Bighorn 3260 Elite Noisy Water Pump

rscamping

Hi, we purchased the 3260EL last year and love it! Have a question though about the water pump. Ours is quite loud at times - almost like we are running a generator and will chug at times. They adjusted it once for the chugging but it is back. Is yours loud as well?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rscamping, I moved your post to its own thread in the plumbing area.
I don't know what you consider noisy, but the pumps do tend to be a bit noisy.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

From Page 10 of our Owner-written Water Systems Guide:

Water pumps are generally noisy, but if improperly mounted, they can be extremely noisy. The typical mount consists of 4 screws holding it to the floor mat. If you’re experiencing excessive noise, check that all the screws are there. Don’t over tighten. Also check that the pump is not in direct contact with anything other than the floor. Also check the input and output water lines to make sure they’re not vibrating against nearby parts of the basement. Pipe insulation can help quiet down vibrating water lines.

Gary521

Adding a surge system will quiet the pump down. Make sure that the pump has a flexible hose attached to the infeed side and the outfeed side.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is one version of an accumulator tank.
mENbnYHs00Mtp3zmV9AEGUw.jpg

And here is another.
mJ7X5_WRGYEBSvdgVp8AYqA.jpg

There are several to choose from on Ebay.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

This problem also depends on how much you use the pump. If you are a dry camper then its a big problem. I am not....I simply put up with the noise since it is only used at rest stops. It has started to leak around the seal so I have its replacement. It is a couple of screws and a couple of screw connection fix....so not that difficult. the difficult part is emptying the basement!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Where are you hearing the noise? In our case, in the bathroom which is directly over the pump, we hear it. However, when running the kitchen faucet, I don't hear it at all. We switched to a Flojet variable speed pump. The watt pressure is more consistent, and I think it's quieter overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Join Date Oct 2011Location USA - INPosts 244
Current Rig
2013 Big Horn 3260RS
[h=2]Re: Water Pump Pulsing 2013 Bighorn 3070RL[/h]
Wow my big horn had the exact same pulsing issue. So after reading this thread, I did three things. First I put a braided hose connecting the pump to the pex lines in the basement. Originally the pump outlet was connected directly to the pex lines, when it rattled so did the lines. Then I mounted the pump loosly on some pipe insulation, while relocating it for easier access. The I adjusted the allen screw in the top of the pump, per the instruction for the artisan pump. And now mine works perfectly, and is so quiet you can hardly even hear its running. No more surging, and clanging and banging like before. Better water flow and its smooth!​
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/paperclip.png Attached Thumbnails//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29374&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1398299306 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29375&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1398299332 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29376&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1398299363

rscamping

Thanks everyone for your feedback and assistance! We are going to try those modifications Sengli suggested. It is very loud - even running the kitchen faucet and you are in the livingroom - but particularly noticeable when running the shower. The pump in our previous Big Horn was normal sounding - you expect a certain amount of rumbling. Thanks for the info on the accumulator tank - will keep that in mind if the other adjustments don't work.

sengli

Well I had remounted and adjusted the artis pump, and it was quiet and pumped great for about a week or so. The artis pump still works, but it is back to being noisey and it pulses no matter how I attempt to adjust it. Got a new sureflow ( 2008-101-E65) pump and installed it. What a difference. The flow is steady and consistant, and the pump itself is very quiet.
Sent my artis pump back to the repair site, they denied my claim. My pump still pumped water but was extremely loud, and would chug, and pulse. These pumps are only around $40 on amazon, they are a china cheapy. Great door stopper though.

Last edited:

Garypowell

Me too. After reading this thread I replaced my Artis. It had developed a weeping leak between the pump and motor. They answered the phone and were nice....told me to return it and they would replace it. But decided to keep it as the spare. Off the top of my head can't remember the brand but it was on sale at CW. I also put a flexible hose between the pump and the pex line.....purrs like a kitten.