SRW or DRW for Fulltiming

OToole

My lovely wife and I have decided to move up from our TT to a 5er and go full time. This will require upgrading from a ½ ton truck to a 1 ton. We are undecided as to a SRW or DRW. We have not decided on a 5er yet, but do have it narrowed down to a few that we like so far. We intend to keep the weight at no more than 15,500 wet which would make the pin weight approximately 3,100. We understand that we should find the 5er we like first and buy the truck accordingly. Depending on what we settle on for a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel the SRW/DRW question may be a moot point.

The first year we will likely be in “vacation mode” (although we will try to minimize that) and probably move every 2-4 weeks, maybe less. After that we would mainly spend the summers in Colorado, Montana, Idaho, etc. and the winters in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and maybe Florida. Basically, find one or two campgrounds we like to stay in for the summer and one or two for the winter.

Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of SRW vs DRW, as I see it.

SRW Advantages: Easier to park, less expensive to replace tires, more pleasant and convenient to drive as a daily driver when seeing the local sights.

SRW Disadvantages: Limited on tow capacity.

DRW Advantages: Tow capacity is not an issue.

DRW Disadvantages: More difficult to park, more expensive to replace tires, not a convenient daily driver to see the local sights.

So my questions are:

Is anyone full timing with an SRW within the weight class stated above?

Do you wish you had gone with a DRW?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages not stated above?

Is fuel mileage any different between an SRW and DRW?

My tow vehicle of choice at this point is a 2014 RAM 3500, CC, 8’ bed, 4x4, Cummins in either SRW or DRW. I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet and would consider other options.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

Tallyrver

When we bought our Gateway the salesman was trying to sell us a F250 SRW they had all setup and ready to go. He said it would tow it fine...well,I hooked her up and off we went...I don't know it the truck had suspension issues ,but the fifth wheel was all over the place. I found a F350 DRW and it tows wonderfully .

Wayne

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have a full size bed, a DRW is no harder to park than a SRW. Much simpler if you learn to back into a parking space, unless it's a tree-hugger lot marked for compact cars only. While I don't " full time," my DRW is my daily driver.

MTPockets

Well, we were exactly where you are now a few years ago and talked myself into the SRW for the reasons you mentioned. After the first season which we had no problems, except after visiting the scales I was 600 lbs light on payload and I still wanted to add an auxiliary fuel tank. We traded for our current DRW and those cons you mention are just not an issue after learning to handle the DRW in all situations. I've never felt restricted, and better yet, I feel proud to be the one on the road with those extra wheels.

pegmikef

t
If you have a full size bed, a DRW is no harder to park than a SRW. Much simpler if you learn to back into a parking space, unless it's a tree-hugger lot marked for compact cars only. While I don't " full time," my DRW is my daily driver.

Yeah in fact for parking it is usually the longer bed that is problematic with regard to space size . . . but I would not give up either my long bed or the DRW. It only took a day or so around town to get used to the additional width. As to towing, I think it tows my fiver much better than my F250 towed my TT. My towing gas mileage is about the same in the DRW as it was in the SRW even though the fiver is considerably heavier than my TT was.

ramdually4100king

I full time and currently only have a DRW mega dodge and a motorcycle. I drive the motorcycle to work and DW drives the truck as a daily driver in San Diego. The only difference in driving a SRW vs DRW is where, and how many spaces you take up in a parking lot.

Also an advantage to a DRW is stability while towing. I went from a 2500 SRW where in mid-west wind I would get blown all over the road to a 3500 DRW and I still feel it but I don't feel like I am going to tip over at every gust.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

danemayer

We're towing a 16,000 GVWR Landmark with a 2011 GMC 3500 Crewcab, longbed SRW. Payload is 4,100 lbs and towing capacity is 16,700. Pulls great and is very stable.

The big difference in specs when you go to DRW is the payload goes way up. Often the towing capacity also goes up a bunch. Most people say it's way more stable.

Birchwood

Just don't exceed the trucks GVWR that is stamped on the drivers side door sill.If you have a pin weight of 3100 lbs just add the trucks total weight(fuel ,passengers,hitch,cargo,full tank of fuel,dry weight of truck).Basically match your truck to the 3100 lb pin weight.If you have an accident and you are overloaded who know what might happen.Wish I could get by with a SRW but I would be overloaded and besides other drives get out of your way when you have a dually

alethaj

Right now we pull a 42' Voltage toy hauler with our 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 dulley desiel...by the end of this week we will be pulling a 2015 Big Horn 3755FL ...the new unit is smaller and weighs less than the Voltage so we anticipate no problems..we haven't had any issues with our truck pulling the heaver load and we look forward to maybe a bit better milage return with the lighter unit...we use the truck as our everyday vehicle as well..good luck with what ever you choose..Happy trails to you...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Consider the 5ver you purchase-- will it be your last? Or could it be the first, with others to follow? A dually might handle your "NEXT" 5ver, while a SRW might not. Better to have more truck then you need than not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

I went with a dually and I am happy with it-you get use to it quickly. We will fulltime soon. I had a SRW on my last truck which towed a 10K SOB 5ver just fine. Changed to dually before I bought my signature unit which GWR is 16K. You will have to make the call since you will pull the trigger.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I drive my 3500 DRW L/B every day with no parking issues. I'm sure Ford and Dodge are the same. If the mirrors (in the retracted position) fit through the hole...so does the 1/4 fenders. Nothing moves in strong crosswinds. BTW, DW is a trucking momma....she loves driving it and it still has all the mirrors and 1/4 fenders. I my view, you will not be sorry with a DRW. You did not mention 4WD as an option.....love mine and would never be without it again.

whp4262

I've been driving a dually 4x4 L/B for the last 9 years as a daily driver and never scraped a fender or mirror. Just replaced my Dodge at 260,000 miles with a dually Duramax and was surprised at how nice the new chevy handles and rides. I think it's easier to back into a parking spot then it is to back out of one so that's what I usually do and highway driving is no problem at all. I've towed and hauled loads with both SRW and DRW trucks for several years and I like the stability of the duals much better. Duals might drop your gas mileage 1 or 2 miles per gallon running empty.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I take mine through a covered drive up ATM on a regular basis. Just watch the yellow posts in the mirror and no problems. Like he said, if the mirrors fit, the keister will.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Speaking from experience. We pulled our previous Landmark (16000 lbs) with a '99 F350 SRW 7.3 diesel. When the truck quit we replaced it with a 2010 F350 Dually FX4 6.4 diesel. Both had long beds. The stability with the dually was much much better. We now have the 2012 F350 Dually FX4 6.7 diesel long bed and love it. All have been daily drivers and the only parking problems we experience is the smaller parking spots most parking lots have. Which causes us to park a little farther out in the parking lot, but the doctor likes it because it forces us to walk a little more :). None of the F350s have had issues with towing except the SRW is slightly squirrelly in a cross wind. The dually is much more stable. BTW is you check the figures the DRW actually has a LOWER tow rating than the SRW due to the added weight of the dually.

Gaffer

Pick your 5th wheel first then the truck. If you get a 5er that will work with the SRW, then go with that. You will thank yourself at every parking lot.

OToole

Thanks for the replies. It just so happens I was at Home Depot the other day when a guy was getting into a 14 RAM CC Long Bed dually with a B&W hitch. We had a long conversation. When it comes time to pull the trigger it will be on a dually. I will probably wait for the 2015s to hit the lots and start shopping for a 2014, unless the 15s have something I can't live without.

Kiltedpig

If the 5er brakes go out do you want 6 tires on the TV braking or 4? Pulling a 5er is not a problem, stopping one is, especially out west where there are some long steep downhill runs.

Gaffer

I have no problem going down a 6%+ grade with my exhaust brake on and never touching my service brakes. I have over 100,000 miles on the brakes due to exhaust brake usage prolonging brake life.
If the 5er brakes go out do you want 6 tires on the TV braking or 4? Pulling a 5er is not a problem, stopping one is, especially out west where there are some long steep downhill runs.