E-mail Fraud

jpmorgan37

For any of us that belong to a Credit Union, be aware that there is a new e-mail fraud circulating. If you receive this e-mail, delete it and don't respond or answer any questions. I have attached a copy of the e-mail.

COPY:

Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2008 8:38 AM
Subject: Inportant Messeges-America`s Credit Union
Importance: High

Dear FCU/CU account holder

This notice informs you that your CREDIT UNION bank has joined our AMERICA'S CREDIT UNION ( NCU/FCU/CU ) network .For both, ours and your security, we are asking you to activate an online account on our database fill the form to activate your online account by clicking on the link bellow.
cuna.org/update_profile/index.asp

In accordance with AMERICA'S CREDIT UNION User Agreement, you can use your online account in 24 hours after activation. We thank you for your prompt attention this matter.

Sincerely

AMERICA'S CREDIT UNION review Department

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks John,

We see these scams & notices every week at work. It is unbelieveable the time and effort that the U.S. Dept of Defense puts into informing and protecting the military community from this type of garbage.

It is so easy to fall prey to these low-lifes. I only wish that these scumbags would put as much effort into "real jobs" as they do into running scams on the unsuspecting.

Thanks again for the heads up,

Dave

kognito

a little un-related, but there is another identity scam that has surfaced that is working well for the scammers.

Folks are getting phone calls asking as to why the callee did not report for jury duty. (of course, jury duty is something most folks take seriously!) The caller then asks for information to "correct the mistake" and, BINGO! folks are giving up too much information to the scammer!

Cheryl

Some ways to help protect yourself is to never ever click on a link in an email. Always go to your bank's, credit card's, etc. home page by typing in the address you know yourself. Never give out you last 4 digits of your social on the phone to verify unless you called the number you know is your bank. Invest in a cheap paper shredder, shred all mail with personal info on it, including unwanted credit card offers. Watch people in line behind you. Don't be afraid to tell them to back off if you feel they are standing to close.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Thanks John for the info,I am also with a Credit Union. Donabel, will a 44.40 Dragoon:eek: work???? Bob:D:D:eek:

hankie419

Be aware that these scams can appear to come from any bank, credit card co. or financial instituion. I've received them apparently from companies I don't even have an account with. They just do a mass mailing & if they get a 1% response they hit paydirt.

Can't believe every thing in your e-mail :mad:

retroxrider

A real good site to check for any of this stuff is www.snopes.com They will tell you whether it is true or false, fake or legit. As stated before, never click an embedded link in an e-mail - you have no idea where it is taking you.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I see these things come across my desk all the time. We had a business that reportedly received a letter from the US Dept. of Transportation, on what appeared to be a good letterhead from the govt. asking for business information. The receptionist saw the letterhead and was going to send in bank account information, everything that they asked for. When the owner saw it, he stopped her immediately and pointed out that there were no telephone numbers, no good address, etc. on the letter.

As was said before, if these people would spend the same amount of time doing real work instead of trying to scam people, there is no telling what we could accomplish.

Last edited: