George (of the jungle) Watch Out for That Tree!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, we finally managed to haul the rig up to our seasonal site today, set up and returned home. The owner, who usually helps us back it in, was tied up cleaning the CG and didn't see us come in. Being the "big cahuna," (aka. dumb-arse) I figured I could do it myself, with the wife keeping an eye on the rear. Should of put her in front of the truck. As I was maneuvering around, trying to get aligned with the trees, I lost sight of the ones on the right side and swung the side of the rig into one of them. Not hard, but enough to make the main awning FUBAR'd by bending the roller and tearing up the fabric. Doesn't look like any structural damage to the wall, other than a small dent in the rain gutter. Finally got the rig where I wanted it and called my insurance company, Foremost. Got a claim number, a preliminary settlement amount and instructions to get it direct deposited to our account. Agent said if the actual repairs cost more to send the quote from the repair facility (local RV dealer with mobile techs) and they would adjust it, if it wasn't crazy. If less, the extra cash is mine. Gotta say, the amount seems pretty generous, albeit it's for replacing an 18 foot electric awning. And surprised and pleased with how fast they handled things. Filled out the online form to get the funds transferred for me to pay the repairs, when they are done. The RV dealer will be sending someone out tomorrow to take a look. I was able to give them the awning codes over the phone.

Even prolifically gabby knuckleheads like me can screw the pooch on occasion. :(

View attachment 29787View attachment 29788

jimtoo

Whow....Man,, that sounds like the best service I have heard of...all on line. Thanks for posting your mess up... we all do it once in a while.. some just wont admit it. :)

Keep us updated.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Been there, done something similar, got the merit badge. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Glad that it got settled so quickly and that the damage wasn't worse. A couple of years ago my insurance company (Farmers) did the same thing when I had to have the roof replaced on my TT. They transferred 4K plus to my account before I even had an estimate and did it based on the pictures I emailed them. I think they actually use Foremost to underwrite their specialty stuff.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The spot where we park our trailer in the side yard is landscaped with stones (want to cement it one day...after I win the Powerball, of course :rolleyes: ).

Once when backing my old trailer (1978 Coachman Cadet 24) into it's parking spot in our side yard, I hit the gas a little too hard and spun the tires in the stones...the back of the truck shifted to the side a little and hit one of the windows on the fence post!

Didn't smash the window out, but broke it pretty good.

I put some black gaffers tape on it to cover the cracks and hold it together...never did replace it!

We did our last season of camping with the old beast with that busted window...

You can see it in this shot...the front side window with the awning rail in front of it:

CampSite-P9030033.jpg

And then there was the time............... :p

JohnDar

Glad that it got settled so quickly and that the damage wasn't worse. A couple of years ago my insurance company (Farmers) did the same thing when I had to have the roof replaced on my TT. They transferred 4K plus to my account before I even had an estimate and did it based on the pictures I emailed them. I think they actually use Foremost to underwrite their specialty stuff.

Yes, Foremost is the agency I deal with, but Farmers is processing the claim. This is my third claim with them in the past 9 years and there's never been any hassle, even when I got repairs done before contacting them. But having them process an amount and putting it into my bank account almost immediately is something new (to me).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes, Foremost is the agency I deal with, but Farmers is processing the claim. This is my third claim with them in the past 9 years and there's never been any hassle, even when I got repairs done before contacting them. But having them process an amount and putting it into my bank account almost immediately is something new (to me).

That is the new world order...

JohnDar

I got a phone message today from the repair facility, unfortunately, I was working shift at the FD and the wife was not home. The price they quote is a couple of hundred $$ less than the insurance settlement is (good news). But, the color we have (Fawn-EA) is no longer available (bad news). Looking at the Dometic website, the nearest thing appears to be the Bark, code NU. It's similar in shading, but not the pronounced striped pattern of the original, but a blended pattern. Which means it will be different than the large window awning we have on the main slide. That's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess, when you do dumb stuff and schmuck a tree with the awning. I'll have to call them back on Monday to tell them to go ahead with the newer color code.

stevenssr

I know all of this was a pain in the neck, but at least things seem to be turning out fairly well for you. There a million ways to screw up with these trailers and Murphy is trying his best to make sure bad things happen to all of us. I got a turn this weekend as well. I'm on the 2nd leg of a vacation trip Monday moving from one CG to another. It's pouring down rain which makes us late. We roll into the campground at 9:45, pitch dark, it is pouring down rain still, and the power is out at the CG. We find our spot. I get out and put my two led lanterns at the back corners of the spot and start backing in. I didn't see a tree hanging over the front corner of the spot and all of a sudden the entire trailer just stops (luckily I was going real slow). After getting into the very tight spot and narrowly avoiding getting stuck in the mud, I decide to wait till morning to look for damage. I couldn't believe it the next morning. There was a small 1/2 inch indentation at the top of the rear cap. Nothing broke and you would never see that indentation if I didn't show it to you. I got lucky this time considering the force was enough to stop all vehicle movement, but I'm sure there will be a next time. We try to manage risks the best we can, but none-the-less, there will always be risks that we don't know about or can't do anything about. Guess it just comes with the joy of RVing. BTW, I'll bet no one notices the pattern difference in your awnings unless you feel like telling the story. I hope everything goes well for you!

Scott