Screen Door Plexi Glass

jonesj2

Yesterday we purchased our first 5th wheel a Heartland Sundance 2900MK, so far so good. Planning on taking it out next weekend. Anyway is there a company where you can purchase plexiglass pre-cut for the screen door? I have always cut mine out on the other TT I have owned but the doors were all square. The 5th wheel is kinda round at the top. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We took our screen door off our camper and took it to a local window and glass repair shop. They replaced the screen with plexiglass and did a great job for about $50.00.We purchased our Landmark from Bill Plemmons RV here in North Carolina.Did you purchase your unit in North Carolina?

jonesj2

No we purchased ours in Ringold VA outside of Danville at RV Outlet USA. I found them on the internet. We were working a deal with Americamp in Asheboro, before I found RVOUSA.

Jim in Liberty NC

Last edited by a moderator:

jrlebaron

I did my own. For the rounded corners i found something that was similar is shape trace it on the glass and it with a plexi glass cutter, smoothed the edges with sand paper. I used velcro to install on the inside of the door so that i can remove it easily.
Jim

nhunter

What is the advantage of the plexiglass? Does it replace the screen? Never heard of this before.

trdeal

I like to be able to see outside when I am on the inside.With the plexiglass I can leave the outside door open and see outside and still have the cool and heat inside the camper.

trdeal

No we purchased ours in Ringold VA outside of Danville at RV Outlet USA. I found them on the internet. We were working a deal with Americamp in Asheboro, before I found RVOUSA.

Jim in Liberty NC
Hi Jim, we have some camping friends that live in Asheboro.If I am not mistaken Ashboro is not to far from Liberty.We live about 2 hours from Asheboro towards Asheville.Anyway,glad you are a part of the Heartland family.

jonesj2

Yes we are only 20 miles from Asheboro. I bet your friends visit a park that we go too alot and that is Hagan Stone in Pleasant Garden. If you are ever down this way PM me and maybe we can meet.

trdeal

Yes we are only 20 miles from Asheboro. I bet your friends visit a park that we go too alot and that is Hagan Stone in Pleasant Garden. If you are ever down this way PM me and maybe we can meet.
I don't know if they have ever been to that park or not.We do get down that way and will let you know when we are going to be in the area.

vangoes

Jonesj2
I used a Sabre saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade to cut the rounded corners which worked great....just had to do some light sanding on the edge after the cut.

jammaw08

What a neat idea! We removed the frosted glass on the big door and had tinted glass cut and installed. I couldn't stand not being able to see out the door. I thought it would bother me at night but it doesn't because someone would have to get on the top step to look in and with the dogs we would know it before they could get up there. I will have to think on this awhile. With the plexiglas I wouldn't have to worry about the "girls" tearing the screen. Hmmmmmm.

Just picked up our Sundance this week and plan on putting a plexiglass door this weekend. I did it on my previous camper and it came out real nice. I traced the outline of the door onto the plexiglass with the paper still on it. I cut it with a jigsaw and a fine metal cutting blade. Used fine sand paper to finish the edges. I attached it with automotive double stick tape that you would use to attach moldings on a vehicle. kept the camper for 5 years and still looked nice.

jonesj2

So Firefighter, do I understand you correctly, you just traced the whole door and not the window and then attached it using the tape? Do you have any pictures you could share with us?

I measured my last door, cut , sanded and attached using swivels. You may be on to something here.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I always wanted to put plexiglass on the screen door so I could keep the main door open with the air or heat on, but never did it.

Recently I saw something that turned out to be even better. A friend had used clear plastic tablecloth material, which can be purchased in the the fabric section at Walmart and velcro to cover the inside of her screen door. The great thing is, if you want to remove it have air come in...just pull it off, roll it up, and stick it in a cabinet.

I did it the next day, took about 30 minutes and looks great!! The best part the whole thing cost about $25.00.

jbeletti

Great idea Kathy! Can you please post a large size image of it when you get a chance?

Did you use Velcro on the entire perimeter or just portions? Did you use the adhesive backed Velcro?

jonesj2

Here is a couple pictures of the Plexi Glass I installed last night. I had it cut at a local glass shop and I installed it my self. I think it really brings character to the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 121