Want to do a quick connect - help!

wb2nco

So I have a capped gas line going to the right rear of the camper just behind the rear wheel (see pic). I want to be able to hook a portable gas grill to it. Based on the image what do I need? There are so many quick connect parts to choose from. What do I need? I would also like to add a shut off valve at this connect. Any part/so or links of what I would need would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20140517_164221.jpg
    20140517_164221.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 63

gasman

Camp Socializer
When you buy the propane quick connect, it will have a shutoff valve built into it. Check the size of the inlet on the female connector. It likely will be 3/8". You need a black 1/2" x 3/8"(or whatever size the connector is) bell reducer and a black short 3/8" nipple. Remove the cap, attach the reducer, then the nipple, then the connector. Be sure to use pipe dope or thread tape on the joints. The connector should have a dust plug included. Be sure to insert it into the connector when not in use to keep out the critters, dirt, and whatever else. When you are done with the assembly, mix some liquid dish soap and water in a 1:10 ratio. Turn the gas on at the tanks and brush the soap solution on the joints to check for leaks. You could also take the trailer to a good RV repair shop and have them perform a manometer test on the LP system to check for leaks if you are uneasy about it.

szewczyk_john

Note that you will not be able to run most grills off of this line since it is after the regulator and is therefore a low pressure line. Most grills out there are considered high pressure only. Do a search of the forum and you will see older threads about this topic. Most of us carry an additional propane bottle for the grill. One other option is to buy an "Y" adapter that can be put on to the bottle, then run your RV lines to one side and the grill line to the other out through the bottom of the propane compartment.

pegmikef

As mentioned, it is a low pressure outlet, but there are several grills out there. I have the Olympian 5500 low pressure grill and it comes with a hose with quick connect fittings on it. I had to add a quick connect fitting to the gas outlet. Here is a link to thesource for those. I also had to get a bushing a Lowes to adapt the fitting to the line. Good luck.

http://www.propaneproducts.com/catalog/quick-connectors-39-1.html

swiftk77

I also ordered my quick connect fittings at propaneproducts.com and they have worked great for the past few years. Make sure you don't use regular plumbers tape for the fittings, but rather pipe compound for gas pipe fittings. I think I bought the compound at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk