Dish Tailgators programming questions

Kblock108

Hey guys, I got the tailgator a few months ago as a gift and the first time I used it, I had to speak with tech support. Seems they had to change my home programming to reflect where I was at the time I was camping, which seems dumb to me. Anyhow, I have some trips coming up and many I may not even have cell reception. So I was wondering how many of you with the system use it, the lady from another far far away land that I spoke with on the phone was zero help. Thanks

pegmikef

I have used it since it came out about three years ago. I never call them and I don't have Dish at my residence. I know some folks call them all the time, but that is usually so they can get their local channels. If you don't care about them, then all you have to do is follow the on screen prompts to designate your general location (e.g., West Texas) and make sure you have it pointed so there is an unobstructed view to the southern sky.

I keep mine in the rig so when we are home, I don't use it which is somewhat problematic because Dish periodically downloads software updates and if you don't have it set up and miss the download you will have to call them. After I did that two or three times they finally told me to just ask the tech for a "hit" and they will update your receiver and will skip all of their diagnostic attempts and questions. Just make sure you are all setup with the receiver on when you call them. Knowing this, I always set mine up in the drive way to make sure its ready before I leave for anywhere (especially cell dead zones such as Big Bend National Forest).

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Kblock, I just activated my Winegard Pathway X2 portable satellite system with Dish. I have the no contract, pay by the month, programing. Dish told me I can turn it off if I am off the road for an extended period of time, and I can call for local channels any time I want. There is no extra charge for the local channel changes. I only change the local channels if I am set up for a long period of time, a week or longer. Send me and email if you have any other questions, tank67tommy@gmail.com. Happy camping.

GOTTOYS

I pay $7.00 a month for the use of a second receiver along with my home Dish system. I use that receiver with my Tailgator. I get the same programs that I get at home with the exception of my local channels if I am too far away. I just use my antenna for whatever local programs are available in the area I'm at. I don't have to call anyone or change any programming. I hook it up, turn it on and it works. Occasionally if I haven't used it in awhile I need to have them send me a signal to get it to work again. When you call them ask to speak to someone in their RV department. They are in the States and understand what you are doing...Don

MTPockets

We use it constantly and call them to get local channels depending on where we are. Example, we were in Southern Utah and were set to Salt Lake City for local channels. We moved north 200 miles and did not have to call, as it still found the same channels.... Depends on how far you go, but of course you always get the channels over about #80.

Kblock108

Thanks guys for the info, now I think back the first time I used it was the time I had issues. Before our next trips I will power it up before I leave and hopefully this saves me from some issues. I just want to make sure I dont miss the Stanley Cup game this weekend while I am gone :)