Private Message SPAM from user Jeannette

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeksrus

I just received a private message from Jeannette that I don't care for.

I hope that you can access it & perhaps stop this type of message getting to others.

PS: couldn't find another way to get the info to you.

Regards EH!

StevieWonder

DITTO:

Here's the msg since it's obviously not private.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear StevieWonder,

You have received a new private message at Heartland Owners Forum from
Jeannette, entitled "Re: Steviewonder".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you
must log in here:
//heartlandowners.org/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Hi,I'm new here, how's it going?"Buddhism has the characteristics of
what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends
a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural
& spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the
experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert
Einstein---Jeannettehttp://www.freewebtown.com/kebesz

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following
page to reply to this private message:
//heartlandowners.org/private.php

All the best,
Heartland Owners Forum

AVid

I forwarded mine to Jim just so he knows about it. These things happen.

On another forum I am on it got so bad, the admin had to make a new member have a certain number of posts before they could send a PM. The number has remained secret. It has stopped someone joining just to send spam.

AVid

I also received this PM. Can we please get her off of this forum? It looks like she just joined to spam all of us. Nothing to to with RVs.

jbeletti

Hey gang,

Thank you for sending me that PM you all go from user Jeannette.

First let me say that this sort of thing rarely happens around here. We watch things pretty closely and we review new member sign-ups to try and determine if they are legitimate.

When a user signs up and uses a reasonable date of birth, and a real city and state and a reasonable explanation as to their interest in the forum - it looks legit. A good spammer will employ real people (real bad ones) instead of computer bots to do the forum sign-ups. Real people can answer questions to get by our real people filters.

What have we done to stop this?

First, I have reviewed this persons account and I have banned the user.

Second, I have personally responded to each (8 of them) PM that was sent to me with my apology.

Last, I want to let everyone know about how to limit private messaging.

PMs are not for everyone. Some people never use it and never want to receive any from anyone. That's alright.

Others don't mind receiving them from others but find it cumbersome to respond with.

Yet others are fully comfortable with the service and use it a lot.

Each can be accommodated.

Do this to edit your Private Messaging Options:

1. Click on the User CP link on the forum menu bar at the top left of the screen
  2. Click on the "Edit Options" link
  3. Scroll down the Edit Options window to the "Private Messaging" section
  4. Here you will see options. You may elect to receive PMs from everyone, from no one or from buddies and moderators. Make your choice and choose "Save Changes" at the bottom of that window.

And please continue to forward objectionable stuff like this to John (jpmorgan37) or myself when you get it. This is the very first time in 3 years this has happened, so I hope we stay on that sort of track and you guys are not bothered with some smart spammers down the road. Not on this forum anyway.

Thank you again for notifying me and thank you for your understanding of how this can happen and what we did to take care of it.

Jim Beletti
Owner / Admin

jbeletti

Anyone who is just now finding out they received this, I just want to let you know that we are aware of it and it has been dealt with.

geeksrus, if you ever receive an objectionable PM again, you may forward the PM from within the PM module, to myself (Jim Beletti) or John Morgan (jpmorgan37) and we will deal with it.

Thanks again to everyone for your understanding on this very rare occurrence.

Jim

jbeletti

Barrielou,

We too hope it never happens again. But, any apparent good user can go rogue at any time. So we cannot guarantee it will never happen again but you have our commitment to continue to be vigilant on our review of new members and when something does go wrong, we will act swiftly.

Jim

StevieWonder

Jim ... thanks for JUMPING on this.
I noticed she was showing up on the "active" list when I logged on this morning.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, "she" or it has been making the rounds on several forums and is also using another name that escapes me right now, they are also banned from the other sites...................

dewwood

Just wanted to say thanks to the admins for their taking care of this situation. I appreciate their efforts to make this forum available to us in a manner we can all enjoy.

Thanks again,

Dewey

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Hey, for spam, at least it wasn't as objectional as most I have to deal with for the store... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.