Inflating High Pressure Tires

Georgia_Biker

I am not sure where to put this thread but, here goes:

The story is very long but, I finally have installed a set of NEW Good Year G614 Heavy Duty 5th Wheel Tires on our BH- Good Bye Tow Maxx!

These big puppies take 110PSI and low and behold my little Campbell & Hausfeld "Power Pal" will not pump the tires to 110. It was fine for the 80# Tow Maxx tires. I had to stop at a truck stop near home to get proper inflation.

I am not sure what direction to go has anyone had this problem.

Thanks

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Yep, sure did. Had to buy a new compressor. I got a pancake type that I can carry in the bed of the truck and it will inflate to 150 psi. Like you, my old compressor would not handle the 110 psi tires.

Garypowell

Another option is Viair. They have a variety of options and mine has worked well....just expensive. They are 12 volt.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 12V Viair that will do the job, but my 3-gallon Makita air nailer compressor will too. It's rated to 125 psi, but to fill the tires, I first fill the tank until it shuts off, the pull the dump valve to restart it and connect to the valve stem. Fools it into "thinking" the tire is part of the tank.

donr827

I have a 12V Viair that will do the job, but my 3-gallon Makita air nailer compressor will too. It's rated to 125 psi, but to fill the tires, I first fill the tank until it shuts off, the pull the dump valve to restart it and connect to the valve stem. Fools it into "thinking" the tire is part of the tank.
Do the same thing. Don

Birchwood

I don't care for 12v compressors(only for my bicycle) and I don't have $250 for a Viair so I purchased a portable Craftsman 3 gal oil lube 135 psi A/C unit for $99 and carry in my basement.Does a fine job and you never blow a fuse.If I don't have A/C power I will call Good Sam roadside assistance .

Last edited:

pegmikef

Viair 450p will solve the problem.

Ditto. My viair 450p fills my tires from 100 to 110 psi faster than either of my tanked compressors. It has a 100 percent duty cycle and is good to 140 psi. I purposely bought it because it is 12 volt so I can use it almost anywhere without having to have shore or generator power or an inverter.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If i have the air nailer compressor along (usually for other maintenance) and power, it's easier than getting the Viair out of the back of the truck. But, the Viair is always there and doesn't take up a lot of space. I got a 50ft. Goodyear all-weather hose for it, rather than the flimsy 25 ft. plastic one it came with. All fits in a nice tote.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If the new tires are the same size as the tires you are replacing they should only be inflated to the psi stated on the label on the side of the RV. This insures proper wear and brake effectiveness. The number on the side of the tire is the max allowable pressure.