Tire inflation and safety

CeeCee99

I'm a new owner and took delivery of a 2014 NT Caliber. When I got home, I parked it and the next day checked the lugnut torque and tire pressure. The tires were 50 psi on a 65 psi tire. I had driven 75 miles on those tires the day before. Plus, the unit sat on a dealer lot, exposed to the elements for a year. Do I have good reason to be concerned about the condition of these tires on my "new" trailer? (2014 built in March 2013). Any suggestions?

GOTTOYS

In my opinion that shouldn't have hurt the tires. I would pump them up to the maximum shown on the sidewall for any future trips. My concern would be the brand of tire on the rig. I would replace all of them with a Maxxis brand before you start using it, nothing else will do. The original equipment tires have proven to be marginal at best..Don

dbbls59

I think it would depend on how fast you towed it and the temperature. Heat is the killer of tires and speed builds heat, as does under inflation. Yes, you have reason for concern.

danemayer

Goodyear and some other tire manufacturers say that if the inflation is 20% low, the tire is being run flat and needs to be removed and inspected to determine if it's still safe to use.

50/65 is more than 20% low. BUT, if the trailer was empty, the tires might still be ok since you don't need fully inflated tires to support an empty trailer.

CeeCee99

Thanks for all of your info. It wasn't hot that day, but windy and I experienced a lot of sway. I would like to ask the dealer for something since they failed to inflate the tires to a proper pressure. Not sure what seems reasonable. 'M concerned they aren't in good shape.
Goodyear and some other tire manufacturers say that if the inflation is 20% low, the tire is being run flat and needs to be removed and inspected to determine if it's still safe to use.

50/65 is more than 20% low. BUT, if the trailer was empty, the tires might still be ok since you don't need fully inflated tires to support an empty trailer.

pegmikef

When I picked my special order Big Horn last year the service manager apologized and said the tires were only inflated to 100 psi because he didn't have the capability to inflate to 110 psi. Fortunately I have the capability so I topped them off. So I guess under inflation might be more common than we think.

CeeCee99

But they failed to deliver it to me properly inflated and they didn't tell me, either. Just careless with my inspection and it could have been dangerous. I dont think I should have to buy a new set of tires because I think there is a potential weakness from their carelessness.
When I picked my special order Big Horn last year the service manager apologized and said the tires were only inflated to 100 psi because he didn't have the capability to inflate to 110 psi. Fortunately I have the capability so I topped them off. So I guess under inflation might be more common than we think.

DW_Gray

Well, CeeCee99, you violated, as so many have before you, one the rules of towing: Always check cold air inflation pressure each time before towing. Read Step 5 for more information.

But this situation supports the idea that professional drivers and/or dealers are not paying any attention to tire air pressure. If this trailer was towed all the way from Elkhart, IN to your dealer and anywhere in between with underinflated tires, there is a strong possibility that the tires are damaged. You'll know for sure when an ugly blowout occurs in about 6 months or less.

Checking tire air pressure should be part of the PDI.

danemayer

Thanks for all of your info. It wasn't hot that day, but windy and I experienced a lot of sway. I would like to ask the dealer for something since they failed to inflate the tires to a proper pressure. Not sure what seems reasonable. 'M concerned they aren't in good shape.
I would approach the dealer starting with a quote from the Goodyear documents that speaks to the 20% low being a flat and damaging the tire. Also, tire experts tell us that tire damage is irreversible and that the blowout may occur unexpectedly sometime later. And, when tires blow out, they usually damage the trailer; sometimes causing very expensive damage.

So it might be reasonable to ask for new tires before the predictable blowout happens, causing damage to the trailer.

dbbls59

I agree with you. The dealer should have delivered a unit safe to travel. Don't know if you will have any luck but I would ask the dealer for 4 new tires. He might trade with some other unit he has on his lot and let some other poor soul have your old tires.

CeeCee99

Thank you, all. I willuse the tire info to ask.
I would approach the dealer starting with a quote from the Goodyear documents that speaks to the 20% low being a flat and damaging the tire. Also, tire experts tell us that tire damage is irreversible and that the blowout may occur unexpectedly sometime later. And, when tires blow out, they usually damage the trailer; sometimes causing very expensive damage.

So it might be reasonable to ask for new tires before the predictable blowout happens, causing damage to the trailer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wow . . .

I pretty amazed at some of the sage advice here.

I think many are dropping scare tactics about the tires on you!

I doubt if your tires are very damaged, if at all!

I doubt you'll get any new tires from your dealer, either . . . but please let us know what they say!

CeeCee99

Since tire pressure is one of the most critical safety factors when trailering, I think my concerns are legitimate. They may have voided the tire warranty. I plan to call the manufacturer regarding that, as well. I'm not optimistic about my dealer doing anything , but I'll ask.
Wow . . .

I pretty amazed at some of the sage advice here.

I think many are dropping scare tactics about the tires on you!

I doubt if your tires are very damaged, if at all!

I doubt you'll get any new tires from your dealer, either . . . but please let us know what they say!

donr827

I wonder if the drivers that delivery the trailers to the dealer check the tire pressure before they leave the factory. Would only take a few minutes and might prevent a problem during the delivery process.Don

caissiel

Tires on trailers have not been a safety issue. You can ruin a tire and keep on driving till the wheel wears off without noticing it is blown. The whole side of the trailer will be torn and it will still not be a safety issue. That's what is the problem with ST tires on trailers. No watch on safety concernes required so there is plenty of bad tires out there for trailer service.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

tmcran

Tires on trailers have not been a safety issue. You can ruin a tire and keep on driving till the wheel wears off without noticing it is blown. The whole side of the trailer will be torn and it will still not be a safety issue. That's what is the problem with ST tires on trailers. No watch on safety concernes required so there is plenty of bad tires out there for trailer service.

What? You have certainly not blown a tire on a trailer. I can tell you for sure when it happens you know it. Also can see the stuff flying around in the rear view. Of course if you are looking.

caissiel

Blown at least 9 on our previous unit before installing LT tires that lasted 7 years with no problem after. Had the tools for trailer repair on board. Mostly truckers on CB advised and drove only in daylight. I know about ruining tires and trailer damage on highways. I figured it was part of RVing at the time.
Never blew a trailer tire on my single axle service trailer in 40 years of having some. I never use a spare on single axle trailer.

tmcran

Blown at least 9 on our previous unit before installing LT tires that lasted 7 years with no problem after. Had the tools for trailer repair on board. Mostly truckers on CB advised and drove only in daylight. I know about ruining tires and trailer damage on highways. I figured it was part of RVing at the time.
Never blew a trailer tire on my single axle service trailer in 40 years of having some. I never use a spare on single axle trailer.

U blew 9,tires and had to have truckers with CB you had boo out..... Hummm.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The best we can really do...

For peace of mind, what you should really do is to take your trailer to a good and respected tire store and have them check out your tires.

They should be able tell you if there is a problem with them.

And probably the very best thing you can do is to get those trailer tires balanced!

I need to do that myself . . .

Since tire pressure is one of the most critical safety factors when trailering, I think my concerns are legitimate. They may have voided the tire warranty. I plan to call the manufacturer regarding that, as well. I'm not optimistic about my dealer doing anything , but I'll ask.

Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't keep an eye on our trailer tires, but I am starting to think that many here are over analyzing what they need to do and could perhaps be bringing on more issues by being over protective of their tires with their efforts.

The best that we can really do is to make sure that our tires are filled to pressure before we leave on a journey and keep an eye on them each time we stop, checking for uneven wear, bubbles, and perhaps looking for nails or other puncture wounds.

But tweaking and adjusting tire pressures at each stop along the way could be doing more harm than good as we can't really get an accurate read on them when they are hot.

And adding cold air to a hot tire can't be good!

Which brings me to another thought . . .

Is nitrogen really good for our tires or can it actually be bad for the rubber?

And, for those who use nitrogen in your trailer tires, what good is having it in the tires unless you carry a tank of it for when you do need to tweak the pressure?

I'm sure someone will chime in with "You can alway add air to nitrogen!" . . .

Well, if this is the case, then why even bother with it!

I honestly think that nitrogen is just a way for the tire stores to collect an extra $20 bucks from us whenever we visit . . .

Heck . . . the other day I scuffed my passenger side trailer tires on a curb . . .

If I were to believe many of the tire posts here in the chats, I should run right over to the tire store and replace them all as I have just damaged my tires beyond use!

Upon inspection, I just barely rubbed them on the curb . . . but that is not the point!