Bedroom Slide Leaking

hdrider61

Rained in Quartzsite last nite and it looks like water ran the bedoom slide,floor wet on closet side of bed, this is an 08 3912 just purchased two weeks ago,unable to determine if the seals wick water away or is there a plugged weep hole. could use some help anyone. thanks

hdrider61

Thanks Jim, just went checked,bottom seal was pointing inward, pulled it out so that the seal lip is on the outside. Hope this does it. quit raining for now. when the carpet dries, I'll try light spray with a water hose. Thanks again

Sol

Hope flipping the seal worked for you. We were in Quartzsite last weekend, gorgeous weather. Mighty wet weekend for us in the valley too.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I posted last week about the same issue in another heading. I can't find our leak in the seals. I had it at the Explore USA in Mesquite and the Service Mgr, Mike Snow, said he couldn't make it leak on the lot. I sent a message to Jim at the factory hoping for a solution. Apparently, this is going to be an issue with some of the '09 models. Ours seems to be coming in from the top and down through the slide(?), onto the carpeted area beside the bed, and onto the floor at the wall. We'll advise what happens next. I had a conversation with a long time RVer friend who said that the unit may be too level and not allowing the water to run-off, but stand and puddle and then run-in. I don't know, I like level.

jpmorgan37

Jay;
Does the seal at the top extend over the seal on the side? If not, it could allow the water to run down the inside of the seal. Another place I would look; is the inside slide seal tight against the wall? If you can put your fingers between the seal and the wall, this could be another source. The slide may need adjusting. Just a couple of places to look.

John

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Well, the top wiper seal only extends approx. 1" across the top past the corner. The inside white cushion seal seems to be tight. We'll keep looking around the slide.
Thanks for the info.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I had a message from Steve at Heartland and he has arranged to discuss the situation with Explore USA and get a solution when I get it to them next Tuesday. I must add that the company support, along with the dealer has been absolutely fantastic. It's good to know that they are a team and working together toward finding a solution to a problem.
I'll pass along whatever they come up with for everyone else who may have "the leak".

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Well...I'm passing along the sort-of answer. We're still getting water inside between the shower and slide. I set up the unit for Patti on Thursday, last week. Dallas had some semi-serious rain over the weekend and she says the carpet on the slide and the area under the edge is soaked. She placed a towel under the edge and she had to change the towel within 30 minutes. We're going to get back to the dealer and let them look at another solution. We've also discovered a leak under the vanity sink. That, I'm sure, is from a plumbing issue. Apparently, that has been dripping for a while. She has an open top silverware container that she stores "hair-stuff" in, and some of the bobby-pins have already rusted and it was wet in the compartments. So, it's been wet for a few weeks. That may be nothing than a loose connection in the lines, or a bad crimp in the PEX plumbing. I have full faith and confidence with Heartland and there may be just a few of the slides that have developed this issue.
Stay-tuned for other possible solutions.

sealman

We had the same issue of the bedroom slide leaking on the closet side.....Yup, wiper flipped the wrong way...We check it every time we open that slide, although it has not happened since.

boxcar1511

We had issues with leak on closet side. we ended up having the slide adjusted. the slide was dragging and ripped the seal,also gauged the edge trim on bottom of slide. all repaired under warranty. Dealer said that this is common on heartland's bedroom slides

flht01

I've got a small leak on the bedroom slide also, on the left inside corner. My bedroom slide operates using a cable system instead of hydraulics. I got on a step ladder during a rain and looked at all the seals for leaks. What I saw was the runoff from the top seal dripping on the cable and "wicking" thru cable, running down dripping off the lower inside pulleys. The dealer glued an extra piece of rubber on the seal hoping it would help keep water from entering where the cable goes thru the wiper. I haven't been in any rain since so I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I really think the answer is finding something that will seal the cable itself from letting the rain in.

Does anybody know of a product that would help waterproof the cables?

jonesj2

Hdrider, I have a 2009 2900MK and the same thing happend to me as well. After talking to the James Fenner at Heartland I pulled the lower rubber seal off and peaked inside where I thought the leak was at and found that there is a piece of metal in the corner that acts as a dam and water deverter (it is curved outowards). The diverter had no caulking between the wall and the piece of metal, I caulked in and have not had a problem since. It is a longshot and it is simple to remove all of the screw holding the seal inplace and checking.