What a wasted space...

MotoLynx27x

During the installation of my rear view camera system on the back of my Prowler, I noticed a bunch of wasted space under the back bed. the only access to it is to remove the bed and pull up the panels.

501975fd2bc4f5c681b13b81e4b16b37.jpg

The back corner cubby that has the two capped off water lines shown would be a great place to store sewer/water hose parts but I have no easy way to access it.

23e993ecb4f7dbfd9f2fd509c80f0b2a.jpg

Has anyone added exterior access doors to their camper before? Is it hard to do?

priorguy

Any dealer could do it easily. If you attempt it yourself you better be pretty confident in you skill level. You don't want a structural issue or potential leak. Could be as simple as cutting a hole and inserting a storage door. Maybe somebody else has done this before.

I keep lesser used items and spare parts under my rear bunk. There is definitely a ton if space there. All my water entry including the hot water tank us under there. My electrical entry is at the opposite end of the bunk so lots of pipes and wires run through. They are well separated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If, as it looks in the photos, the outer wall is flat and not fiberglas, it should be relatively simple with intermediate woodworking skills. You will want to build a wooden frame on the inside to give the door frame something secure to mount to. The door frame should cover the cut edges on the outside. Gasket and caulk will keep the elements out. A consideration before doing it is what size doors are available and will any that fit actually give you the opening access you need.

If you examine the cargo doors you currently have, you should get an idea of how it's installed.

Moto,

I too have the 27LX and absolutely agree how wasted that room is. Did you ever try to add another hatch. It seems to me it might not be tall enough from the outside because how low the bunk window is.

donr827

I owned a Carriage Cameo that had the storage area in the rear of the trailer. It has 3 access doors, both sides and rear. I keep the power cord, collapsible latter, sewer hose and hydraulic jacks back there. From what I was told that the design of the frame, they made their own frames, allowed them to do this.........Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
there are times when wasted space is turned into storage areas but we have to keep in mind that as we add stuff, we increase weight.
I knew about an area in my Bighorn that I wanted better access to so I installed an exterior door. I found the door in Elkhart during a Heartland Rally. It was purchased at one of the surplus parts stores.
The pictures didn't load in the right order but it's easy to see a sequence. I now have easier access to some plumbing and electrical. I rarely use this area to stow anything.

Attachments

• Under toilet.jpg
    Under toilet.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 169

porthole

Retired
Nice job Ray. What did you do to make sure you didn't having framing interference?

(and what did you do with Lin for the day ;))

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice job Ray. What did you do to make sure you didn't having framing interference?

(and what did you do with Lin for the day ;))

I had been in the compartment before and knew there were no "studs" in the area. An easier method is a visual on cool damp mornings when the side of the rig is damp and you can see the framing (dry lines).
Lin was OK with it. She trusts me :rolleyes:.