Bedroom TV question

Boozecamp

Our 2014 3570 bighorn is giving me fits on OTA reception. Cable works fine, Dish Satellite works fine in living room. I have the digital 'dongle' from Dish network. No reception with coax going straight to TV, nor going thru dongle to Dish receiver. Am I doing something wrong regarding the inboard coax wiring connections at the button on the coax outlet in the closet? I have no wiring diagram of this unit and everything is trail by error.

mobilcastle

You might want to start by replacing the cable wire plug connectors. I replaced almost all of mine with better quality plugs. Many on this forum have done the same.

danemayer

Hi Boozecamp,

The OTA antenna wire usually goes first to the bedroom where the signal booster is located. The signal booster must be ON for TV and OFF for cable. If you're not getting OTA reception at the signal booster location, and you're actually in an area that should get reception, you probably have a connector issue. Connectors to check would include the rooftop connection to the antenna, the connection from the rooftop cable to the signal booster, the signal booster connection to the TV.

There's also a barrel connector in the ceiling above the rotating antenna pointing control, which is sometimes loose.

All of these coax connectors are possible weak points where the crimp may be poor, or a strand of the shield could be shorting the conductor.

Careful when working on the signal booster. It's easy to short the power connection and blow the fuse.

As the signal goes through the signal booster, it's merged with the cable wiring. If the cable signal is getting to the living room TV, the wiring from bedroom to living room is ok. Once you get the TV working in the bedroom, the living room TV should also then work.

Here's a link to a drawing of the coax layout for late 2013 BH. Yours is probably very close to this.