5th Airborne air pin box.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
I have a 2007 Sundance 3300sk, My question is it worth the investment to install a 5th airborne air pin in place of the factory pin box would there be to much stress on the pin box mounting brackets with stock factory pin box, also I have a Ford F250 a short bed truck , my question is would I be able to turn 90 degree with the 5th wheel Airborn air pin with out damage my trailer or my truck, I wonder If will turn like the factory pin box, also I don't have a sliding 5th wheel. If any body knows I appreciate any advice thanks TRAVELER07 ,hope to hear from you . good site!:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the trail air which is essentially the same thing. It works well to eliminate the excess bouncing of the pin. It does not remove all of the "chucking" associated with washboard roads. The Mor-ryde pin box system does a bit better job of that. With the factory stock pin box you'll notice a bit more bounce but with ANY pin box, you won't get 90 degrees with a short bed. Heartland advertises 88. I had a short chevy and didn't need a slider. Most will agree with that. ASome will say it's nice to have if you ever do get into a situation where you need it.

truknutt

Committed Member
Quest Technologies builds a 5th Airborne Sidewinder Combo. It has the same features as the 5th Airborne hitch box but, for a short bed truck. The pivot point is moved to the rear of the hitch.

If you open the brochure link, there is an exploded view of the unit on page 5.

Camping World carries this line and usually has the "hard" brochures available.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I am picking up my bighorn 3400RE next week and I got a Mor/Ryde pin box, and a 18K automatic Pullrite superglide hitch with a 14" slider. You can buy the mor/ryde at www.tweetys.com for $699, no tax or shipping. You will need a mor/hyde capture plate with it. I bought and am having installed at Camping World the www.pullrite.com hitch on Saturday. Check it out and compare with airborne. I have heard many nice things about my setup. Being new at this rving I don't want to take any chances. I also have a crew cab with a short bed.

iefpro01

I had a 5th Airborne hitch installed on my trailer, and it is very nice. It will take a lot of the chucking and bounicing out of the ride. I also put on air bags and it took even more out. I think it is worth it; you will not get quite as tired as quickly from the bouncing, as well as, less wear and tear on the trailer and it's contents.

I have a long bed, so I do not have an answer to the rest of your questions.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We have it on ours and I really like it. Can hardly tell the trailer is back there, even on bumpy roads. The only complaint I have is the position of the air valve, you practically have to turn yourself inside out to put air in..../Doug

geeksrus

We have it on ours and I really like it. Can hardly tell the trailer is back there, even on bumpy roads. The only complaint I have is the position of the air valve, you practically have to turn yourself inside out to put air in..../Doug

I had the same issue regarding the air valve... got in touch with the Airborne folks & they sent me an extension hose for fillups... don't recall if the charged me or not.
EH!

jaubry

jaubry
5th Airborne

I have a 2009 Sundance 3300BHS and found the 5th airborne to be an advantage on rough roads. We did one trip into Quebec where the roads were really bad without the 5th and found broken dishes on the floor at our destination. The next time we did the same trip with the 5th we had no issues, nothing moved. I highly recommend 5th Airborne.

Johnny Aubry
Sundance 3300BHS
GMC 2500HD D/Max Allison 6 speed

bnunn11

5th Airborne

I too would highly recommend the 5th Airborne! Without it my poor kids would just bounce all over the place in the truck. After installing the 5th airborne the truck rides like a Cadillac! I accidentally left a coffee cup in the microwave and to my surprise when we got to the next campground it was still full!

Worth the money...

Cyclone Traveler

I too agree, the 5th airborne significantly improved the ride. The pin box length is a bit shorter than stock which helps clearance issue caused by my bed cover.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If it is the sidewinder hitch I am familiar with be sure it has the upgraded bearing. If it does not it could fail.

truknutt

Committed Member
Gunny,

Try Tweety's (link here); they seem to be the cheapest for the regular 5th Airborne & include free shipping.

Note the warnings for B&W hitch and Curt Q5 hitch owners at the bottom of the Tweety's page. This info isn't listed on the manufacturer's site.

VixPix

I put the 5th Airborne on my '08 Landmark and it improved the ride quite nicely. Still rough over some of those long stretches of concrete interstate. Prior to my current set up, I had the Pull-Rite hitch in a short bed Ford F350 and loved it! Made maneuvering in tight place a breeze. Don't think you could go wrong adding either one, or both. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rick, some people swear by the air bag type pin boxs. I really like my MOR/RYDE pin box. No chucking and very little up and down shocks. They are quite a bit cheaper and you can get them at Tweedy's. Bob:D