Tail gate on or off

INDave

Do you leave your tail gate on or take it off when pulling a 5th wheel. First two trips I took I left it on then decided it was a lot easier to hook up with it off. The first two trips to our lake lot I got 12 mpg, after that my mileage dropped to 10 mpg and the only diff is the tail gate. Is the tail gate making the diff? Just wondering what other guys do. Going to leave it on next trip and see.....Dave

sengli

I leave mine on, basically because I haul alot of stuff in the bed while towing. I have seen those aftermarket versions which air could pass thru, I just didnt think it was worth the $ to have one.

DougS

Doug S
I use the V-Gate and a bed cover for security of my generators. I have seen too many damaged tailgates from backing into pin box to leave original equipment tailgate on.

pegmikef

I leave mine on and my MPG runs 10 to 13 (once 14) dependent on weather and terrain (I have same rig as you). When hooking up I just place a cone about 18 inches in front of the pin and then backup using the backup camera until I reach the cone. Then I open the tailgate and pickup the cone. The first item on the checklist for unhooking is to open the tailgate. Never have had a problem and I like the tailgate because I am always hauling stuff between it and the hitch when hooked up.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Tailgate off. Use $50 cargo net. Cheaper to replace than OEM tailgate ! On last day of 10 week trip, 10,000 miles, last check overall mpg was 11.8. Relaxing at Parker Dam SP in PA. Home tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunset4k

Pegmikef.. I agree.. First item on the unhook checklist is the tailgate. DW is a stickler for those checklists and they have sure helped us along the way. Like your cone idea.. Think will give that one a try.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since I use the pin (from under the overhang) to align the hitch as I move into position, it's pretty obvious if the gate is up or down. I use the plug socket I installed in the bed, so I have to drop the gate to unhitch.

Sumo

I believe all of these test when done without a 5th wheel attached. I wonder how the addition of the trailer effects the wind flow in the truck bed.

I use the V shaped tail gate cause I'm lazy.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I leave mine off when towing. I have a rear mounted low profile tool box that pretty much keeps stuff in the bed and without the tailgate, access to the box is much easier too. If I'm not going to tow for a long period while we're either at home or down south I put the tailgate back on.

stevenssr

Tail gate on for me. First off, I have a backup camera in the tailgate that I don't use for the 5er but it definitely comes in handy other times. I also have a bed cover. Again not real handy for actual 5er movement, but handy any other time. When I'm not trailering I lock the tailgate and bedcover. It also covers the hitch when not in use (which looks better). I can't answer to the tailgate mileage concern, but I haven't seen much difference in having the bedcover open or shut. I imagine it does help (a little), but the difference is so small in comparison to everything else going on, that it's negligible. However, if I do ever have a tailgate incident, then I'll move to one of the RV gates (cheaper vs a new tailgate).

Birchwood

Leave it on as it gives the truck a cleaner look especially when not hauling.I use a tonneau cover and all is secure.Someday I will probably bend it but maybe insurance will cover a new one.

caissiel

This my 4 th truck in 22 years of trailering with a 5th wheel. I have always fabricated my own tailgates and stored the truck original tailgate. No way I have use of any other as mine are fully functionable and practical.
Never cover my stuff and never lost anything.
I do have a front and lower back boxes that I store my tools and kayak equipment. I seldom lock those neither. I use my truck alarm when I lock up the truck.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

MTPockets

It's full on for me. Primarily for the clean look with folding bed cover. We're unhooked a lot more than hooked, and I just don't like that cluttered look of an open truck and hitch and other stuff in the bed when driving around without 5vr.

Birchwood

It's full on for me. Primarily for the clean look with folding bed cover. We're unhooked a lot more than hooked, and I just don't like that cluttered look of an open truck and hitch and other stuff in the bed when driving around without 5vr.

I use the same concept.

Lynn1130

On. I read someplace that trucks are designed to get better mileage when the gate is on. Better air flow, but mainly I use the back for other hauling and don't want things scattered all over the road.

Medic403

For what it's worth, Mythbusters tested this a few years ago and found that you get better gas mileage by leaving the tail gate on. They found that the air comes over the cab and hits the tail gate then starts a circular motion between the tail gate and cab and allows the rest of the air to go over the tail gate. When the tail gate is off it causes more of a drag. When pulling a 5th wheel, there is a lot of air going down into the bed, I know this because I launched a 120 qt cooler (empty) out of the bed between the cab and front of the trailer. I don't know how high it went because I lost site of it in my side mirror until it finally came down. I just kept on going.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
In some states if you do not have a tailgate you can't carry anything in the truck bed. I think this is true in Texas. If you have a net or such then there is no problem.

FWIW
BC