Cruise Control

iaflatlander

So I was reading on another forum about a problem someone was having with their truck's cruise control when they are towing. It got me thinking. I don't use cruise when I'm pulling our fifth wheel. Just doesn't feel safe to me.

Do you?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, unless the traffic is congested. I wouldn't use it in real hill country, but here in Michigan, it's no problem.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I don't use it ever. Many studies suggest not using it or not using it for extended periods of time. Two factors behind this, first if something should happen while driving like you fall asleep, you will crash at the cruise control speed. Studies have shown that taking the thought process behind keeping your vehicle at the speed you want it to be away from driving can make people lazy and sleepy. Secondly, in a panic stop situation when you realize you need to stop as soon as you let off of the gas you begin to slow down. Not exactly the same with the cruise on unless you have your foot hovering over the brake. It may only be seconds difference in response time but second count especially for those of you pulling the rolling houses.

marvmarcy

Yes, I use it most of the time. My CC is usually on and engaged, just not in heavy traffic. Most OTR hd trucks (class 7 & 8) are programmed to develop more hp and torque with CC on. This is mostly because they generally get better fuel economy with CC on. This may not be true with most ldts and some mdts. I love the CC and jake brake in hills because I can more-easily maintain speed, and the jake brake automatically engages in stages when I go over 4-5 mph above the CC setting on downhills. In my truck, I feel comfortable and safe using CC most of the time. I'm not suggesting anyone do something they're not comfortable doing in their truck.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I always use cruise control unless in hilly country or the mountains. I get better mileage and haven't had a problem with using it.

priorguy

I always use cruise control unless in hilly country or the mountains. I get better mileage and haven't had a problem with using it.

Me too. Plus some of these old bones (almost 40) need a rest once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

I rarely used CC in my 2001 as it would down shift a lot to maintain speed. I recently took a trip into KY with some pretty good hills set cruise and was amazed how well it worked without shifting down at all.

Garypowell

I use it frequently but as others have said not in hills or heavy traffic. I use it a lot to allow myself to shift around and change positions. I also use the up and down speed button to adjust speed.

ILH

I use it frequently. In fact, from a safety standpoint, I would argue that I'm better able to concentrate on the vehicles around me (all the mirrors), my tpms and other factors without having to continually look down to verify my speed. As with others, I don't use it in traffic or hilly terrain. Also, with my CC engaged and my exhaust brake on, my downhill speed is automated too.

MTPockets

I use cruise control Almost all the time when cruising. I may slow down on longer grades to keep RPM from screaming, but overall let it do it's thing.

scottyb

I use mine a lot too but I like to take control in the hills. I hate the erratic downshifts. I think it is better to let gravity do it's part and not fight it, up or down.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I use CC on everything....Truck, car and motorcycle.
There would be less highway congestion and probably fewer accidents if everyone did IMHO

Seren

Live in Panama City, but bought our Landmark in Knoxville, and except for traffic, or driving through towns, used CC including hills in TN. 2014 Denali handled it wonderfully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lynn1130

Yes, up hill, and on flat land. Down hill the exhaust brake kicks me out of CC. I wish more people would use it so that we would not have the constant "speed up, slow down" on the open road and while we are on it I wish some people would learn to take their vehicle out of overdrive going down mountain grades so they would not be on the brake every quarter mile. Oh, and stay in the right lane when not passing (it is the law in Arizona). OK now I feel better.

porthole

Retired
I use CC on everything....Truck, car and motorcycle.

I do as well.
I will disengage it after cresting a hill to allow gravity to do some work and to keep from excessive trans downshifting.

Also use something similar on our boat, engine synchronizers. Basically the system uses one engine as a "master" and a form of cruise control on the slave engine to keep the engine speeds the same.

wdk450

I use it frequently but as others have said not in hills or heavy traffic. I use it a lot to allow myself to shift around and change positions. I also use the up and down speed button to adjust speed.

I will add a "Ditto" to Gary's post, just adding that my cruise control helps keep me California towing speed legal at 55 mph, which I follow in ALL states.

pegmikef

Like the others, I use it most of the time dependent on terrain and traffic. I also never use it in rain. I used to but the last safe driving course we had recommended against it because of potential surprise slippery spots andflash flooding (which is often here in West Texas when we get rain).

Ladiver

I use CC most of the time while towing. Once I get out of traffic, a combination of CC and exhaust brake make hills uneventful. I set the speed and stay within 2 mph regardless of hills. This allows me to keep the speed within the posted limit. I like to drive fast, and towing between 55 and 60 is SLOW!!!!!!!! But 55 is what it is here in CA. Not worth the speeding ticket.

I also get a kick out of setting my speed and having people fly by me at 70+ on the flat land, only to have me pass them up in the hills as their 3/4 ton, raised truck, pulling a 40+ foot, loaded, three axle toy hauler is struggling to get 35mph up a 6% grade! Yes, we see this all the time here in California. Too many people listen to the salesman that said their truck can pull it. ;-)