DWR, 2x4 or 4x4?

Kiltedpig

Never had a DWR but I have been hearing that 2x4 are slippery on wet and icy conditions compared to a SWR and you should get a 4x4 when getting a DWR. Opinions?

pegmikef

No idea and I have such a truck. I know it was really hairy during slippery conditions with my SRW 2x4 F250 and most other vehicles I have owned. That being said I have noticed in snowy and other slippery conditions, the front wheel drive vehicles do better than the rear wheel so that may be the basis for the 4 x 4, but I would think that would be true of any vehicle so equipped.

MTPockets

I've been stuck in sand twice and the 4wd was great. Also, when trade or sale time comes, 4wd will get better results.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This past winter, I was real happy to have the 4WD on my truck, just getting around the subdivision. And it's come into play at our campsite when the grass/sand was wet. A couple of times I had to drive the wife's front wheel drive Equinox in the snow and it wasn't fun.

Crumgater

We've had to use the 4x4 on wet grass, too... dug a really nice rut in the soft turf next to the pavement where the RV went. Camp hosts were nice about it - They assured us we were not the first to dig such a divot.

I've only ever had SRW, so no idea on DRW.

As for front-vs-rear drive... as long as you know which you have, you can adjust as necessary. When front wheel drive first came out, I recall MANY cars breaking out on the front (steering) wheels and being totally lost in the snow. While we pushed right on through with our rear-wheel-drive "sled" of a station wagon. Of course, studded tires also helped...

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I bought my Ram truck, I specifically ordered it without 4wd. I had it on a GMC 2500 and only used it twice in the 7 years that we owned the truck, so why spend the extra money for it? And I didn't want the rear of my truck sticking way up in the air either.

The first major trip we took with the new truck was to the Rio Grande Valley where it hadn't rained in about two years and the night before we left, it rained hard all night and continued while I got hooked up. Of course, you know the rest, got stuck and had to be pulled out by a buddy with his ford!!! I took a good razzin' over it and haven't had another need for it again. I'd do it again. 2wd for me.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Due to icy potential where we live and when we travel for skiing, we prefer having 4x4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Having 4x4 is better than not having it when ya get stuck. More expensive but well worth it.

Birchwood

Never had a DWR but I have been hearing that 2x4 are slippery on wet and icy conditions compared to a SWR and you should get a 4x4 when getting a DWR. Opinions?

I guess when you think about it there is less pounds per square inch on the four rear tires than on a SRW two rear tires.If you carried a couple thousand pounds in the box of a dually it would be like a tank.Yes if you travel in slippery wet icy conditions a four wheel drive would make sense.

caissiel

Diesel engine puts to much weight on the front axle and the rear need extra for traction. Gas may work but I always got my investment back on the 4 x 4. Myself I use it all the time when on grass. Also have to use it to move the trailer wheels on my blocking. The hitch weight is not enough for preventing the rear tire spinning.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

scottyb

4x4's around here will recapture most of your investment at resale. I will never own another 2WD vehicle unless it's a vintage muscle car. Wife drives 4x4 diesels too. DRW because you have to, or because you like the safety and stability and don't care if it cost you more money and more trouble to drive one.

whp4262

I've had SRW and DRW diesel trucks and as caissiel said the Diesel engine is heavy and put a lot of weight on the front. My trucks were worthless in 2 wheel drive if it was slick. So for me 4x4 is the only way I'll buy a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I'd like a 2WD DRW for the ride and cost savings. But, twice since we have had the 5th wheel I have needed 4WD to get in or out of a space. Once was sand and once just grass. So, it will be 4WD until we leave the NE.

Grey Ghost

I've had both 2 wd and 4x4 and now driving a 2wd, which rides better and is less expensive, however I miss the 4x4 at times. I guess it has a lot to do with where you're going camping! We now stay in mostly RV Parks and campgrounds that are paved and offer all the services, however when we camped in Colorado and were in the outback a lot the 4x4 was a MUST! I like the sturdy feel of the 4x4 but love the gas mileage of the 2wd. Really depends upon where you're going and what type of camping you are going to do the most of. If dry camping in the mountains or high deserts I would highly recommend the 4x4! Just driving down the interstate on dry roads and camping at RV Parks, I would stay with the 2 wd. As always the more stuff that can go wrong, will go wrong and it will cost much more to fix!!

caissiel

I have manual locking hubs on my Ford and many times I travel with the hubs locked and never notice mileage difference. With a diesel 200 lbs and a little drag does not show on my mileage. For traction I see many 2wd with a load of sand bags frozen by the tail gate. I would never attempt that in case of braking hard and get the frozen bags in the rear of the cab.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

Bohemian

Traction (sticking to the road) with all other things being equal (which they never are):

SRW vs DRW

DRW as more tire surface area on the road so the rear should have more total traction.
On a DRW the load (weight) is shared between two tires so there is less weight on each tire, less pressure on each tire and less traction per tire. Thus, a greater tendency for each individual tire to slip if the total traction is insufficient.

Therefor, if you are careful to use low power acceleration DRW should have more traction. If you step on the accelerator hard DRW should slip sooner.

2x4 v 4x4

A free rolling tire has greater traction on the road than a tire under power which is always slipping to some degree. Thus a powered tire is more likely to lose traction than a free wheeling tire and we have the 2 wheel power sliding racing turn.

In 4WD mode: the normally free wheeling tires loses some traction, the normally powered tires gain some traction. You have more tires pushing the vehicle. You are less likely to slip in the drive direction because if one tire slips, 3 still grip. You are more likely to slip side to side. Total traction is down.

dbhutchins

In this part of the world we have a saying: "a 2wd pickup is a truck looking for a place to get stuck".

Unless you never drive off the pavement and never drive on snow, I would suggest 4wd is the answer. Re: DRW - IMO, the only reason for having dualies is the extra load carrying capacity you get. If your rig is within the rear axle/tire load capacity I can't imagine being willing to put up with the hassles...

Jim.Allison

I don't think what you have heard is accurate. DRW have a larger traction patch than a SRW vehicle, so I don't think that you can make that case. But if you are considering a new purchase such as a diesel DRW, Buy the 4X4, you will have excellent resale and you will get the benefit of having used it. I use mine in the rain on slick streets on o gravel roads. It lets you go where no man has gone before with your fiver. LOL. The initial cost is small compared to what you are buying. But for the reasons you stated, no, I don't think that is a reason to invest in it. But pulling into a ski resort after a snow is a reason. Rain, flooding, ice, wet grades, etc. As far as milage is concerned, diesels are going to get you the milage. My RAM gets 22 at 70mph unloaded highway. Loaded, you are not going to notice if you have 4x4. you will get about 12 to 13.