How many problems are "normal" for a new trailer?

CeeCee99

I have been getting advice on my tire underinflation in another thread, but hrte, I'd like a reality check on expectations for a new trailer. 2014 NT Caliber 30RKDD purchased 3/31/2014. I later discover it was built 3/13/2013. So on the lot a year: Here's the list after spending about 20 days in it.
1) Delivered tires underinflated tires (24% low).
2) Delivered with exterior scratches I didn't notice.
3) Undermount kitchen sink leaks all around.
4) Numerous (6-10) holes in bedroom wall panel that had been puttied ove, badly, a staple sticking out.
5) Both interior doors were hung poorly causing one to fail to close and the other to jamb lovked in transit.
6) Rain gutter clogged at one end with caulk.
7) Cracked roof caulk along top edges.
8) Shower surround bows and buckles.
9) Rain water leaked into basement and soaked floor under vinyl. (Water coming out of same gutter, the end if which lines up with basement door.)
10) Substantial underbelly rust.
11) Gray tank overflowed into underbelly causing significant water build up, soaked insulation, and sag. This is after about the 5th time I filled and emptied gray tank.

How much is too much? Travel plans now thwarted for days, a week or more and I just got moved into it.

Reality check? Thanks.

Ladiver

Re: How many problems are "normal" for a new trailet?

CeeCee,

I wish I could offer you more hope, but I can not. I have known many people with RV's and they all have issues. It does not matter if it is a $10K pop-up type or $1M bus. While I agree it is very frustrating, once you get the issues resolved, you should be in for a great RV'ing experience. I can only recommend not to sweat the small stuff. If the smaller items (tire pressure and exterior scratches) really bother you, then maybe this is not for you. It took my wife several years to come to terms with the fact that our trailer would always have something go wrong. Once that was understood and accepted, then we got the trailer and have been very happy with it. Granted, it has been to the service department 6+ times and 2-3 months in less than a year, but we knew it would be. Luckily, Heartland is great to work with and they will do their best to make it right.

If you dealer is not helping you, you can always find an independent shop. That is what I have done. Plus I have learned to fix much of it myself. I was not even close to a handy man before the trailer, but I sure am getting there now!

Good luck and enjoy,

Jeff

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Ceecee, the build date would be correct for 2014 model. So, when you did your PDI at the dealer.....did you point out these things and have correct them?? I hope you dont think that the dealer did any maintance on the coach while sitting on their lot. 24% low on air....did your dealer air up the tires before you took delivery?? Scratches were not noted on a "due bill" at your PDI?? Rusty frame....can happen if the trailer was driven on salty roads from the plant and your dealer did not pressure wash the under side when it was recieved. Water in the underbelly....that can happen from just driving in the rain. The insulation is nothing but bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides. You can do 1 of 2 things. Drop the underbelly and let it dry out or drill some 1/4" holes(leave them there), in the center of the sags and it will drain and dry up. Sorry your having issues......but your dealer really let you down. I would have a STRONG talk with them and have them repair or order needed parts ASAP. A call to HL service might also speed up the process. Make sure you have your VIN# handy when you call.

pegmikef

CeeCee,
As others have said, I lay most of this on your dealer. IMHO he should never have let you drive away with it in that condition. I too bought a North Trail (26LRSS) that had sat on a dealer's dusty lot in the bright sun in San Antonio, TX for 10 months. I met a salesman at the lot on a Sunday to see that specific model and was a little taken aback because the outside was very dirty and the paint looked faded. . . but the inside was in great shape. I mentioned it to the salesman and he said not to worry it will be all cleaned up before you get it and everything will be checked out. Two weeks later when we picked it up, it was like a different trailer inside and out. Then they we did a very thorough PDI and the tech pointed out the issues they had fixed. We put 16k plus miles on that TT in two years and never had an issue except for minor easily fixed things (i.e., cabinet hinges, shade strings). The only down side of the whole deal was the BlowMax tires on the trailer which resulted in one blowout, and bubbles on two separate tires. I just replaced them. I now have a Big Horn which I special ordered and have had zero issues with it (I had G614s put on it at the factory). I say all this just to point out that the condition of your North Trail is probably the exception and the dealer is the one with the most influence over how an RV is delivered to the custormer. That being said, the customer also has a responsibility to scrutinize the product he/she is buying before accepting it.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

After owning 4 new RV's I'd say your issues are normal. Get those small issues fixed then modify and enjoy your trailer.

donr827

When I purchased my first trailer many years ago it was a learning experience on how to do a PDI before accepting the trailer. Finally I think I have it correct. On my current trailer I was on the roof checking the caulking, under the trailer for a look at the frame and suspension items, made sure that EVERYTHING worked as it should. I had a list of 12 items that needed tweaking and had them fixed before taking possession. You should be good to go after the dealer takes care of your problems.Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My experience is this . . .

Once you leave the dealership's lot with your trailer, you are on your own!

Check it out completely during the PDI, otherwise you'll have problems getting your dealership to deal with those warranty issues.

CeeCee99

Thanks everyone. Being new to "new", I understood there would bre some fit and finish issues. They are taking care of everything today. I don't want to be too picky, and I don't mind a little DYI. Just wanted to know if I was being too picky...appreciate it. I do enjoy the trailer and hope to get set up for holiday weekend!

CeeCee99

Just wanted to post that I was at the dealer (Webster City) yesterday and they took care of everything very well. The gray tank was fine, but the shower trap had begun leaking, so it ended up being a smaller problem. Thanks for the reality checks!
I have been getting advice on my tire underinflation in another thread, but hrte, I'd like a reality check on expectations for a new trailer. 2014 NT Caliber 30RKDD purchased 3/31/2014. I later discover it was built 3/13/2013. So on the lot a year: Here's the list after spending about 20 days in it.
1) Delivered tires underinflated tires (24% low).
2) Delivered with exterior scratches I didn't notice.
3) Undermount kitchen sink leaks all around.
4) Numerous (6-10) holes in bedroom wall panel that had been puttied ove, badly, a staple sticking out.
5) Both interior doors were hung poorly causing one to fail to close and the other to jamb lovked in transit.
6) Rain gutter clogged at one end with caulk.
7) Cracked roof caulk along top edges.
8) Shower surround bows and buckles.
9) Rain water leaked into basement and soaked floor under vinyl. (Water coming out of same gutter, the end if which lines up with basement door.)
10) Substantial underbelly rust.
11) Gray tank overflowed into underbelly causing significant water build up, soaked insulation, and sag. This is after about the 5th time I filled and emptied gray tank.

How much is too much? Travel plans now thwarted for days, a week or more and I just got moved into it.

Reality check? Thanks.

Ladiver

CeeCee,

I am glad to hear everything is fixed to your satisfaction. Enjoy the long weekend. Just keep a notepad available and document any "issues" that arise. Either you can deal with them yourself, or collect another list and let the dealer handle several at once.

jbeletti

CeeCee,

Webster City? I was born in Fort Dodge and did some work in WC back in the late 70s early 80s.

Happy to hear your dealer has knocked out your punch list. Same as owning a sticks and bricks home - there will be issues that come up and there is plenty of general maintenance that must be done.

I suggest you keep a running list of all RV items that need to be addressed, as they crop up. Then take care of those that you want to, yourself and leave on the list, those you have no desire to tackle. Later this summer, make a late fall or winter appointment with your dealer to have your final warranty punch list knocked out.

Then next season, again, just keep a list and knock out what you want/can yourself. After March, dealer repairs will be on your dime. Anything you can do yourself is money kept in your pocket and another thing you can now do and add to your book of experience.

I hope we will be seeing you at the Iowa rally in Altoona coming up soon as well as the Central Regional rally coming up in October in Amana. Rallies are a GREAT place to learn more about your RV from those who've "been there done that".

Have a great camping season and see you down the road :)

DonnyB007

Just wanted to post that I was at the dealer (Webster City) yesterday and they took care of everything very well. The gray tank was fine, but the shower trap had begun leaking, so it ended up being a smaller problem. Thanks for the reality checks!

i just finished getting our trailer ready for our summer travels to the East coast of Canada. I found a leaky connection with PEX fittings. I have never worked with that stuff, but I bought a few basic tools and some spare connections. Then low and behold I had the water leak fixed in 10 minutes! Next was the hot water tank outlet bolt that needed some TLC and that stopped leaking. Then it was lots of cleaning inside and out and it now looks new again and ready for the road. Oh and this year we got a new Honda EU3000si generator for the low noise level and the 30 amp service. We plan on doing lots of boondocking where we don't pay nothing this year, except gas for the generator :)

We have had tons of fun with our Heartland Trailer and we can't wait till we take off this Wednesday for another 3 months of fun on the road. So good luck with your trailer my friend.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We store our 5ver away from home, but check on it weekly. A few weeks ago I thought I saw a very slight rippling in the bedroom slide wall, only visible in certain light. After careful examination, I found some caulking that was separated... Even closer examination and we have a slide issue causing the separation only when closed. This unit is 4 years old and has seen many miles. I'm not upset, just another thing to figure out and fix or get fixed, so we can enjoy many more miles. It really is a constant process to look over your coach and be proactive with the maintenance.

If your coach sat at the dealer a while, I doubt they maintained it. Caulking needs to be looked at every three months.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had my trailer tires balanced this morning and they discovered that one of the wheels was bent.

That one is now my spare.

I'm hoping that it will now ride smoother (not that anyone will be riding in it, of course).

camr

Ceecee99, perhaps a reply from someone that owns a SOB will help bring some perspective. Our first coach was a Heartland. When it came time to upsize, we had no local Heartland dealer and I was still in of the belief that a trailer should be purchased locally. Our current unit is an Open Range, which we are pleased with. Our "local dealer" is a typical "local dealer", which taught me that there is precious little benefit to buying locally, and got me pretty darn good at fixing the myriad of issues that will constantly surface with any brand. We had a real eye opener this trip while camping in Shipshawana this spring. We ran into a fellow camper who had owned a brand new DRV Mobile Suite ( expensive to the N'th degree) and was so unhappy with the unit's constant defects and lack of dealer support that he traded the unit after less than one year, taking the inevitable financial hit that the first year depreciation slams us with. Even buying "expensive" is no guarantee of quality construction. As an owner, our only defence is to perform a meticulous, well documented PDI so that after the "local dealer" gives us the inevitable service, we can contact the manufacturer. And that is where Heartland shines. Participation in this forum, personal contact from the factory, and going far beyond what other manufacturers will do on a one to one basis after warrantee expiration are Heartland's strengths.
All coaches are a collection of other manufacturers parts. It is not whether problems will occur, because they will, in spades. It is how the are handled and corrected. From my personal experience, no one does it better than Heartland.

We spent a week in the Elkhart area doing factory visits. Next year we will be purchasing a full time coach, and it will most likely be a Landmark.

My my suggestion would be to scrape the caulk out of the gutter, throw some air in the tires, tighten any water fittings that you can and give your dealer a chance to fix the rest. Every issue you correct by yourself will be a learning experience that will train you to make repairs later down the road, when you are 500 miles away from a "local dealer".

jbeletti

Cam,

Thank you for your perspective. Very well said. Have a great camping season in your O.R. and hope to see you back in a Heartland when timing is right for you.