My Dilemma

MTPockets

Re: My delima

Many States, maybe all, have similar regulations. We're out of Florida much more than we're in FL, but in our case, no one State for more than 2 - 3 months. Our permanent address is a FL address. I believe your situation would require a GA address if the plan is to stay in one spot over 6 months. A few years ago we knew people with Indiana license plates staying in a Michigan park several months. Local officials somehow identified them and forced them to license and pay vehicle tax in Michigan. If you move around, you would probably get away with the FL address.

Bohemian

Federal law and the federal courts trump state law.Federal law says that if you have established residency and then leave your town and state of residence for the purpose of long term travel, keeping no other permanent address and residence in any other place, you may keep your previous existing town and state of residence for all purposes including voting and taxes. This is regardless of what any states or town says or any state or town laws.South Dakota is a popular place to establish residence if you want to establish a different residence. You can establish residence in SD by filing a form that says that you have no other legal residence. At some other later time you must visit SD for a short period.We had a friend challenged by the state of FL on their residency in FL because they used a mailing service to receive all mail and had it forwarded to NY. FL says you must be in FL for a minimum of 6 months per year to be a resident. They beat that easily by simply stating they were residents and were in FL at least 6 m per year.Basically, the states may not make you homeless without a legal state and town of residency and you get to choose among your legal options. Stay put or move. It's up to you. If you want legal residence in GA, move. If not, you may stay put. Or, move to SD or TX and avoid taxes.

BamaMan

If you look closely, you'll find that about a third of all license plates in the North Georgia mountains are from Florida. Yes, we've finally figured out where Floridians go on vacation.

If you change to Georgia drivers' license, etc., you'll be liable for Georgia State Income Taxes and ad valorem taxes on your RV.

Just do like thousands of full timers do, and keep your Florida drivers licenses, license plates. And don't think about moving your personal business outside of Florida.

I keep my RV in Helen, GA, but my residence is in Alabama. Alabama's so much kinder to its citizens taxwise.