Sound-proofing for bedroom?

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We have a question on sound-proofing the bedroom of the 3055. Patti uses the unit in Dallas when she's at her part-time gig, and we've noticed that we have considerably more ambient noise in this unit than the last RV. She tried the sleeping with her head at the foot, which does some good. Unfortunately, our monthly space is close to a highway and railroad line. She hears the traffic all night and the train conveniently toots the horn about 300 yds. from the spot.
Has anyone found a method to quieten the rumble? She doesn't sleep well, anyway. We've tried the white noise machines, but she says you can't really dampen the traffic. Short of installing heavy drapes around the bedroom, we'll try anything.

aquiring signal

I don't think it's your unit. It's your location. Any chance of moving to a quieter RV park?

We were in Seattle recently (with our previous trailer) and for a while stayed at a park in Issaquah, Washington right next to I-90. The noise took some getting used to. We found a box fan drowns a lot out. Foam ear plugs work for some, too.

But 20 miles away we found a park with no highway nearby, dead quiet at night. Location, location, location. I know sometimes you don't get a choice as there may not be a better park close to work.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We found this nice small Mom & Daughter RV place just 10 minutes from her work and it's very affordable for where and what it is. We spent the money and had the 30 amp service upgraded to 50 amp. Most of the units are also part-timers and leave the units parked. It's less expensive for us to leave it there than drive 200 miles back home and then back there 3 weeks later. Since we use the unit for travel about 4 months of the year, it is a better deal than bringing back and forth to the Louisiana/Texas State Line. The "Manager" of the RV park is very conscientious (Nosey) about what goes on. Besides, if I get the itch to go to Dallas for a reminder of why I hate and left Dallas, I can go spend the night.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
P.S. I forgot to add, this unit is not as quiet as the other. I can't explain the reason why, but the location is the same. Our other unit was an '04 Doubletree and it was very quiet. The bedroom slide is on the same side, and the closet wasn't as big as this unit. Maybe I should put more clothes in the closet...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I too have noticed a bit of an increase in the noise in our bedroom. I think it's safe to say the walls of the slides are not as thick as the main sidewalls. I don't know how they compare to Doubletree. Are your windows dual pane? If so, maybe just adding some "padded Material" like pieces of a quilt to the inner walls of the bedroom slide may help.

StevieWonder

The train horn blowing is mandatory if there is a grade crossing (road crossing without an overpass/underpass). No RV or even a house is going to make that noise undetectable at 300 yds. The box fan idea posted above is a kind of variation of "white noise" that helps blank out the more obtrusive external sources. Windows are a major entry point so you might consider something to put in the slideout windows like some polyurethane foam (it's light so you could attach it with velcro and remove it when you don't need the insulation.

OR ... maybe it's like music ... if it's too loud, then you're too old! ;)

StevieWonder

A large sheet of polyurethane foam like the "egg crate" variety used in mattress toppers could also be placed on the slide walls using temporary attachments like Velcro. Not very appealing aesthetically but functional.

7331lvn.jpg

Here's one source, I'm fairly sure you could find something similar at Walmart or Target.

http://mattresszine.com/mattress-shopping/beautyrest-eggcrate-foam-mattress-pad/

Last edited:

timk

There is a place in California, Emma Wood state beach. Its the nicest lousy place we've been. About 30 feet away is a train track, and about 30 feet the other way is the Pacific ocean. At night you sometimes wonder if its the train or the ocean. Might try getting an ocean, or turning up the sound machine.