Truck diesel

HornedToad

On the way home last night I had to skirt some storms. Stopped for fuel in a small town where I couldn't get in up front so I pulled around to the big rig island.

On my receipt I noticed it read "Truck Diesel" as compared to the low sulfur diesel up front.

Does "Truck diesel" have any ill effects on the new Ford 6.7 engines?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that if you got #2 diesel it is ULSD.
I doubt that #1 is available in Texas.
You should be fine.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the exception of the dyed OTR diesel, I think they're all low sulfur now. Even the dyed stuff is, it's colored red to show it's the lower tax fuel for construction and farm use. Get caught filling your POV with it and there is a fine.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Sulphur content will be the same. I would guess they just label it that way for expense/tax purposes for drivers.

wdk450

When I have used a "truck" pump the only difference I noticed was that the flow rate was about 5 times faster than a "regular" diesel pump.

scottyb

It's all ULSD. Even before off road diesel had to be ULSD, the suppliers were only supplying ULSD because it was too much trouble to stock both.

123camper

Isn't the dyed stuff for off road use only such as for farming? I think the truckers use the same stuff everyone else does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Isn't the dyed stuff for off road use only such as for farming? I think the truckers use the same stuff everyone else does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's my understanding that it's for heavy construction equipment, as well as farm use. The trucks hauling the construction gear still use the regular diesel. But I've been misinformed before.

HornedToad

The labeling on the receipt/pump raised the question, up front the pumps are clearly mark "Low Sulfur", with no mention on the truck pumps.

Since this is my first diesel...
(not counting my 1980's Isuzu P'UP... that's why it took me so long to buy another one)
I thought I better ask.

If it's all the same stuff I think I'll start using the truck island more often. It was easier to pull in and pumped a lot faster.

B

BouseBill

I do believe it is all the same stuff, comes from the the same tank...just taxed differently. Some larger stations are now providing separate RV islands which should be taxed as regular vehicles not OTR trucks.
I have used and still use the truck islands just for the ease of use and faster filling. a few cents more is worth the benefit IMHO.

Bill

scottyb

It's my understanding that it's for heavy construction equipment, as well as farm use. The trucks hauling the construction gear still use the regular diesel. But I've been misinformed before.

Off road diesel is dyed red but it is still ULSD and it can not be used on any public roadway. It is governed by your state's taxing authority and the IRS, and they have different interpretaions of what it can be used for. Our state's comptroller says "any unregistered vehicle working exclusively off roads". The IRS says, "No vehicle that was manufactured to operate on the road". Don't ask me how I know this.

JohnDar

Around home, I used to use a station that has truck islands (near a freeway). When it was BP, it's prices weren't bad. Shell took it over and now you'd expect some candy and flowers after you pay for it. I use "GasBuddy" to shop around. Sometimes there's as much as a 30-cent difference without going too far. Worth it, even if the pump is a bit slower.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Ditto 2 on Gasbuddy. However I try to find stations with the smaller nozzle to reduce the foaming. The big truck nozzles fill so fast the tank us only 3/4 full after the foams gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocFather

Ditto 2 on Gasbuddy. However I try to find stations with the smaller nozzle to reduce the foaming. The big truck nozzles fill so fast the tank us only 3/4 full after the foams gone.

I don't get foam with the bigger nozzles. Are ya sure you didn't mean beer?

JohnDar

Never had a problem with foam, but the shut-off doesn't always react fast enough and you end up having diesel all over the side (or you). But, I've been showered using the truck pump when filling up fire trucks, too, for the same reason.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I fill up all the time at the truck island and it's exactly the same. Some of the truck stops get excited when I don't have a truck number but I send my wife in with a credit card and all is well. And it doesn't take long to fill up with those big nozzles either.

Seren

I haven't used the truck pumps yet, but haven't been on the road yet, will in a few more weeks when our house closes and we start fulltiming. Another newbie question: when you use the truck pumps, do you give your credit card before pumping, or do you pump first then pull up and pay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD