RV gas grill quick connect USE with regular gas grill?

Miltp920

I have a red coleman portable gas grill. It can work with those small green screw on propane bottles. I have a gas hose from my propane heater that will connect to grill that I think I could modify to hookup to RV quick connection. I called my dealer today to ask what kind of fitting I needed to ask for to hook up to RV grill quick connect fitting gas line for my coleman grill. He said that line is for LOW PRESSURE RV type gas grills, and normal gas grills operate on high pressure propane. Anyone validate or inform us if they are successfully using this connection on RV for normal gas grill use?

priorguy

They're right. I wanted to use my portable grill on my tent trailer with the stove quick connect. You need to connect at the tank before the regulator. A "Y" adapter like this would work.

vypydyru.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILH

There are a few threads on this already. I went through this issue when I first got my 5th wheel. I have a Weber grill - and although some have removed the regulator, Weber warns against this.

pegmikef

He is correct. There are grills that will work with the low pressure such as the Olympian 5500 that works well. From all I have read in has been advised not to modify regular grills to run on low pressure. I think Weber has a kit where you can convert them . . . maybe Coleman does too.

Stinger381

I took the regulator off my Weber Q220 and had a hose made to connect it to the quick connect. It worked fine. The only problem was I loved the Q grill so much I wanted to use it at home and I couldn't because it was missing the regulator. I just got the hose for the 20 lbs cylinder and I tote one with me when I camp. The small green propane bottles are a pain but good in a pinch.

ILH

I took the regulator off my Weber Q220 and had a hose made to connect it to the quick connect. It worked fine. The only problem was I loved the Q grill so much I wanted to use it at home and I couldn't because it was missing the regulator. I just got the hose for the 20 lbs cylinder and I tote one with me when I camp. The small green propane bottles are a pain but good in a pinch.

If I understand correctly, did you add a regulator to the hose when you use the 20 lb tank?

Crumgater

You want ONE, and ONLY ONE regulator between the propane tank and the grill.

Since the low-pressure quick connect is after the regulator, you don't want a second one at the grill.
If you connect straight to the 20lb tank, you DO need a regulator.

Miltp920

So I am looking for a Y that would go right on one of my RV propane tanks, unless I want to tote an extra 20lb tank. I have the hose already. Right now I am toting an extra tank, fits easily into TH, and that is also an insurance policy IF I run out of propane in the middle of the night AND need heat. Thanks for the picture, I now know what to look for.

They're right. I wanted to use my portable grill on my tent trailer with the stove quick connect. You need to connect at the tank before the regulator. A "Y" adapter like this would work.

vypydyru.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had one of those but didn't like being limited to using the grill within the 12 foot hose length. I still use the 20# LP bottle and travel with it in a plastic milk crate in the truck bed.

Stinger381

If I understand correctly, did you add a regulator to the hose when you use the 20 lb tank?

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I put the regulator back on the Weber Q grill and use the 20 lbs cylinder. Just remember to use a little Teflon tape on the threads when you changed out the parts.

pegmikef

I had one of those but didn't like being limited to using the grill within the 12 foot hose length. I still use the 20# LP bottle and travel with it in a plastic milk crate in the truck bed.

I finally broke down and bought one of those overpriced 1 gallon LP bottles from CW. Easy to store and easy to tote.

Stinger381

I have always wanted one of those too! I just got a plastic milk crate and place my 20 lbs cylinder in the milk crate and haul it in the back of the TV. The milk crate keeps it from sliding around or turning over. Why can't they make a cylinder with a square bottom?

happyappy

If you are tight on space, here's another idea. Refill your small propane tanks from your main tank instead of disposing of them.

Link

I've refilled tanks for years for our Boy Scout Troop. The key is getting the small tank very cold before filling.

priorguy

I have a convert-a-ball truck bed step that also hold a propane cylinder in the corner of the truck bed when folded.

ujejena8.jpg

Miltp920

This is a great idea. I was in scouting as a teen, as was my son and I later. Thanks for articipating in a worthwhile organization.

If you are tight on space, here's another idea. Refill your small propane tanks from your main tank instead of disposing of them.

Link

I've refilled tanks for years for our Boy Scout Troop. The key is getting the small tank very cold before filling.