My First Trip was...

sdgirl

A BLAST~! Just a short drive up to Temecula, to the Galway Downs Equestrian Park, off the 79 (for those of you who know where that is). Took me about an hour to get there from San Diego. The trailer pulls great! The hills and a few big rigs slowed me down, but I made it with no trouble. Since I was alone, I was hoping that my 3 friends would be there before me, but no such luck. However, luck WAS with me, as I was able to find a Pull Through spot so that I didn't have to back up. I was able to park "fairly" well and waited for my friends. The got there about 30 minutes after I did. We got their horses unloaded then setup the trailer. Everything worked GREAT! Heater, fridge, the slides, all the lights. The water heater!!! Ya know, I was afraid that I'd be reall cold taking a shower where you had to wet down, turn off the water, soap up then rinse off, but I wasn't cold at all! And the cut off at the shower head is great, so that you don't have to waste water while you get your mixture right again. On the last night, we even watched a DVD movie,, surround sound was pretty cool !!!
On the last Morning, it was time to dump the tanks. Thank Goodness, one of my friends had done this with her parents RV, so she was able to help me. Okay,, that did NOT go exactly as planned. WOW,, what a STENCH. However, my friend did say that it's NOT normally that smelly. At most RV parks, you can hook up as soon as you get there, so you don't have to dump everything at once, plus this place didn't have a great setup, as there was some,, Umm,, leakage.
Got the trailer home just fine. Once my sister got home from work, she was able to help me back up into our driveway. I found a new way to do that too. Our neighbors across the street were gone that day, so I drove straight into their driveway, from the street, and by the time I hit the end of their driveway, the rig was almost straight. Made backing into MY driveway (which is directly across the street from my neighbors) MUCH easier!
I can't wait to go again, except that today, I'm recharging the battery,, I went out to check the trailer today and didn't have any lights. Seems I left just ONE light on! Ooops. Just KNEW I was going to forget something! Oh,, on the way home, I also forgot to secure the sliding door (between the bedroom and kitchen area). Shoot! No damage, thank goodness, but I'll have to remenber to put that on the checklist!

Tom of Ypsi

Glad you had such a great time and every thing went smooth. One tip for you though, you stated you do not have to dump everything at once. You can leave your grey tanks open all of the time if you wish but do not leave you black tank open until it is somewhat full. If you do this you should have no problems. If you do not do this you can run into big messy problems.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
sdgirl, did you put chemicals in the tank before you took your trip? Make sure you rinse it good after you dump, put some water back in it and more chemicals, or phuuueeeee:eek:! Bob:D

Netem

I wish I could get my trailer out. I always close my grey water before our last shower then when I dump the black water i have some grey water to help rince things out. Buy some of those cheap surgical gloves it helps with the not so pleasant job.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
hey sd girl,
way to go! I hope to have the same luck when we pick up our new 2009 Bighorn 3400RE and take our shakedown first trip. Don't forget to sign up for the socal rally in Anaheim feb 22-24. Check with Bob and Patty about details. I plan to learn as much as I can and soak up knowledge from these experienced RVers

sdgirl

My first trip

sdgirl, did you put chemicals in the tank before you took your trip? Make sure you rinse it good after you dump, put some water back in it and more chemicals, or phuuueeeee:eek:! Bob:D

Bob,, yes and Yes! And then 4 days after I got back, I wnet out to check the trailer to make sure I didn't have any POO smell, and it was fine, no odor at all! However, I found out that I accidently left one of the lights on, so my battery is DEAD. I plugged it into the house for a few hours, but will need to do that again this weekend, I think, to try to get the battery charged back up a bit.

As for really rinsing out the black water, I don't THINK I got that done very well. I really need to come to the Rally and have you show me what you mean. Plus I have to go Walmart and get those other hoses. Oh, and GLOVES~! And a small tool kit for the trailer. One of the door latches keeps coming loose and I have to tighten down the screw! Any suggestions for what tools to always keep on board?

Thanks,
Dena

Netem

An old trick for cleaning out the black tank is after dumping it pour a bag of ice cubes down the toilet and drive home the ice bangs around then melts. They didn't always have these fancy black water sprayers.

Bob&Patty

Dena, so far you have done great. Pretty soon you will have it done pat. So far as tools, I guess it would depend on how adept you are at using them. I would get a good set of screw drivers, philips and blade type. Maybe a set torx bit drivers. Get some plyers, different size cresent wrenchs, a good pair of channel lock plyers, a roll of duct tape, electrical tape, a small box of fuses of different sizes (5-10-15-20-30) amps. At some time get a 2 ton bottle jack, just in case. You will also need to get the lumber I told you about and get it cut. Instead of getting a tool box for the coach, I used some tupper ware containers with lids. I put all my end wrenchs in one, screw drivers in one, sockets and rachets in one , and all my electrical stuff in another. They all fit in the tool box area and easy to get to. I need to look at your tool box. I was able to put a lot of other things in mine. I might suggest you and Roy go to sears and look at a small tool set with the things I suggested. You will need some end wrenchs, but get the wrenchs that are open and box end combos, a set of sockets, shallow and deep, some american, some metric, you might even get a set of 1/4" drive sockets, some ratches and extentions for the sockets. Now that I have you totally confused,:confused: just call me, get a pencil and note book and I will "splane Lucy" 951-699-0946. Bob :D:D:eek:

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
Sounds great! I've lived in So Cal my entire life so I know exactly where you were. Good choice for a close first trip. Happy camping!!!

sdgirl

Tools to keep on board

Bob,
I just rechecked this thread, sorry about that. As for tools, I'll have Roy read this list, thanks. He worked for Kragen for 20 years, so I'm sure he'll know what you mean. As for the lumber you told us to buy, thanks for the reminder. I have to find that post again and print it out. When we were washing the coach yesterday, I showed Roy the main storage area, which one of our cats inspected with GREAT care... I think he wants to take a trip with us! Roy was impressed with the amount of room. And asked, how could you fill all that up??? I'm beginning to think that might be easier than I imagined! :eek:

Bob&Patty

sdGirl, trust me, you will fill it up. Look into getting some folding chairs and couple of folding tables. Go to Lowes and have them cut you a 20' piece of portable lawn. Get a couple old belts, that way you can roll up the lawn and keep it in place with the belts. You might get one of the 7' folding ladders a CW. You and Roy will get the hang of it, just look at what other people have and do. Bob :D:D:eek:

sdgirl

storage bay

Bob,, oh, NO DOUBT that we will fill it up! we are just so new, we don't even know what we don't know! LOL. I already thought of the chairs and ladder and some sort of 'lawn' area. Plus tools. Roy saw a bamboo rug at costco that he really liked,, but didn't buy,, yet. I have a feeling that if he goes there by himself, he WILL buy it.