4100 King --- Week ONE observations

pcardoza

We've had our 4100 King for just over one week now. While there have been no major issues, the list of small bugs continues to grow.

1. No antenna for the surround system, so it is useless, except for the DVD mode. And why does is not have std. connections to play TV through the surround system? Since the Sony is located in the island, well away from the TV, adding the connection myself is hopeless.

2. Plumbing connections loose - Kitchen faucet connections, drain in half bath, drain in bath sink and dripping and very loose. Had to go around and check all connections and found many quite loose.

3. Dump levers not properly marked. Had to figure them out myself.

4. Flashing gasket around folding (inside) garage doors not secured in place and pulls out when sliding the doors open and closed. Had to run a bead of sealant to hold them properly in place.

5. Still waiting for the dealer to get hold of our central vac hose and attachments. Were missing @ PDI and ordered.

Some observations of questionable/poor design:

We have 3 AC's. There's no switch position to run the BR/LR AC units together. How strange is that? Could be a real issue once summer arrives.

The garage table is so large that it's useless for us. Getting in and out of the bench seats is for the smallest of humans. We find that using one of the LR tables in the garage is a much better option. The big table is permanently stored under the bed.

Bathroom Vent Fan is a joke. Why a Fantastic Fan was not designed into that spot is beyond me. That needs to be one of the first upgrades.

No power plugs along side the bed? Grrrrrrrr......

Overall, we are quite happy with our new baby! I just wanted to give any other new owners a hit list of things to look out for.

Best regards,
Paul

scottyb

Congrats on you new 4100. Glad that the overall experience has been good.

We have 3 AC's. There's no switch position to run the BR/LR AC units together. How strange is that? Could be a real issue once summer arrives.

This one surprises me. I thought you could run the LR with either the BR or the garage, but not the BR and garage together. There was a topic a few months back where AJ posted the factory configuration. Personally, I think it should be the users choice of which combination and how many AC's to use.

Mine has a plug along the base of the bed, at least on one side, can't remeber if it is on both.

The rest of the items do not surprise me. They seem to be typical issues for most rigs across different manufacturers. Read the IRV2 forums about some of the $400K MH's. They are aggrevating but easily fixed. Seems like you have chosen the same route as many of us, to make the minor repairs yourself rather than endure the frustration of retuning it to the dealer. A fantastic fan in the bathroom might bring in some unwanted odors when you flush the toilet. I'm not so sure the small fan doesn't do it a little.

pcardoza

I'd rather have a better Bath fan that I can shut off when on the commode, than deal with the steam-bath that I experience when taking a shower.

As for the AC switch, my limited experiments show:

BR/Garage
LR only
LR/Garage

Maybe the dealer can easily swap some wires around on the switch, to make is more logical!

Mizmary

We had the fantastic fan upgrade added when we bought the camper (all vents except the loft have fantastic fans). And Scottyb is right. If there is not a window open the odor from the tank gets sucked in. But it does a good job of getting the steam out.

Did you get a blue bag for the manuals? The antenna for the stereo is in there, maybe? We found several little things in that bag when we bought ours, including the flex screwdriver bit needed to loosen and tighten the tv mount. The stereo that is in the has been an issue of discussion on here before. We are going to remove it and have installed a sound bar above the tv to fix the issue. It isn't ideal'- but considering the issues we had with our previous SOB and dealing with manufacturers- this one is better. I hope you do get everything resolved quickly and can begin enjoying your new Cyclone!!

The plumbing issues are across the board. We had a new SOB that had similar issues. The only one we have purchased that didn't was a used one - that had already been fixed.

We have been living in ours full time with two kids for a year and after we got past the initial little things we have had no issues (knock on wood). They are good units. Congrats and enjoy !!

pcardoza

Duh!!!!!! I've been through the blue bag several times for other things and never even thought about the antenna possibly being in there! It was probably right in my hand a few times already!

Ugh...........

jimtoo

Or,,, if not in the bag.. look behind the unit, it may be plugged in.. but never unrolled and stretched out. Just still tied up.

ptysonjr

There are plugs on both sides of the bed just not up where you would think.
The lack of an option to run the living room and the bedroom AC's at the same time is a joke or at least I thought it was. After 2 months of squabling we finally got them to agree to wire these 2 AC's as if there was not a third and wire the garage to a new plug on the side of the rig so I can plug it into the power pole separately and run all three at once if needed. This eliminates the ability to run it off the onboard generator but if that important I could always borrow a small gen for a weekend.
Still makes no sense to me to not have the factory option for bed/live rm, The garage/bedroom option would be the least important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mark-Mullin

We've had our 4100 King for just over one week now. While there have been no major issues, the list of small bugs continues to grow.

1. No antenna for the surround system, so it is useless, except for the DVD mode. And why does is not have std. connections to play TV through the surround system? Since the Sony is located in the island, well away from the TV, adding the connection myself is hopeless.

2. Plumbing connections loose - Kitchen faucet connections, drain in half bath, drain in bath sink and dripping and very loose. Had to go around and check all connections and found many quite loose.

3. Dump levers not properly marked. Had to figure them out myself.

4. Flashing gasket around folding (inside) garage doors not secured in place and pulls out when sliding the doors open and closed. Had to run a bead of sealant to hold them properly in place.

5. Still waiting for the dealer to get hold of our central vac hose and attachments. Were missing @ PDI and ordered.

Some observations of questionable/poor design:

The garage table is so large that it's useless for us. Getting in and out of the bench seats is for the smallest of humans. We find that using one of the LR tables in the garage is a much better option. The big table is permanently stored under the bed.

Bathroom Vent Fan is a joke. Why a Fantastic Fan was not designed into that spot is beyond me. That needs to be one of the first upgrades.

Overall, we are quite happy with our new baby! I just wanted to give any other new owners a hit list of things to look out for.

Best regards,
Paul

Shouldn't all of the first five been done by the dealer on the PDI that we all pay good money for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DocFather

Your questions are all too familiar and common. The Sony system is a joke and a waste. I have no issues with the Bathroom ceiling vent. There are receptacles on both sides of the bed storage box near the feet end. Waste levers are not marked at all on mine. Good luck

scottyb

Since I have never seen the 3 AC switch or it's location, can someone comment about where is it located? Someone on an earlier thread mentioned possibly utilizing the 20A breaker dedicated for the W/D, to run one of the AC's, and eliminate the switch altogether. Maybe it's not that simple, but I bet it is doable.

Beemer

The switch on mine is located immediately under the control panel. It is a white "light switch", except it is a 3'position switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pcardoza

Oh jeez! Now I'm beginning to feel like a bloody noob! Both the wife and I have been working a poking around that bed for days and neither of us noticed the power outlets on the side of the bed!

I agree on the AC switching configuration. Our tech is coming out to take care of the few small issues and drop off the missing items. I plan to press him on this. Once summer hits, I think the LR/BR combo of Ac's running is going to be very important!!!

There are plugs on both sides of the bed just not up where you would think.
The lack of an option to run the living room and the bedroom AC's at the same time is a joke or at least I thought it was. After 2 months of squabling we finally got them to agree to wire these 2 AC's as if there was not a third and wire the garage to a new plug on the side of the rig so I can plug it into the power pole separately and run all three at once if needed. This eliminates the ability to run it off the onboard generator but if that important I could always borrow a small gen for a weekend.
Still makes no sense to me to not have the factory option for bed/live rm, The garage/bedroom option would be the least important.

DocFather

Oh jeez! Now I'm beginning to feel like a bloody noob! Both the wife and I have been working a poking around that bed for days and neither of us noticed the power outlets on the side of the bed!

Don't feel bad - it took me 2 months to find mine. I even rn an extension cord through the closets to the head area of the bed. LOL

scottyb

The switch on mine is located immediately under the control panel. It is a white "light switch", except it is a 3'position switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So it sounds like an easy fix to bypass the switch and run the 3rd AC off the spare 20A breaker, unless you are already using it for a W/D.

Mizmary

Don't feel bad - it took me 2 months to find mine. I even rn an extension cord through the closets to the head area of the bed. LOL

It took us quite a bit too. It's dark in that room and the plugs are dark too!! That's why we are here! 😜

dave10a

Shouldn't all of the first five been done by the dealer on the PDI that we all pay good money for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I disagree, they are manufacturer issues. It is amazing how many want to forgive Heartland for problems that are clearly the fault of the manufacturer-- especially QC issues that should have been corrected before delivery to the dealer-- especially when Heartland has so little influence on the dealers.

ptysonjr

Since I have never seen the 3 AC switch or it's location, can someone comment about where is it located? Someone on an earlier thread mentioned possibly utilizing the 20A breaker dedicated for the W/D, to run one of the AC's, and eliminate the switch altogether. Maybe it's not that simple, but I bet it is doable.

It is a 3 way light switch under the main control door.

The direct wire of 1 unit is definitely doable and has been done. They are doing mine right now.

ptysonjr

So it sounds like an easy fix to bypass the switch and run the 3rd AC off the spare 20A breaker, unless you are already using it for a W/D.

You don't have to use a breaker inside your panel. They can direct wire it to a new plug on the side of the coach so you can plug it into the 20 amp plug on the pole which has a breaker already.
You just run a heavy cord to the pole.

pcardoza

I really don't want to run all 3 at once, though that would be an added bonus. What I really want is the option to run the combination of the Living Room and Bedroom units together.

gunnere7

On my 3800 the living room was dedicated ON all the time. The switch made me choose the bed or garage. I think I am smart enough to know not to run all 3 on the generator so I did a mod. I added a new 20 amp breaker in the panel and removed the switch. I ran all the wires from the breakers to the switch handy box and made it a tie point. Now all I have is a blank cover plate where the switch was. Checked the amp draw on both legs of the 50 amp and verified that it is fairly balanced with all 3 on. Very simple to do and works great.