Edge preventative maintenance suggestions

evolvingpowercat

I am giving my 2011 Edge M21 a good going over in preparation for extended travel to Alaska and Canada this summer and thought I would share some areas that I have had to do some preventative maintenance and some things to watch out for that others may want to consider as well, if you like to make your Edge last a long time:

• The black weather protection layer under the sandwich floor of the Edge that is open to the ground had been cut thru by the frame rail on the door side on the outer wall facing side for a length of a few inches in front of the door. I suspect it was cut during assembly at the factory due to frame having a sharp edge that had not been ground smooth there, that worked thru the black layer over time. It looked like spray from driving on wet roads was able to get in to the cut and was starting to do some minor damage to the lower 3/32 inch plywood layer of the sandwich. The rest of the floor to frame boundary seemed to be OK. The area of the cut was all dried out at this time, so I was able to seal the cut with metal tape before any major harm was done. I found several more places under the edge where the black protection layer had cuts, but not all the way thru yet, that I sealed with metal tape as well.

• There was quite a bit of surface rust on the gas line turn and tee fittings under my edge, I sprayed them all with black rust-o-leum paint just to slow it down some, more of a cosmetic deal than anything else.

• There was rust forming on the step parts, also fixed with the black rust-o-leum paint. Its also pretty easy to adjust the step to level it, if your step is starting to tilt down in front. Just held on by a few treaded fasteners. Rust was also starting on the toy lock housing, so it got a shot of paint too.

• The Edge frame is starting to get some very light surface rust in particular in the rail weld seams, I am going to watch this carefully and paint before next season.

• The soft gas lines under the Edge were routed so that they were lower than anything else in the areas behind the wheels, I carefully adjusted them so that they are closer to the floor and not hanging down as much.

• It was amazing to me how much gunk had accumulated on the inside and outside of the vent cover after 2 years, and on inside and outside of the Maxx-Air rain cover I had installed over it. I cleaned and it's amazing how much more light I have in the bathroom now!