Hitch mounted rock/mud flaps

BLHFUN

Just purchased and installed a hitch mounted mud and rock guard from Pro Flaps. Nice looking and easy to install, but it uses the receiver as the mounting point. The problem with using the receiver is the slop between the hitch and the receiver is exaggerated when you extend the arms to support the DRW's. I love this easy concept, but can't live with 4" of play. I fear the arms with hammer the painted bumper and eventually wear out the mounting bolts. I tried to shim the inner and outer points on the receiver, but then lose the "easy part" of this concept.

Suggestions, ideas or personal experiences welcomed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are both the hitch (Pro Flap) and receiver 2"?
4" of play seems like an awful lot.

Peace
Dave

Majestic

I suspect you are talking about the outer ends are moving 4" Can you put a small chain and hook into a hole in the bumper to get rid of the rocking action?

Gary521

There are fixtures that you can buy to eliminate the end play. I have a bike rack that is designed to do this. It is a bolt that goes thru the receiver and tightens to eliminate slop.

BLHFUN

Yes, the 4 inches is at the ends. I recall my bike rack having the same bolt that removed the slop. Thanks for the reminder and links above. The second problem with the design in the mounting bracket that slides around the receiver. For some odd reason Pro Flaps decided NOT to make this a full square and left the bottom open. With each turn of the tightening bolts, it bends the 1/8" bracket away from the receiver. Creating more slop back and forth. I'll probably just weld the mounting bracket directly to the receiver and eliminate the chance of the breaking or bending further with road bounce. If I can figure out how to reduce pictures, I'll post the before and after.

Thanks!

dbbls59

I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of my receiver. A bolt holds my bike rack rock solid. I used a 1/4 inch fine threaded bolt.

Miltp920

How much $$$$ and where did you buy it? Would you recommend this product?

Just purchased and installed a hitch mounted mud and rock guard from Pro Flaps. Nice looking and easy to install, but it uses the receiver as the mounting point. The problem with using the receiver is the slop between the hitch and the receiver is exaggerated when you extend the arms to support the DRW's. I love this easy concept, but can't live with 4" of play. I fear the arms with hammer the painted bumper and eventually wear out the mounting bolts. I tried to shim the inner and outer points on the receiver, but then lose the "easy part" of this concept.

Suggestions, ideas or personal experiences welcomed.

BLHFUN

I bought it online from truck specialties in spring Texas. It shipped directly from Pro Flaps. It has design flaws that could easily be addressed, and should be. I'll give it a few weeks and check back before I recommend anything. The cost was the best I found on line at $335.00 shipped to the door step.