Just lucky I guess

Rodbuster

We just went through one heck of a hailstorm at Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado Springs, CO. I spoke to several campers and they all said that it was the worst hail storm that they have ever been through. I also spoke to the park ranger and asked if these were common. His answer was, "not at all".

I've got a few dents on the hood of my truck but what I'm really wondering about is the roof and roof components on the RV. I'm really not built to get up on the roof to inspect it here in the field, (back home would be different).
Does anybody have any experience on just "how tough" these Landmark roofs are??? The hail size averaged about 1 inch and the storm lasted about 10 to 15 minutes.
I'm not looking for a guarantee that there not be any damage to my roof, just an opinion. I know I'll have to get it inspected as soon as possible.

Dick

danemayer

Dick,

1" hail for 10-15 minutes sounds worse than what several people experienced in Canton, TX last month. I think they are having their roofs replaced.

olcoon

100_2021.jpg100_2036.JPG100_2022.jpg100_2037.JPG100_2024.jpg100_2030.JPG

Rodbuster,
In June of 2011, we were workcamping just outside of Castle Rock Co, and went through 2 hail storms, the first one wasn't too bad & didn't last very long, but the second one was epic. Had damage to the truck, both of the vent domes were broken, and the awning was damaged, even though it was rolled up. The only damage we had to the roof was the plastic/rubber seal covering the screws holding down the rubber roof had a hole in it where a hail stone hit it directly. It did no damage to the rubber roof, and we haven't had any leaks because of it. Here are some photos of the hail.

Lance & Jo

We had a hail storm a couple weeks ago with 2 inch size hail. All vent covers and shower dome were shattered and the rolled up awning beat to death. The roof itself came through much better than I expected and seems to be able to absorb a lot of punishment. My roof is being replaced but only because of a tear on the outside corner but overall only a couple noticeable dents in the foil and after running my hands over most of the decking only a few dents. The roof on the house was not nearly so lucky. I suggest you call your insurance and they should provide an adjuster to check out the roof for you, good luck.

BobX2

Sorry to hear that you got caught in the storm. Hopefully you didn't take too much damage. Been a rough couple of days, with one or two more to come, before it moves out of here. The Ranger was not being quite honest with you when he said hail storms like that aren't common in these parts. We typically have 5-10 damaging hail storms every year along the front range. Like any other weather event, it is just the luck of the draw whether you get hit or not.
On the lighter side, you can get some really good deals on new cars after a good hail storm, if you don't mine the dents. :)

ncc1701e

We just went through one heck of a hailstorm at Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado Springs, CO. I spoke to several campers and they all said that it was the worst hail storm that they have ever been through. I also spoke to the park ranger and asked if these were common. His answer was, "not at all".I've got a few dents on the hood of my truck but what I'm really wondering about is the roof and roof components on the RV. I'm really not built to get up on the roof to inspect it here in the field, (back home would be different).Does anybody have any experience on just "how tough" these Landmark roofs are??? The hail size averaged about 1 inch and the storm lasted about 10 to 15 minutes.I'm not looking for a guarantee that there not be any damage to my roof, just an opinion. I know I'll have to get it inspected as soon as possible.Dick
EWe saw the weather and figured you might have gotten caught. What a way to start your journey this summer. Keep safe guys.

Rodbuster

UPDATE;

I went up on my ladder to inspect the roof and everything looks OK. I guess we were pretty lucky and dodged the bullet.
We just got a few minor dents on the hood of the truck....maybe it's time to trade for a brand new 2015 F-450. (Sure hope Fran doesn't read this)

Dick

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have my trailer all hooked up and ready to go for next week's campout (see you Tuesday at Cheyenne Mountain - we'll be arriving around 2 p.m.) . . .

I live on the north side of Denver and the worst part of yesterday's storm hit about five miles east from my house, but I was lucky and didn't get the hail that destroyed a bunch of houses just to the east of us.

Although the TV stations are telling us to be prepared for more this afternoon . . .

Our old trailer had major hail damage . . . just something we can't avoid here in Colorado!

guyc66

We just went through one heck of a hailstorm at Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado Springs, CO. I spoke to several campers and they all said that it was the worst hail storm that they have ever been through. I also spoke to the park ranger and asked if these were common. His answer was, "not at all".

I've got a few dents on the hood of my truck but what I'm really wondering about is the roof and roof components on the RV. I'm really not built to get up on the roof to inspect it here in the field, (back home would be different).
Does anybody have any experience on just "how tough" these Landmark roofs are??? The hail size averaged about 1 inch and the storm lasted about 10 to 15 minutes.
I'm not looking for a guarantee that there not be any damage to my roof, just an opinion. I know I'll have to get it inspected as soon as possible.

Dick

Sorry to hear you got caught in that hail storm. I work at Cheyenne Mountain AFS up the hill from the state park and had just left to go home right before everything broke loose.......whew, that was a close one! Glad to hear your damage was minimal compared to what it could have been.

JohnD

Sorry to hear you got caught in that hail storm. I work at Cheyenne Mountain AFS up the hill from the state park and had just left to go home right before everything broke loose.......whew, that was a close one! Glad to hear your damage was minimal compared to what it could have been.

Stop by and see us . . . we will be in site #15 Monday night through Wednesday night next week.

guyc66

UPDATE;

I went up on my ladder to inspect the roof and everything looks OK. I guess we were pretty lucky and dodged the bullet.
We just got a few minor dents on the hood of the truck....maybe it's time to trade for a brand new 2015 F-450. (Sure hope Fran doesn't read this)

Dick

If you are still there today you might want to keep an eye on the weather because conditions look good for another round of hail today. We just received the following weather alert at work.....Weather Warning 05-004: Forecast Large Hail Greater Than or Equal to 3/4 inch. Along with damaging winds greater than or equal to 50 knots. Effective times: Now - 1900L.</SPAN></SPAN>

JohnD

There is a Tornado Warning right now up by Red Feathers & Rustic up Poudre Canyon (west of FT. Collins) . . .

And right now in Thornton (north side of Denver) I am hearing thunder . . .

Edit: Just went outside . . . looks like we have a big one coming!

JohnD

Storm has passed to the east . . . just got some rain and a little bit of hail.