The right jack for the rv

Handy

A Florida camper
Got a new jack for the bighorn. Got it at Harbor Freight. The rv is 23 inches off the ground and the jack was 231/2 high. ended up cutting 1&1/2 off it and it is a easy fit now

Attachments

• DSCN0102.jpg
    DSCN0102.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 140

dbbls59

I would be interested in how you cut the jack down. How low will your unit be with a flat tire? May have difficulty getting the jack under it then.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If your intent is to be able to raise the camper to change a flat tire, like the 2nd poster mentioned, you will need a bottle jack that fits under the frame or other jacking point when the tire is flat. A 6 ton regular size bottle jack will work but you'll probably need a 2X10X10 board to keep the jack from sinking into the ground. You should include this board in your measurement.
The tall jack you purchased would be very unstable. Remember to chock tires or be hooked up to your tow vehicle while changing tires.

Handy

A Florida camper
You can use a hack saw to get it off but I used a power cut off saw and my power sander to get it flat. You can run the good tire up on a board to get the jack under or lower the landing gear a little. With the rv on the truck I can still get it under. I did jack it up with that jack to lub the springs wet bolts. It worked great. It is a 8 ton jack. If I was on dirt I guess I would have to dig out to put a board under it. I have jack stands I use to keep it safe.