Internet Wi-FI

Churchwell

We have found that camping in our RV, we found ourselves in a COE campground with NO Wi-Fi.... and so no internet for 2 weeks... It was the perfect place otherwise. So ..... our question is this.... Do any of you have mobile Wi-Fi?? If you do....what do you have and what are the pros and cons of what you have?? Thank you for any and all suggestions...

Larry & Carolyn

jimtoo

Hi Larry and Carolyn,

Yes,,, lots of folks have wi-fi on their phone and can make a hot-spot just about anyplace they are located. I am sure you will get more suggestions soon. I do have Sprint, and use it when none is available or is really slow.

I am moving thread to a better area also.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have smart phones with data plans.
I have enabled the phones to be hot spots.
So if there is a signal wherever we are we have internet.
We have been at COE parks that had great 4G service.
And the phone data plans are more secure than any campground wifi.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

You will find a whole bunch of similar threads on the subject here : //heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/118-Telecommunications-for-RVers

I just moved to the WiFi2200 on Verizon, unlimited data, $10 a month. You can find this product/service on Amazon.com .

JanAndBill

We have Dish TV, and routinely take a receiver with us on the road. Now that Dish offers a satellite option has anyone tried going mobile with it??? I know the satellite internet is a little more difficult to set up then the TV, but seems to me it would work.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Has anyone used the Straight talk Mobile hotspot service sold through wal-mart? I am curious because it looks like you can activate it for a month and then deactivate it until you decide you want internet service again. It looks like offers 4G service through the Verizon network.

wdk450

We have Dish TV, and routinely take a receiver with us on the road. Now that Dish offers a satellite option has anyone tried going mobile with it??? I know the satellite internet is a little more difficult to set up then the TV, but seems to me it would work.

I thought that the Dish internet sounded like a great RV solution, too, but I learned that Dish puts internet on special narrow beam "spotbeams", and assigns users to a specific spotbeam, which they won't change. This satellite internet solution would require a much tighter aiming of the dish and the RV NOT TO MOVE more than about 250 miles. Bottom line is that Dish won't sell this service to RV users because of these limitations.

porthole

Retired
You will find a whole bunch of similar threads on the subject here : //heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/118-Telecommunications-for-RVers

I just moved to the WiFi2200 on Verizon, unlimited data, $10 a month. You can find this product/service on Amazon.com .

Bill, how did you get unlimited data?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not sayin it can't be, but even Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data anymore. Or anything for $10.
I would be curious as to the speed. It may be throttled down.
Can you do a speed test?

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

I use the Verizon Jet Pack (with a booster when necessary) and it works great. I have only the 2 gig data package, but that is more than I need. It is 4G and allows up to ten devices (but they share the 2 gig). I works well for my wife's and my needs since we are part timers. If you need more data you might look into the millenium as I understand it is 20 plus gigs for around 80 bucks plus the cost of the device.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
AT&T has some shared data plans that are a little better priced than Verizon. We have AT&T recently went from unlimited family plan to a 10gb shared plan between two phones and a mifi device and saved nearly $70 a month. Unlimited wasn't really... They would send warnings when we exceeded 3gb. We are vacationers, but I often work while on the road and use a lot of data doing file transfers. So far we've not gone anywhere where coverage was lacking, and we typically use between 3-5 gb.

Pay as you go really makes you conserve, because to add data once you run out gets pricey quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

X2
I did the same. No streaming-use for surfing the web and email. I have tested mine and it is working well. $100 for 1 year if paid in advance. 2 months free when you buy the jetpack. I am getting ready to pay for a year. This is 3G through Verizon but as stated above I bought mine on Amazon.

porthole

Retired
Porthole and Cookie and All Doubting the deal I cited:
See: http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wirel...UTF8&qid=1400766715&sr=8-3&keywords=mifi+2200

I don't notice any appreciable difference in performance on the 3G versus 4G system. Besides that, I'm retired and time is a commodity.

Not doubting you Bill just curious. I have one of those Verizon mifi's and it was an unlimited data plan (3G).
Verizon would not let me upgrade to either a 4G or transfer it from a business account to a consumer account and not lose the unlimited.
Even purchasing a new 3G from Verizon would only allow tying it into my shared plan.

All I really wanted was a unit that allowed an external antenna and keep my unlimited.

Like you, I found 3 G more then sufficient, especially since I was use to it already.