Cracked Lineoleum Flooring

JimHamlin

After storing our 2008 Big Horn for the winter ,we opened it up this spring only to find the kitchen linoleum had cracked in 3 places. In addition, there was a screw-head poking up into the linoleum just in front of the counter tops. I tried screwing it back in but it turns out it was stripped - so I just removed it and plugged the hole with filler for now. So my question is, how is the overall floor connected to the frame? The screw I pulled out was around 3" long and appeared to be a type of self-tapping. Are these bolts/screws what holds the subfloor to the frame itself?? The floor also squeaks in this area as you might expect. I'm planning to replace the linoleum and carpeting with a laminate and would like to repair any structural issues at the same time. I'm a pretty good handy-man, just trying to do a little research so I don't make some major mistakes in this regard.

Garypowell

I think it might be best to call Heartland and ask them about your floor. I bought a 2008 since it had a laminated flooring system. I think it was new that year.....but by checking with them you can better understand what you will find.

My experience is chip board on both sides with foam in the middle. There were some braces between the two chip board layers to give it some structure too. I only had a small section opened due to a water leak so I am not sure if all was glued together or screwed.

Others with better/more experience might chime in.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, definitely call Heartland with your VIN. We have an 07 and the sheathing is screwed to wooden floor joists. At some point in 2008 they changed to a laminated system as explained prior but still used linoleum floor covering. In our 07 I removed the linoleum and using a stud finder, did a thorough job of screwing the sheathing to the studs and installed laminate from Home D with attached backing. End result was great and removed a squeak I had near the end of the base cabinets.

traveler44

This was our first winter where we stored the Bighorn unheated and the linoleum in the kitchen split on ours too. I can understand how that happens with the cabinets and everything fastened down on top of it, it has no place to "shrink in" when it gets cold so it just splits in the middle. So now I am trying to figure how to replace it so that it won't happen again. Should I use another product that doesn't tend to contract and expand as much or should I allow for expansion and contraction along the edges?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, you might want to consider installing some sort of laminate flooring. I know a couple of people that have and it looks great.
I also recently have seen some snap together flooring at Menard's that is only about 1/8" thick. Looked pretty nice.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here are some pictures as promised in the PM.

Attachments

• Before..JPG
    Before..JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 128
  • After..JPG
    After..JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 119

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might want to consider a product called Allure, by TrafficMaster. It's planks of vinyl flooring that can resemble tile or wood. Easy to install, and is a floating floor. We installed in our laundry room in s&b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

You might want to consider a product called Allure, by TrafficMaster. It's planks of vinyl flooring that can resemble tile or wood. Easy to install, and is a floating floor. We installed in our laundry room in s&b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are quite a few similar products, but they all are subject to expansion/contraction problems, especially when exposed to very hot or cold conditions. I looked at Allure, Adura, Konnecto, and others, then installed Konnecto (supposedly the best and most expensive) in my previous fiver. It had numerous seams open when cold. It would be good for home applications where temps are fairly stable, but I don't consider it a good choice for rvs.

GOTTOYS

Over the years I've had this happen to 3 of our trailers. One pop-up and two travel trailers. It's pretty easy to fix. Cut out the old floor around the cabinets and along the the walls etc. Use the old pieces as a template for your new floor. Lay the new floor in place and hold it down around the edges with some quarter round. Open a beer and admire your new floor. There is no glue or self sticking tile that will work with the extreme temperature changes inside a trailer. The floor must be allowed to float to expand and contract. I have also used laminate in one that seemed to work well....Don

Last edited:

JimHamlin

This was our first winter where we stored the Bighorn unheated and the linoleum in the kitchen split on ours too. I can understand how that happens with the cabinets and everything fastened down on top of it, it has no place to "shrink in" when it gets cold so it just splits in the middle. So now I am trying to figure how to replace it so that it won't happen again. Should I use another product that doesn't tend to contract and expand as much or should I allow for expansion and contraction along the edges?

I'm personally going to use the 1/8 inch vinyl laminate stuff after removing our broken-up linoleum. I was shown a very nice installation by an owner's club member (1st name Bob) while down in Gulf Shores. He glued the center section only, going length-wise with 5-6 ft lengths, then snapped the rest into place. This allows the sub floor to expand & contract while allowing the new floor to float on either side. I'm just guessing, but I would think the new vinyl snapped-together flooring should "shift" against the sub floor by less than 1/2 inch on either side in arctic conditions, which would be more than covered by your carpeted slides. Anyway that's the plan on this end, even 'tho the wife & I don't plan to spend anymore time in below-freezing temps.

traveler44

The linoleum that the wife picked out is probably a lot higher grade than the original. I pried up the edge of the carpet and cut about 2" back and all around the cabinets. It doesn't look too bad around the cabinets and I will rent a carpet stapler from Menards today and staple the edge of the carpet back down good. This job is nowhere near as scary as it looks like to start with. Just hard on the knees. I think the new linoleum will have enough places where it can move to keep it from splitting again. THANKS! To all who gave me advice. When we got to the store the wife's shopping instincts kicked in and so I left choosing the flooring in her hands. That beer sounds good I might have one or two this summer.