How do you use your Toy Hauler?

2TrakR

How do you use your Toy Hauler and how do you see others doing so? Mainly referring to 5th wheel rigs since they are more likely to be setup with a separate garage, but welcome the info from any style of TH.

We use the garage for hauling the dirt bikes, quads, bicycles, kayaks and whatever else the trip demands. The garage is not living space. We never put those two beds down in the back. Never set up the table in there. We always have some of the machines in there, even when all of us are out riding.

Ours is the Cyclone 3950 model with the separate twin beds in the loft. Excellent setup for our two kids.

I've been looking at new toy haulers and I swear they are more and more not setup for camping and hauling stuff. Seems that the garage is more living space than hauling space. From the floor plans, I can't find one like ours with the separate beds in the loft, they all seem to want you to use the garage as living space and those beds are where the kids are supposed to be (in the "stinky" garage).

At night, all of our machines go back in the garage, why leave them out in the elements (and have to fiddle with chaining them up) when there's a nice enclosed garage right there.

So, do you use the garage as living space, is that one of the items that were important to you?
Is the garage bathroom used much? Ours would be way better served as pure closet space. Perhaps if it were on the door side and the fridge was on the other, then the kids would use it instead of the master. We do use the 2nd fridge a lot, much more than I originally expected.

Some (most?) of the new models have fireplaces. When we camp, we have campfires. Difficult to see the need for an indoor fireplace.

Some of the new models have limited "high top" table seating, sort of sports-bar-esque. Is this really the high-demand setup folks are looking for? It's not in our group nor do I see it where we camp. We definitely could be out of the loop and not have a clue.

That's not to say I don't see the value in offering these options, but really seems like all of the [new] models have some/most of these features instead of the ones important to families hauling their toys to camping locations.

I'm starting to get concerned that we will not be able to find a new model with the features we want.

PS - not a Heartland specific "issue", most all of the other brands we've considered are doing this "whizbang" feature that isn't what the core market desires (sorry for sounding so self-centered).

OBX_Raineys

We actually sold our Raptor TH and bought a Sundance because we weren't using the TH feature. Had hopes of taking the ATV when we went camping but that didn't pan out. We had two queen beds in the rear. Took the top one out (no kids) and the bottom one was also a U-shaped dinette. That actually worked well and became the TV area since it is so dark. Front was open in the center, no fireplace. Really enjoyed the TH overall, but the traditional 5th wheel floor plan we have now makes a lot more sense.

alethaj

We are trading in a 2013 Voltage toy hauler this week for a Big Horn 3755 FL....we carried a golf cart with us in the garage and when we were parked and unloaded we used the garage as a living room and with company a second bedroom....we also had a drop down patio off the back and used that alot..was nice backing into a lake spot and sitting on the patio and enjoying the views..we are in our 60's so the motor bikes and atv's are in our past..lol...we decided that unit was a little too big for just the 2 of us so we are looking forward to the new unit..

scottyb

I use my garage to haul a Kawasaki Mule 4x4 Trans and a full size Weber gas grill. When I am set up at camp (or at a boat race), it becomes a mud room for muddy shoes and wet clothes, a buffet serving room, and a doggy day care. At home, it becomes an overflow storage room. I have yet to use the picnic benches or either of the two bunk beds in the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 56

Lynn1130

Ours is used to haul quads to where ever we might be going be it camping and quad riding, or hunting. I never store quads in the back as I do not want the gas smell in the back after they are out. When it is just the two of us we set up the table in the back so that we can lower the ramp, pull the screen down and enjoy the outdoors while relaxing or eating. When camping we have anywhere from 6 to 15 family members in and out of camp over the 10 days or more during the family camp. The beds come down and it becomes a bedroom, or play room for the grand kids when it is wet outside. When hunting, the garage becomes sleeping room for my grandson and son-in-law. We get full use out of the garage and extra sleeping space. That is the main reason that we bought what we did.

whp4262

One of the reasons we bought our 3914 was because of the 14 ft garage. We can get our 4 ATVs in the back when we want to go trail riding or my Goldwing, Kayaks etc. Just depends on what we want to do and where we are going. The garage also serves as extra living/storage space once we get setup, suites our needs much better than the motorhome did.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I use mine for hauling my GoldWing and in the future I hope to add a golf cart to the mix - When I arrive the Bike comes out and the space is then used as addtional living/working space. I am in the process of designing a fold down desk with space for two 24in LCD screens between the bunks and the Glass wall. I also use the two beds often as that is where my two kids and their husban/wife sleep when they Join me for a camp trip and they do not want to sleep in a tent ( they often prefer tenting - their young yet ) or it can not be set up where we are. I never use the space for eating or sitting - just not needed yet - when the grand kids get here ( if they ever do ) then they will most likely end up on the bottom bunk or on the couch ... depending on how many adults we have on any given trip.

I've only a 10ft garage so that space get's used ... most of my tools are stored in the beaver tail storage as well...

Kevin

Mizmary

We have a motorcycle that can go in the garage when we are traveling. But we are a part of the problem for you. We use it as a bedroom for the kids. It's a better feel than a bunk house model. It's great to have so much room for the kids since we full time.

ILH

We purchased ours so that we can get our son's wheelchair in and out of the rv. We use the table, patio and bed setup every day.

DocFather

I was single when I bought the 4100. I still am, though I do have a great g/f. I use the garage as a garage. I do not use the beds, or the table, and I had the Dealer remove the porch and hardware when I took delivery last July. I haul 2 kayaks and a 950# Harley Ultra CVO, 110 year Anniv. issue. The half-bath is nice, but i really do not need it. The elec. fireplace is awesome when the RV park fees include electricity already (remember, if the furnace is not used ya need a way to keep the water from freezing.

priorguy

I'd eventually like to upgrade to a TH. With two kids and DW there could be anything from dirt bikes or quads to who knows what. The kids would sleep there and if other family shows up the additional space would be handy.

Typically we eat outdoors when camping and setup the fire there as well.

The boys fight over the top bunk as it is so a loft space would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

szewczyk_john

We use the garage all the time for living space when set up at a camp ground. The garage was part of the floor plan that I liked the most. Room to haul either or both of my Victory motorcycles and then the garage became a bedroom for the 2 boys to use. It gave them a room of their own instead of taking over the living room which is what happened when we had the S.O.B. travel trailer. Since we got it my wife loves setting up the dinette in the garage. We have used it more as living space than for hauling so far but as the kids get older, we find ourselves getting closer to the trips that we be just me and the DW. That is when I can see us taking one of the bikes on every trip.

I do agree that too many trailers are designed without a family with kids in mind. We looked at replacing our trailer for about 6 years before we found our current model.

BruteForce

We use our TH and garage to haul 3x ATV's. We do occasionally use the two drop-down beds when we have guests. We keep a roll-up carpet in the garage so we can quickly vacuum up the ATV dirt and make it somewhat presentable. We use the rear toilet all the time.

Miltp920

We bought ours to haul the golf cart and ATVs. However, once we unload, the garage becomes living space - dining room. My wife calls it her girl cave. She sets up her computer and plays farmville. I get the couch and the TV remote. ATV lock feature is nice for outside storage. Cant beat the extra beds for surprise guests, or grandkids.

Stinger381

I would love to swap to a TH as I have lots of toys that I would love to travel with me.. I need sleep space for my two boys that are college aged now. I want one with a loft bed so that if it is just one boy we don't use the garage for sleep space. I fully expect to use the garage as living space too. Just maybe not sleep space all the time. Right now I have a Sundance with the rear loft and the boys love the rear room for hang out space. They can shut the door and play the PS3 undisturbed and sleep in late. I would want the same option to be available in a TH as well. We also use the camper during hunting season and there might be 5 or 6 grown men crashing in there at night and the rear bunks in TH would be great.

Heathcote4

We love our RW390 because of the room. My rig stays at the deer lease during season so the ATV is stored. We don't take it with us camping due to gas powered restrictions. Forcing us to look into getting a golf cart ;). We just ordered a carpet for the garage and will be camping with another family in two weeks. Maybe my girls will use the bunks if it doesn't look so "dirty". They are their mothers daughters. Very versatile rig. We unload the garage and set up at camp. My favorite spot is the back patio overlooking the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltp920

YOU need a toyhauler!

QUOTE=Stinger381;365170]I would love to swap to a TH as I have lots of toys that I would love to travel with me.. I need sleep space for my two boys that are college aged now. I want one with a loft bed so that if it is just one boy we don't use the garage for sleep space. I fully expect to use the garage as living space too. Just maybe not sleep space all the time. Right now I have a Sundance with the rear loft and the boys love the rear room for hang out space. They can shut the door and play the PS3 undisturbed and sleep in late. I would want the same option to be available in a TH as well. We also use the camper during hunting season and there might be 5 or 6 grown men crashing in there at night and the rear bunks in TH would be great.[/QUOTE]

chiefneon

Howdy!

We fulltime and recently purchased our Cyclone 4000 to replace our 36' 5er with a Idaho Tote attached to it that carried our Smart car. We use the hauler area as living space mostly dinining, and also like the patio area for our pets. The hauler area is used to carry the Smart Car. We decided from the gitgo not to junk up the hauler area kind of like most people that own a house with a garge thats so full of stuff they can not park a car in it if they wanted to, also seen this with other toy hauler folks.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Heathcote4

Howdy!

We fulltime and recently purchased our Cyclone 4000 to replace our 36' 5er with a Idaho Tote attached to it that carried our Smart car. We use the hauler area as living space mostly dinining, and also like the patio area for our pets. The hauler area is used to carry the Smart Car. We decided from the gitgo not to junk up the hauler area kind of like most people that own a house with a garge thats so full of stuff they can not park a car in it if they wanted to, also seen this with other toy hauler folks.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

LOL!

What does a Smart Car weigh?

That's awesome!

Josh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chiefneon

LOL!

What does a Smart Car weigh?

That's awesome!

Josh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howdy!

Josh, the Smart Car weights in at 1700 lbs. Much easier to get around in the Smart Car than the MDT and it gets much better fuel mileage.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon