Cabinet drawers open up when traveling

msredneck

Almost all of our cabinet drawers open themselves when we are towing the fiver. Does anyone else have this problem and a solution to this problem?

Garypowell

We have that problem every so often but sounds like yours is worse.

If you remove a drawer you will see the female part of what HL uses for a restraining system. On the backside of the drawer face below the drawer line you will find the male part. It is simply an older style of hardware that used to be used to keep cabinet doors closed.

Maybe be they were not installed in your coach since you say "all" of your drawers come open. Some of my drawers have two. Also possible yours are not lined up properly.

Others have put Velcro at the back of drawer or separate ways of restraining the drawers during travel.

Crumgater

I think someone here also suggested using hair bands (i.e. soft rubber bands) to hold door handles together and keep them closed. Maybe small pet collars (i.e. straps with clip-closures) would work, too?

We haven't had that problem - except when we had to stop short one day, and the heavy pots were able to push open the cabinet doors from the inside... luckily, we keep the heavy stuff at floor level, so no damage was done - just a small mess of putting stuff away again.

Grey Ghost

I've had to replace the female part of the door closer on two of my cabinets, not a real big issue, just another little hassle that goes along with owning an RV. Always seems like something need tweaking. Anyhow, I just stopped at an RV place and picked up a couple of new fasteners, they were nice enough to give them to me which is always nice. They sold Heartland RVs so they had some extras in the parts department. Good luck!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our coach did not have drawer catches on the kitchen drawers, and we had them added under warranty. The one under the fridge was a magnetic kind, and still came open occasionally, so I replaced the single magnetic catch with two of these:
ure6uqu4.jpg

Which match those of the cabinet drawers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have used a dowel rod inside the drawer handles to keep them from opening while traveling. I also use rubber bands on the cabinet knobs to keep them from opening, especially the cabinets next to the slide.