2014 Ram 4x4 Bed to High

pokypa

Been looking at the 2014 Ram Trademan 4x4 to tow my Big Horn. In looking at it the bed seems to be very high off the ground. Don't think it will work with my Big Horn. It would put the noise of the FW high in the front. If anyone is using the 2014 Ram 4x4 how are you working it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Roger - we have a 2014 Ram 3500 pulling a Landmark without any problems. You can, depending on the type of hitch that you by, adjust the height up or down to help level the camper out to the truck. We have a B & W Companion hitch which we had to drop one notch to level the camper out.
Home 4-22-14.jpg

We just sold a 2009 Ram 3500 single rear wheel with a 2012 Big Country and again could adjust the hitch for proper height.

DSCN2886.jpg

donr827

Also check out the clearance between trailer and truck. Need at least 6 inches in my opinion.Don

porthole

Retired
Roger - we have a 2014 Ram 3500 pulling a Landmark without any problems. You can, depending on the type of hitch that you by, adjust the height up or down to help level the camper out to the truck. We have a B & W Companion hitch which we had to drop one notch to level the camper out.
View attachment 29877

We just sold a 2009 Ram 3500 single rear wheel with a 2012 Big Country and again could adjust the hitch for proper height.

View attachment 29879

Nathan, did you compare the bed heights between the new and old truck?

When I bought my DRW the Ford DRW height to the top of the rails was 4-6 inches lower then every other truck I looked at.

Partly due to the blocks between the springs and axle. The F-350 DRW has 2" blocks, everything else had 4" blocks.
That, and sometime after 2006 all the manufacturers raise the hight of the side rails.

emm4273610re

We just went from a 1999 Ram to a 2014 Ram. Both DRW. Our Bighorn set just right without any adjustment. I have the factory under bed system and the picture frame with my Reese hitch. FYI -- I did notice while installing my fuel/tool box the height of the bedrails was shorter from the bed floor in the new truck by almost 2". Box just fits, top flush with rails now. I'll try to attach a picture.

pokypa

Today we purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW 2WD. We looked at the 2014 but all of them were to high in the back because they were 4WD. We are happy with it and hope to get many miles of trouble free travel, if there is such a thing.
Thanks for all the advice.

Jim.Allison

Towing BC3650RL with 2500HD Turbo Cumins in 4x4, no problem, I was thinking about taking some measurements the next time I was hooked up. But basically Im level. But my Hensley "trailer saver" has a lot of adjustment if I need it. But I do see the same thing you are seeing, I don't think its major once you get it loaded.

porthole

Retired
Standing next to my work partner's 2013 Ram diesel. His tailgate to the top is almost 8" higher then mine.
My truck is level, loaded or unloaded, whereas his is not. But, the difference is quite noticeable.