry any heavy tools, tool boxes, welders, construction equipment, in fact, the basement isn't even full. and whats in there is not anything overly heavy We started full timing last year in a Heartland Sundance and throughout the trip we purged a lot of stuff we didn't need. During our winter over in Florida we purged some more but this purge didn't amount to much. The stuff we have is the stuff we need and use. The only option on the Big Horn is a washer-dryer combo and the six point leveling system. I'm at a loss as to where all this 1,300 lbs is coming from, neither one of us is over weight, we have on 12 lb dog. My question is could the scales be off that much, is the brochure 14,000 lb GVWR wrong? We've put on over 1,000 miles on the Big Horn so far with no tire issues but we will be travelling several thousand miles this year. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks and be carefull out there.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The 3010RE has a listed dry weight of 11,915. Lets call it 12,000.
So if the GVWR is 14,000 that only gives you 2,000 pounds to play with. That's not much.
Keep in mind that the listed dry weight does not include any options like a second AC unit, dual panes, W/D and your Level Up.
Take a look at the yellow sticker on the door jamb. That will tell you what your unit weighed when it left the factory.
Do you know what your pin weight is?

Peace
Dave

GrumpyOneandTwo

We full time in our Big Horn so I wanted to make sure I wasn't over loading the tires. I weighted both fully loaded truck and camper and the total weight came in at 23,780 lbs. I weighted the fully loaded truck and it came in at 8,480 lbs. Subtracting the two leaves me with a camper weight of 15,300 lbs which is 1,300 lbs over the camper 14,000 GVWR rating. I don't carry any heavy tools, tool boxes, welders, construction equipment, in fact, the basement isn't even full. and whats in there is not anything overly heavy We started full timing last year in a Heartland Sundance and throughout the trip we purged a lot of stuff we didn't need. During our winter over in Florida we purged some more but this purge didn't amount to much. The stuff we have is the stuff we need and use. The only option on the Big Horn is a washer-dryer combo and the six point leveling system. I'm at a loss as to where all this 1,300 lbs is coming from, neither one of us is over weight, we have on 12 lb dog. My question is could the scales be off that much, is the brochure 14,000 lb GVWR wrong? We've put on over 1,000 miles on the Big Horn so far with no tire issues but we will be travelling several thousand miles this year. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks and be carefull out there.

Hey Dave,

I think you are looking at the weights incorrectly. For instance, the GCVWR on my F250 is 23,000 lbs. My truck and trailer together weigh 21,360 lbs. Your 3500 should have a higher GCVWR than me. So you are good on that weight.

Mike

BTW the GCVWR is the gross combined vehicle weight rating. That is what your truck mfg says the maximum weight of our truck and trailer combined should be.

dewwood

Did you weigh the trailer while hooked to the truck? The pin weight will be around 2500 lbs. That would put you well within your weight limits if you weigh just the trailer axles while hooked up and with the truck off the scale that will give you the actual trailer axle weights.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check out fifthwheelst.com For a good weight calculator. Check your weigh-bill, did you get these measurements?

Screen shot 2014-05-12 at 1.57.11 PM.jpg

If you did, then you went back and weighed the truck, you should have the numbers to fill out the worksheets on fifthwheelst.com and find out your pin weight and total trailer weight.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dewood is correct. Go back to the scales and just weigh the trailer axles. I'm sure they will be under the weigh rating. BTW, what tires are you running....hope not "blow-max".

pegmikef

The 3010RE has a listed dry weight of 11,915. Lets call it 12,000.
So if the GVWR is 14,000 that only gives you 2,000 pounds to play with. That's not much.
Keep in mind that the listed dry weight does not include any options like a second AC unit, dual panes, W/D and your Level Up.
Take a look at the yellow sticker on the door jamb. That will tell you what your unit weighed when it left the factory.
Do you know what your pin weight is?

Peace
Dave

Mine is actually 12,014 pounds and then my batteries and propane probably run another 200 pounds. I don't have a washer and dryer and I opted for the queen size bed, so yours is probably more. I know dual pane windows cost about 300 pounds so I didn't opt for them nor do I have the two door reefer. You might be surprised how much weight you are using before you add any personal stuff. I was.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I read the OP's first post correctly, his concern is the GVWR of the coach.
It is 14,000 pounds.
GVWR is the entire weight of the coach, not just what is on the axles or the GCWR of the TV.

Peace
Dave

emm4273610re

Just a quick note that the new 3010re's are now coming through with 7k axles. Making the GVWR 15500 like the rest of the line up. The brochures have not been changed yet. You can now upgrade to 8k axles however the GVWR does NOT change. Ask your dealer about the special build sheet......

Birchwood

Fulltiming requires many items .Your rig should have a GVWR of between 16000 to 20000 lbs.You are living is to small a house.Your truck should be adequate to accommodate a full timing experience.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, are you sure about the 14K rating?? Might have been a typo. There are 2 stickers on your BH. One on the door sill and one on the ODS at the front. You could call HL, with your VIN# and ask.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our 2014 3010 came off the line weighing 11,852# dry weight. No propane gear water etc. with a GVW of 14,000# leaving me 2100# for extras. We're nearing the end if a 2 plus month trip and I'm sure without pulling in the scales I left home at it above that 14,000#. Adds up quick! BTW-sitting in Apgar CG-Glacier Nat'l Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk