Tow weight ratings

MLP

Can anyone advise if adding leaf springs, airbags, exaust brakes and such will actually increase the tow rating weights of a tow vehilce or are these items just to make the drive easier? I understand you wouldnt want to overload the axles.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Can you change the tow rating if you change the gear ratio. Say 3:73 to 4:10??

danemayer

You may be able to change the capabilities of the truck, if you address all weak links in the chain, but you cannot change the manufacturer's rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

priorguy

Pretty sure you can't buy a new door frame sticker which is what DOT etc look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdob24

I struggled with two "over the trucks capacities " RV s . It always kinda bothered me , so with the purchase of the BC also came a new F 350 Dully. Now it's all good no more weight issues.
On my Chevy I had an extra spring added and it helped hold the load, and on the F250 I installed a set of Super Springs.
They help with the weight but in the end its the door sticker rating that counts.

Heathcote4

I have learned so much on tow ratings on this forum (thank you to all for all the knowledge and experience). The door sticker makes all the sense in the world however it frustrates and angers me that the government dictates what truck I buy.

All I can speak on is Ford because that is what I own have researched. There is NO difference in the drive train between the 250 and 350, however they have difference GVWR ratings. We own our 250 when we bought our rig and I wanted to make sure my family and property were not at risk. Based on the numbers my 250 is at weight or a little over simply based on its GVWR of 10K. The 11.5K of the 350 would put the numbers in an acceptable range even thought toward the high side. I drive my truck daily and do not want to run a DRW for every day driving.

So the question: Why am I OK with a 350 but not a 250 when they are essentially the same truck? Government! They de-rate the 250 to 10K for certain states like our friends in CA. There are rules about where you can and cannot take a truck that is rated over 10K.

I have read on here that the rules are the rules and have asked if RVers are getting pulled over and weighed. The large consensus is we are not being harassed about our equipment. I have added the necessary equipment to my 250 to help it haul the load and believe my rig to be safe. My goal is to upgrade to the '15 350 depending on what Ford does with the '16 model. But I want to upgrade on my schedule not buy my equipment based on the Gov's opinion.

I know there are many that will disagree with my opinion, but can you argue that the root of the discussion is based on paperwork not mechanical engineering. Do the due diligence and make sure that you are not putting your family, yourself, or others in danger by operating an unsafe rig.

Just my two cents.............

Josh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whp4262

When I'm not riding my motorcycle my daily driver for the last 9 years has been a dually. Other than the expense of 2 extra tires and a couple miles to the gallon loss, the size of the truck has not been much of a problem.

danemayer

Josh,

We've had a number of discussions about whether it's legal to tow something heavier than your rated capability. While the opinions expressed on the forum aren't necessarily sound legal advice, and every state and locality could be a bit different, our general conclusion regarding non-commercial vehicles is that it's not a statutory issue. No one has posted about firsthand experience with law enforcement citing them for being overloaded. And I don't know that anyone has ever pointed to a specific statute.

We have had many opinions about whether it's safe to tow when you exceed the rated payload. I would say that the more overloaded you are vs your payload spec, the less safe you are.

We have had many opinions about whether the drive train and axle and wheel/tire components are always the same between 250/2500s and 350/3500s. My conclusion is that on some makes/models/years perhaps it is. On others, perhaps not. The suspension is probably not the same.

Notice that I'm talking about payload - weight on the rear axle - pin weight plus other stuff. The towing capacity of the engine and transmission, and often the drive train may be the same on 250/2500s and 350/3500s, regardless of how it's rated. Payload is not the same.

We have also had discussions about liability if there's an accident. Could a lawyer demonstrate that you knowingly were towing in an unsafe configuration? Could he convince a jury that your indifference caused harm to someone else? Could liability limits be lifted if he's successful? Maybe - maybe not.

But of all this, I wouldn't get too upset with the government. They seem to have little involvement.

Heathcote4

I agree with all of that. It is just my observation that we are obliged to abide by these ratings that may not be based on mechanics but paperwork.

My opinion is no one wishes to be unsafe. But for people new to this lifestyle these tow rating conversations are very confusing. Confusion is compounded if the ratings are arbitrary.

Just one more opinion....... :)

Josh

whp4262

Danemayer, this is also not first hand knowledge but it did come from a trust worthy person I've known for a number of years through work. We were talking about trailers and tow rigs one day. I asked what he was pulling with and he said a F450. He said that he bought the 450 after he was told at a weigh station by a member of the California Highway Patrol that he couldn't pull his rig with the truck he had because it was over the weight rating. This is the only case that I have heard about.

danemayer

Danemayer, this is also not first hand knowledge but it did come from a trust worthy person I've known for a number of years through work. We were talking about trailers and tow rigs one day. I asked what he was pulling with and he said a F450. He said that he bought the 450 after he was told at a weigh station by a member of the California Highway Patrol that he couldn't pull his rig with the truck he had because it was over the weight rating. This is the only case that I have heard about.

Have to wonder what he was doing stopping at a weigh station. Maybe the CHP assumed that since he had stopped, he was a commercial tower.

dbhutchins

Always enjoy these discussions. And I've spent a fair amount of time considering the issue, before replacing my old 2006 F250 6.0 liter diesel this winter. Researching the difference between F250 and F350, there essentially isn't any except suspension. So a set of boosters in a 250 makes it the physical equivalent of a 350. Note also that the tow rating of the new 6.7 lt diesel is the SAME for the 250 and 350 in a single wheel configuration. You get a huge increase going to the dually rear, due to the increased pin-load capacity of the double tires. Nothing to do with the pulling capacity of the drive train.

Eventually I went with the F250, short bed and single rears because this is my daily driver. A set of Timbrens on the rear makes it ride level and the pin-weight just keeps me under rear axle/tire capacity. The new 6.7 lt is a DREAM compared to the old 6.0 clunker, and I'm a very happy camper.

To each his own. Just make informed decisions...

driver311

i cross scales almost daily . i have had no trouble with weight. i have a 2014 2500 dodge. i pull DRV s and landmarks. i just delivered a landmark to ca. had no problems. if u can hook it u can pull it.