Do I have a problem?

kdubinwa

I was camping last week at a state park with shore power connected. In the evenings I could hear the converter/charger fan come on and the interior lights would get brighter and remain brighter for about 30 seconds... until the converter/charger cycled off. This would repeat about every 20-25 minutes. I had not noticed this previously so I wonder if something is going out and I need to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Kurt

Grey Ghost

Sounds like your converter might be going out, might want to get that checked.
I was camping last week at a state park with shore power connected. In the evenings I could hear the converter/charger fan come on and the interior lights would get brighter and remain brighter for about 30 seconds... until the converter/charger cycled off. This would repeat about every 20-25 minutes. I had not noticed this previously so I wonder if something is going out and I need to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Kurt

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If you are talking about your 12v lighting getting brighter when the fan comes on you will be buying a new battery pretty soon.

evolvingpowercat

If the converter sees the voltage across it drop below 12.5 or so it will increase output and will drive voltage up to the 13 volt range. This is not that much of a percentage change and should not generate much change in lighting brightness. But the voltage will fluctuate some and some change in brightness with voltage change is normal.

You can buy a digital volt meter at a wal-mart, hardware store, or auto parts store and monitor the voltage and see exactly what it is changing between. if you post again and tell us what the voltage is doing some of us geeks on the forum can share more theories on what is happening.

kdubinwa

Thanks Randy et al for the suggestions.

I do have a multimeter and will be back near my 5ver in a couple of weeks and will test the voltage. Where is the easiest place to measure the voltage? at the lights, battery? the converter is behind my panel and will take some work to get to...

Best,
Kurt

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks Randy et al for the suggestions.

I do have a multimeter and will be back near my 5ver in a couple of weeks and will test the voltage. Where is the easiest place to measure the voltage? at the lights, battery? the converter is behind my panel and will take some work to get to...

Best,
Kurt

You should be able to measure it at the battery. When the converter is in Boost mode, the 12V lighting will brighten until it's got the battery back up to charge, then drop back down. As mentioned, the more 12V items you are using, the more frequently the converter will charge the battery. Progressive also sells a small Charge Wizard Pendant with a blinking indicator light that shows what the converter is doing. Simple plug into the side of the converter. It's the small box next to the center, between the awning switch and the suppressor display.

Here is an excerpt from the Progressive manual, which you can download from their website. It is also in the Tools section at the top of this page, under USER MANUALS/ELECTRICAL/CONVERTERS.

NORMAL MODE: Output voltage set at 13.6 volts DC. This voltage provides good charging rates and low water usage.
BOOST MODE: If the converter senses that the battery voltage has dropped below a preset level the output voltage is increased to 14.4 volts DC to rapidly recharge the batteries.
STORAGE MODE: When the converter senses that there has been no significant battery usage for approximately 30 hours the output voltage is reduced to 13.2 volts DC for minimal water usage.
EQUALIZATION MODE: When in storage mode the microprocessor automatically increases the output voltage to 14.4 volts for 15 minutes every 21 hours. This will help to reduce the buildup of sulfation on the battery plates.

View attachment 30011