Should I Buy From RVPriceBusters.com?

GaryB

Hi: Well I'm just about ready to pull the trigger this week and order a Big Horn 3055RL from RVPriceBusters.com. I gave my local dealer his best shot (twice). After factoring in the cost of fuel to drive there/back, my local dealer still won't come any closer than $1500 to RVPriceBusters.

So barring freezing up (me, that is!), I will finally do it (am rather nervous since I'm a newbie, am buying out of town and don't even know how much I'll like RVing). Anyway, they are giving me a killer deal. So if I find RVing isn't for me, I figure I can sell the unit in 1-2 years and hopefully only lose $5000 or so (plus tax).

I do have a few last questions:

1) I've read on this forum and RV.net about RVPriceBusters.com. The consensus seems to be they are great to work with, although their service leaves something to be desired. Is this still the consensus from people who've bought there recently? I live 300 miles away and so they won't be my routine service shop anyway.

2) Would you trust RVPriceBusters to install a hitch in a new 2008 F350, or is their service shop THAT bad? They (Brent Hoffman) offered to install it free of charge (I'll buy it and take it there). I may get a 16K Reese slider.

BTW: Can I wait to install a spray-in bedliner until later and after the hitch is installed (so I know that I will like RVing and, thus, keep the truck)?

3) Just wondering, for $1500 difference, how many people would still buy locally? I gave my local dealer the opportunity to make up some of the difference with some free installation, free annual service, etc. But he won't budge any more.

Thanks!
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Gary,

Congratulations - you have your finger on the trigger now. You're so close :eek:

Most people spray the bed liner before installing the hitch. Because most of your hitch (Turnover Ball) will be under the truck, it may work out fine for you to do the liner later.

Thanks for leaving trailer prices out of your post. For $1.5k of difference, I'd weigh the value of local service from your local dealer as it sure would be nice to count on.

Jim

On edit: Okay, my bad. Thought you were getting the turnover ball. In the case of a hitch with bed rails that mount on top of your truck's bed floor, I'd spray in the liner first.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Fuel cost

Gary, you might consider the cost of fuel in the deal. 2 or 3 trips back for warrenty work, both ways. And the dealer that you did not buy from could make it hard to have stuff repaired at his place. A good deal is not always in your best interest. Grind on him a little more. Good luck on your decision. Bob

GaryB

Thanks for the replies thus far. I forgot to mention -- If necessary, I also have an independent RV repair shop in town. They used to be a Jayco dealer (still are authorized Jayco service shop). Although they no longer sell units, they service units of all brands. They have agreed to do my warranty service work if necessary, pending approval from HL of course (I hear HL is good to work with). As I understand, about the only negative is that, in some cases, I may need to pay up front for the warranty repair pending reimbursement from HL.

There's something about paying my local HL dealer $1500 more for the exact same thing that bugs me. Also, the service manager at my local HL dealer told me they don't bump non-customers to the end of the line (they operate strictly by appointment, except for emergency transients). Not sure if his tune will change later or not. They are a "Rt. 66" dealer, whatever that means with regards to service (not sure if that only applies to transient customers).

Gary

Last edited:

DennisZ

Gary
I bought my unit from a dealer out of my area, and saved a lot of money. If a local dealer had come within $1500 of the other dealer I would have been happy to buy from them and told them so, but the difference was well over 3 times that amount. In MHO, it would be worth the $1500 to have a good service center nearby. You can check to see if others are happy with their service by asking for referals or you can check this link http://www.rvservicereviews.com to see if they are listed.

Good Luck

Dennis

linuxkidd

My Landmark came from Brent at RVPricebusters. Great deal... In my instance, they were the closest Heartland dealer to me ( not by mileage exactly... But, they were along a route I travel frequently.. So, that made them close for me. )

I don't have a TV yet, but the delivery driver that brought my Landmark home had his hitch installed by BestBuy RVs (Which is the retail store side of RVPricebusters, and who will be doing the install ). My unit and the driver's hitch were both done at the Springfield store. I can't stress enough of how willing they (Brent and BestBuyRV's ) were to address every single issue I had before we pulled out.

With my situation, I had actually stopped in to look at the Landmark and went ahead with my own inspection to see what would need to be fixed prior to delivery. Even before I put any $$ down, they were already interested in my list, and started working to correct the issues immediately. They had it ready for pickup the following weekend. Absolutely great experience all around.

For warranty service, you are indeed correct that you can have it done locally. From my experience with Heartland, just call Heartland's Service line, explain the problem and let them know your positional issues (if the local place isn't a Heartland dealer / service center ), and they will work out billing directly with them. No $$ Out of your pocket.

If you do have a local Heartland service shop.. Even better. Especially since they've told you that units purchased elsewhere are not frowned upon. Most service departments operate under their own financial best interest separate from the dealership. So, they don't care where the coach came from... $ is $. Also, I would think that if their tune would be different on this, they would have told you up front as an extra incentive to buy from them... "Common, you get head of line privileges.. ".. :)

I wish you the best of luck in your coming travels... Hope this info has been helpful.

LK

P.S. Tell Brent that Michael Kidd says hello!

snuffy

From what I understand just hearing a dealer that I trust, warranty work is not much of a money maker and mostly a hassle at times. That is from another brand but I think is mostly true of all.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
GaryB
I can tell you from our experience that the Best Buy RVs service and sales departments are awesome. We bought our Bighorn from them and they have made Linda and I very happy customers.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have to agree about their sales department...GREAT! However, their service leaves alot to be desired. Had some work done that was not warranty, i.e, install w/d, satellite dome, etc. Paid good money and then had to re-do everything they did their work was so shoddy. Would never take my unit back their for service...but would consider buying from them again.

linuxkidd

I think we should identify which location we've dealt with as well as when the service was done.. Things may be different between the two local's, or things may have changed over time..

I've only dealt with the Springfield, OH location and had nothing but great things. My last time up there was December 15th, 2007.

LK

fishn2dmax

I would think long and hard about traveling 1000's of :)miles for a $1500 Net savings! I traveled 320 miles to save $2000 Net from a different dealer. Honestly, if I had to do it again I'm not sure I wouldn't just spend the extra money for a local dealer ( as much as that hurts to think about). Here are the reasons why I think $1500 more may be justified by a local dealer:

1, A local dealer is more likely going to be there for you when you have a problem(s). Local dealer creates a relationship for other things you may need to have done on your TV or coach in the future.

2, A local dealer has to pay overhead, Service, Marketing and advertising, Inventory carry cost that the high volume Internet dealer doesn't incur since its likely they will never see you again.

3, Stuff happens!!! You will have a need to have Warranty issues resolved if if they're minor. If there are Major issues, you want a local dealer behind you.

4, Traveling 1000's of miles on your first experience with a 5'er is not without its risks and challenges for a new 5'er owner. Buying local allows you to take smaller steps.
5, In my case, even 320 miles has ended up more like 1200 since I have had to go back and forth to this dealer for warranty work. Our local dealer in town has had it clear while they can't technically refuse to work on my trailer, it sounded as if they sure were not going to make it easy, nor on my schedule - Their buying customers come first.

After all said and done, If I were to do it again for just a $1500 Net savings, I would buy from a local dealer. :)

grizzlygiant

I traveled 2200 miles (each way) to buy from Lakeshore RV in Michigan. Their price was a little better than Price Busters (after some "encouraging"). I saved over $10K off my local dealer price aftrer deducting all travel costs. I would not hesitate to deal with either Price Busters or Lakeland but read below.
A word of warning --at least as far as Lakeshore RV is concerned: BE VERY CARFUL before authorizing the addition of any dealer-installed equipment. They REALLY stick it to you, presumably to make up for the low profit purchase price. Get the dealer-options installed at your local shop at a better price.

cmart

Just because you have a dealer close by, don't assume his work is any better than one who will shoot you a better deal. But naturally you will have to figure in mileage on your repair work. You are doing the right thing, ask questions on this forum about how the service from one dealer to another is.

jfrench

I hate to tell you but if you sell it in 1 to 2 years you will loss alot more then 5k even if you buy it at cost and as we all know no dealer is selling units at cost because they would never keep the doors open lol