Amana oven.... Glued in?

MTPockets

This morning, I notice the Amana oven has moved away from the cabinet about 1 inch. I lean against it and it slides back in place. Obviously, something is amiss. No manual in my manuals pack, so looking around I see there are four screws under the cook top, two on each side, screwed into some wood strips under the counter. Removing drawers on the side to see underneath, I see that these wood strips "had" glue on the top which was affixed to the underside of the counter. The glue was no longer holding allowing the whole oven assembly, along with the wood strips that were supposed to hold it in place, to slide out. I suppose they use glue instead of screws due to the corian countertop (faux marble), Unbelievable that the oven is actually glued in to keep it in place. Now, I've got to re-engineer to keep my oven from falling out.

MTPockets

Terry,

Here's a link to several manuals - might not be the exact model you have, but is probably similar.
Thanks Dan.... This helps and confirms what I saw. The screws that hold the oven to the counter top are screwed into some wood strips per the instructions, 'but' those wood strips are simply glued to the underside of the countertop. The glue is no longer fixed and the assembly is now just sitting on the countertop, unsecure. Glue? Travel, vibration, heat from oven... Not real smart. If I'm the first to have this happen I guess I understand, but it did take 2 1/2 years. Maybe the installer was in a hurry that day, the glue can be seen as just four, nickel spots of glue on each strip instead of a bead on the entire strip. Draw your own conclusions..... ..... Just added to this post: according to this installation manual, in addition to the four screws on top there is a slot on the bottom of the trim at each side of the oven door where screws are to be installed; there were no screws ever there! No holes in the wood. These would have helped had they been installed originally.

Garypowell

MT, just so you'll know crazy glue works really well with Corion. Plus if you drilled a good pilot hole you could screw right into it.

Or or put a hole through it and bolt to a piece of wood underneath the countertop so as to make a sandwich.

MTPockets

MT, just so you'll know crazy glue works really well with Corion. Plus if you drilled a good pilot hole you could screw right into it.

Or or put a hole through it and bolt to a piece of wood underneath the countertop so as to make a sandwich.
I wonder why they didn't use screws into the corian at the factory like they do the kitchen sink ?

MTPockets

Project completed this morning (about 45 minutes). I removed the oven and discarded the wood strip that had been glued to the counter underside. Found a strip of wood 1x2 and cut 21" long pieces (approx) which I mounted vertically with screws to the inside cabinet frame. These vertical pieces I aligned where the screws held the stove in place. As an added measure, I used Elmer's wood glue. Actually better than new and I'm now A happy camper.