Taking my Heartland Edge to Canada and Alaska in June - Advice and suggestions?

evolvingpowercat

I am going to Canadian Rockies and Alaska on a 58 day Adventure Caravan in June. Please share any "suggestions" or "lessons learned" or "don't miss this place" advice. Much appreciated.

Tow vehicle: 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8, 75,000 miles - - new tires, taking full size spare tire and wheel, spare belts. Covering headlights and around edges of winshield with clear plastic. Has mud flaps on all 4 wheel wells already.

Towing: 2011 Heartland Edge M21, with 4 one year old Maxxis tires and 1 4 year old never used OEM towmax spare tire.

Edge has fiberglass front cap, should I cover bottom gelcoat of that with plastic too? Anything under the Edge I should think about protecting?

Thanks,

camr

We enjoyed our M-22 while being pulled with a Buick Enclave, so I think we are within the same towing ballpark. The one item that I would stongly suggest is an auxiliary transmission cooler for the TV. Any transmission shop should be able to install one. A second spare wouldn't hurt, and make sure you have a jack that can properly lift, and a wheel lug wrench that fits should you need it. Try whatever jack you have in your driveway before leaving. The one luxury I would suggest, if it is not already installed is a power front jack. Also check to make sure that the inside edges of the wheel liner tubs are caulked to prevent road spray from entering the inside of the coach. I'm sure you will have many thousand miles of great camping ahead of you. We found our Edge trouble free.

evolvingpowercat

Thanks for all the suggestions. I too have found my 2011 Edge M21 to be trouble free after I read all the Edge forum lessons learned posts after buying my Edge and doing DIY changes to resolve them.

dbbls59

One piece of advise I can give you is to slow waay down when you meet a vehicle while on the gravel. It isn't the speed of the vehicle you are meeting that caused rocks to hit hard, it is your speed. Also, watch the white line along the shoulder. When you see that it is wavy, slow down because those are frost heaves that will make you airborne. Take it slow and enjoy the scenery.

aatauses

You will have a great trip----drive slow and enjoy it. One item you may?? wan to consider is a product called road wrap---it will protect your rv near the bottom--just put it on and every 8-10 days replace it.
al
currently in Deadwood, SD