I'm new here - Considering Sundance purchase

aznewmom

Hello everyone!!!
Glad to be here. I'm super nervous, but excited..........
After years of considering everything from a cab-over to a toy hauler, it looks like we just may purchase a 5th wheel THIS WEEK.
I have never driven an RV of any type. My DH has driven a friend's toy hauler (we borrowed it once to try it out), my dad's old motorhome, and various trailers and such through the years. We have two teens and love to camp. In recent years, however, it's gotten tougher and tougher to do the 'camp on the ground and use a tent' thing. These old bones and joints just can't do it any more. :rolleyes:
I'm Stacy and we live in Tucson, AZ.

We've been to a couple of dealerships, hitting one of them twice in the last few months.
This past weekend we found a 2013 Heartland Sundance 3200RE. It looks like it's in really nice shape, has a great layout for the family, and plenty of room.
We will be using it not only for roadtrips and camping, but also for school chess tournaments and traveling for the kid's music and sport events. I think it will also work great for that, as it has a nice, open floor plan where kids can hang out on bean bag chairs or something. (Or it at least LOOKS like that would work!)

So, I have LOTS of questions:
How do you KNOW it's the RIGHT RV for you and your family?
How do you KNOW that it's priced right?
How do you KNOW that it's not been in a wreck or something?
In other words, as a first time purchaser, what all do you look for in a 5th wheel?
This particular unit looks like the stove has never even been used! It appears to be super nice, but I'm nervous about purchasing someone else's problem. KWIM?

Well, this is getting long. Sorry about that.
I'm sure I will be around as we start off on this RV adventure.
Thanks ahead of time for any help or hints!
Cheers,
Stacy

jimtoo

Re: Brand new here and considering a purchase.....

Hi Stacy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We all have different wants and taste, but it seems that when you walk in a unit, it just hits you..."this is it,, this is the one for us",,, "it will fit and we will have fun". It will just feel like it's the one for you.
And after you get it,, you can make little changes to make it even better for you and the way you use it.

As far as pricing, you might check the NADA books, to check to see if it's been wrecked, you get the VIN and call I think the state license office,,, not sure,,and call Heartland about any major warranty repairs, not sure they will give you the info,, but might.

I'm sure you will get some information from out other members also.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum and meeting you at a rally sometime.

Jim M

Garypowell

I would get the VIN code and call heartland. Ask them about the service history of the unit.

I would ask ask the dealership it's history. Will they let you talk to the previous owner. And watch their reaction when you ask these questions.

If they are a fair sized dealership go to the service waiting room and sit down and strike up a conversation with those there. You can find out a lot from people who are being serviced.

danemayer

Hi Stacy,

We looked for a long time before we found "the one." But when we saw the type of floor plan that we liked, it narrowed things down dramatically and it was a short trip from that day to the day we ordered ours.

On price for a new unit, a lot of people are looking for 25-30% off list price. Here's a link to a thread with list prices on Sundance. For a used unit with no warranty coverage, the price ought to be lower, reflecting steep early-life depreciation. 2015 models are coming off the production line now, so you might want 1-2 years of depreciation to be reflected in the price. You might also consider the cost of a good service agreement since you won't have any warranty.

People change trailers for various reasons. Sometimes they want more space or a different floor plan. Sometimes they have a change of financial circumstances. But sometimes they have one more warranty problem than they're expected and decide to get out. Why is this one on the market? You'll probably never know. But let me suggest you work with the dealer so you can stay at the dealership or nearby for several days so you can give the trailer a good workout. Ask for a written commitment that the dealer will correct anything you find wrong during the shakeout. And that they'll fix it without making you get in line for an appointment. And even before you sign papers or take delivery, give it a very close inspection.

I hope it all works out exactly the way you want. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Tundra2084

Hi and welcome. You will see in our signature we own a 2012 Sundance 3200RE and love it. Our unit was a leftover but still new when we purchased it last year. The dealership we purchased our unit from is heavily into popups and travel trailers and did not push to sell the three Sundance's he had on his lot so we got a pretty good deal on it. They no longer carry fifth wheels at this dealership but have dealt with them prior to our purchase so know they are good when it comes to warranty work.
we love our unit and have not had any major issues with it other than the expected loose connection under the bathroom sink, and all that took was a simple twist of the connection to fix it. We love the openness of the floor plan this unit offers. We did move the sofa to the opposite slide and put the recliners in its place. We did add slide toppers to all three slides as it's easier when you don't have to worry about bringing in the slides with debris or water on them.
As another has said you will know when you walk in if it's the one for you. And as the kids get older and don't want to camp with you as much it's still a very comfortable unit for just two people.

ncc1701e

Welcome, I think you will find a great group of campers on this forum. As for coaches, we are on our second Sundane and really love the line. Other models are nice, but we are very partial to the Sundance.

MTPockets

Also, check out the new Arizona chapter of the Heartland Owners Club. Click on Events and then the AZ chapter Rally Dates for details. Hope you can come.

wbbrowno

we just bought our first RV.....so can feel your concerns.....when you walk-in (after seeing many others) and say this is the one it probably is.....it was for us........Heartland is awesome, just make sure when you take delivery you request delivery and PDI with ready to camp....and test everything....trust me on that.....test all tanks, heaters, etc......if all pass then if u trust the dealer pull the trigger if the price is right

Zedd

Stacy

Welcome to the fifth wheel world! We too are newbies and finding our way around. I can't help with the choice other than to say whatever you buy stick with Heartland. The customer service we have received from them has been excellent and we bought used from a private individual! And I haven't even said how great this forum is and how helpful everyone is!

Good luck and enjoy!

stevenssr

I second what everyone else is saying. The only thing I can add may be obvious, but make sure you get two air conditioners if you live in AZ. I've tried one A/C in Texas and found there were too many days where one A/C just couldn't keep up. With teenagers it's always a guess in how long they will want to go with you and what you should plan for with them. Once they hit driving age, their interest in camping with mom and dad seems to decrease (I have a 19yr old). Most importantly, spend lots of time during the pre-delivery inspection. I wish you well in your decision.

wbbrowno

we messed up the PDI....ask for ready to camp PDI.....so u can test water (hot and cold....and everything else including fuel station if u have one

aznewmom

Hi Everyone!
WOW! Thanks for all of the input. I have forwarded some of your comments to my husband. I'm also encouraging him to join this forum.
Thanks for making me feel so welcome, too. Looks like we still have some homework to do. I looked up so many things yesterday; from the approximate cost of insurance, to finding comparable used units for prices, to FINALLY locating this forum. Even with all of THAT, my gut told me to keep poking about and ask questions. I'm most certainly glad I did. I'm happy to hear that everyone seems happy with Heartland, as a company. That is great to know. Sounds like there are tons of things to check on an RV like this. The sales people have been pretty nice. We did put some 'earnest' money down on this thing. We were told that it was 100% refundable if we change our minds, but it holds the coach from a sale. Even though they were nice and not 'pushy' at the dealer, I know that we can't live in limbo for too long. I suspect they will want a decision soon. (Anyone here deal with Lazy Days as a dealer?) I could post the pricing they are asking and what is on the coach, but I thought I read somewhere to not do that. Is it okay to do that here?
Well, I have to run, but THANKS again!
I will be back soon.
Cheers,
Stacy

danemayer

I could post the pricing they are asking and what is on the coach, but I thought I read somewhere to not do that. Is it okay to do that here?
Sorry Tracy, you can't post dealer prices. It's ok to put them in Private Messages (PMs) if there's someone willing to give you their opinion privately.

Grey Ghost

Hi Stacy and welcome. We live up in Phoenix so we know the heat of AZ. We have owned a few RVs over the years but found Heartland to be a very good brand and they seem very well made. Also there seems to be lots of support from the factory which is nice for a change. As far as finding the right one you will know when you see it, it will just feel right for you and yours. Lots depend upon your tow vehicle and how much it can safely handle. I'm sure you will find the right one for you and yours. Have fun out there and enjoy.
Hello everyone!!!
Glad to be here. I'm super nervous, but excited..........
After years of considering everything from a cab-over to a toy hauler, it looks like we just may purchase a 5th wheel THIS WEEK.
I have never driven an RV of any type. My DH has driven a friend's toy hauler (we borrowed it once to try it out), my dad's old motorhome, and various trailers and such through the years. We have two teens and love to camp. In recent years, however, it's gotten tougher and tougher to do the 'camp on the ground and use a tent' thing. These old bones and joints just can't do it any more. :rolleyes:
I'm Stacy and we live in Tucson, AZ.

We've been to a couple of dealerships, hitting one of them twice in the last few months.
This past weekend we found a 2013 Heartland Sundance 3200RE. It looks like it's in really nice shape, has a great layout for the family, and plenty of room.
We will be using it not only for roadtrips and camping, but also for school chess tournaments and traveling for the kid's music and sport events. I think it will also work great for that, as it has a nice, open floor plan where kids can hang out on bean bag chairs or something. (Or it at least LOOKS like that would work!)

So, I have LOTS of questions:
How do you KNOW it's the RIGHT RV for you and your family?
How do you KNOW that it's priced right?
How do you KNOW that it's not been in a wreck or something?
In other words, as a first time purchaser, what all do you look for in a 5th wheel?
This particular unit looks like the stove has never even been used! It appears to be super nice, but I'm nervous about purchasing someone else's problem. KWIM?

Well, this is getting long. Sorry about that.
I'm sure I will be around as we start off on this RV adventure.
Thanks ahead of time for any help or hints!
Cheers,
Stacy

aznewmom

Hi Stacy and welcome. We live up in Phoenix so we know the heat of AZ. We have owned a few RVs over the years but found Heartland to be a very good brand and they seem very well made. Also there seems to be lots of support from the factory which is nice for a change. As far as finding the right one you will know when you see it, it will just feel right for you and yours. Lots depend upon your tow vehicle and how much it can safely handle. I'm sure you will find the right one for you and yours. Have fun out there and enjoy.

Ok. Thanks.
I thought that was the case.

aznewmom

Thanks. Yes, the heat can be crazy when storing it here, I'm guessing.
The hope is to escape the summer heat from time to time. ;)
Our tow vehicle is a 2001 Chevy 3500 Diesel Dually. We call it, "The Beast".
My husband is sure that it will do the job.

CeeCee99

I recently bought my first "new" trailer. I would support buying "used" so the previous owner has hopefully worked out bugs from factory. You found something you like, now consider how it will serve your day to day needs to avoid frustration.There will always be things you don't notice until you have been in it awhile. One thing is the amount and shape/size of storage. In your kitchen: think about where dishes, food, utensils, towels, etc. will go and is it configured well. I bought a lot of wire shelves because I could double my storage. Very few items were as tall as the overhead cabinet is. Where will your heavy stuff go? Is there upright storage for brooms, vacuum, etc.? Basement storage adequate and easy to access? Clothing, camping gear, grill, chairs, etc. Your outdoor living goodies. Sleep areas adequate and comfortable? You may not get it all right, but where things and people will go is the most important consideration for your comfort. IMHO I would consider there is always another unit for sale out there and hopefully, if you want to keep looking, you can get your deposit refunded.

aznewmom

Hey everyone.
Well, we ended up NOT buying the RV after all.
Now, if this one is meant to be, then it will still be available after we do some more homework. Right?!
We have a few issues that really need to be worked out first. #1..........where the heck do we PARK it!! Currently, we have my father's old RV in the only spot a fifth wheel might fit. It has been used as a storage unit for many years now and need to be emptied and moved. We need to deal with it to make room. That also involves seeing if it is worth ANYTHING (for trade, perhaps?) or if we want to move it to a permanent spot we are thinking about, over in NM. OK, so that is issue #1.
On to #2............ We aren't sure if a fifth wheel is really the way we should go. We have looked at so many variations and are not 100% sure about a fifth wheel vs. a toy hauler (5th or otherwise) vs. a hitch trailer. We are now really leaning toward more of a travel trailer. We just aren't sure we want to permanently alter our truck. See, it has a shell on it, and the guys still use it for Boy Scout trips and camping/hiking. They usually are called upon to haul a LOT of the stuff. Plus, we use our truck for all sorts of other things. When my DH showed me a truck with the tailgate gone and a big hitch in the back, I really started to have second thoughts.
So, after a week of ruminating.......we, sadly, called the place back and said we just aren't ready.

I want to thank you all again for your help and input. I must say that I am really liking what I hear and see with Heartland.
If anyone has any input about other RV types, I'm all ears!
I will be sure to stop on back and let you all know what we end up getting.
This seems like a great group!
Cheers,
Stacy